HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

STILL more recent aquisitions...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 5:03 pm    Post subject: STILL more recent aquisitions... Reply with quote

Death, _Symbolic_
It seems pretty obvious to me now, like never before, how much Chuck sounds like he must've been a big influence on Jeff Loomis. I just hear a lot of a similar approach to riffing and soloing, kinda indescribable, but I know it's there. Anyway...yet again, Death has won me over now that Chuck's dead, the only Death album I had before his demise having done little for me (_The Sound Of Perseverance_). Only complaints: Chuck's rasp was never very good, and I can't say I care for the playing of (new, and soon old) second guitarist Bobby Koelble.
Rating: 9

The Gathering, _Downfall: The Early Years_
Wow, you'd have to be a Gathering superfreak to much get into this package, consisting of three early early demos (waaaaay before Anneke entered the picture) when this band was more or less your standard doom/death act. With a grunter on vocals. So, yeah, there really isn't much crossover potential for fans of today's The Gathering. On the plus side, three early demos from such an esteemed band is a definite curiosity for fans, and there's even a second disc featuring an entire concert from the era on CD-ROM. Haven't watched it yet, because half these songs are putting me to sleep. I don't know if I want to hear them while having to stare in one very narrow direction towards my computer monitor.
Rating: 6

At The Gates, _With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness_
Great title - sounds like a concept album about going down on a woman with herpes! At The Gates is the band most often credited with pioneering the Swedish melodic death metal thing, which strikes me as more odd with each release of theirs I hear, because this doesn't sound to me to be any more melodic - or even more "melodic death metal" - than albums by Death or Carcass at the time. Thinly produced, annoying vocals, lots and lots and lots of riffs...arguably a classic in its way, but I do wonder if that has more to do with geographic accident than anything else. This band would improve.
Rating: 5.5

Summoning, _Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame_
Every so often, along comes a piece of music which just makes me glad I've lived long enough to hear it. Such is the case with the arpeggiated guitar melodies in "Runes Of Power", which I could listen to all day. As for the rest of the album, it's not too different from _Stronghold_ - like Viking Bathory with a dash of keyboardy black metal, and oddly enough, a power metal-like melodic base, which is what keeps me thinking of this band as a Bal-Sagoth played at quarter speed. Whereas most "epic" bands try to plunge you right into cosmic and legendary upheaval, Summoning seems to be going for a more "distant" approach, like you're hearing about a tale passed down a thousand times. And I think that's pretty damn cool. Lots of samples from the BBC Radio broadcast of The Lord Of The Rings (or whatever it was Raider said...dammit, Raider, what'd you say?), which are arguably a little overused, but I didn't mind them at all. My only complaint, still, the cheesy keyboard tones, Summoning obviously knowing what they want from their keys but I suspect they just don't know very much about the instrument. Still, a fine, fine album, one I'll be listening to as much as _Stronghold_, and I've listened to that one a lot.
Rating: 9
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 8:09 pm    Post subject: STILL more recent aquisitions... Reply with quote

New Blind Guardian arrived today [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Ungodly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 8:15 pm    Post subject: STILL more recent aquisitions... Reply with quote

Me personally I have all of Death's cd's and I think that Individual Thought Patterns (Cd prior to Symbolic with Andy LaRoque) and Symbolic were the best offerings from Chuck. I felt SOP was weak compared to the 2 previous releases.
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 1:18 am    Post subject: STILL more recent aquisitions... Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Midnight Sun not the band:
New Blind Guardian arrived today [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I'll be waiting at least another week for it. And a bunch of other cool stuff, like Elvenking and Finntroll. It's like a folk-metal festival!
Mayhem62

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 1:56 pm    Post subject: STILL more recent aquisitions... Reply with quote

I agree with you Ungodly, Individual Thought Patterns and Symbolic were very good discs. Symbolic was my first Death cd to get and was pleased with it.

My latest pick-ups:
Blind Guardian - A Night at the Opera
Running Wild - The Rivalry
zombie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 2:50 pm    Post subject: STILL more recent aquisitions... Reply with quote

I picked up Megadeth's latest
and Danzig's live 2cd set
'live on the black hand side'
Raider

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 10:44 pm    Post subject: STILL more recent aquisitions... Reply with quote

I hate all you people who already have Blind Guardian. It will be at least three or four days before mine arrives, and do to certain conditions, it might be over a week before I get to hear it.

Tyranno: They're from a BBC radio broadcast. I think it's the one where Ian Holmes (who plays Bilbo in the movie) did the voice of Frodo. Surely there couldn't be more than one, could there? Silenius said in the interview the broadcast spanned several CDs. If you're really an over-dedicated fan like myself (already), then the interview is here: [url=http://www.gnosiszine.com]www.gnosiszine.com[/url] There's a link to it on the main page. Some cool pictures that aren't in the booklet. The interview starts off cool talking about the LOTR movie, Summoning's new album (Let Mortal Heroes...), their involvement in Abigor, etc. Eventually it gets kinda boring though, when they get off on a tangent talking about European dark ambient bands.
THRASHCRAZED

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 10:55 pm    Post subject: STILL more recent aquisitions... Reply with quote

I grew up with the second Death cd, "Leprosy" and everything after that got better and better. R.I.P. Chuck!!!! [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img]
metalblood

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 1:25 pm    Post subject: STILL more recent aquisitions... Reply with quote

Tristania- World of Glass
Blind Guardian- A Night at the Opera
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: