HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If metal was massively popular...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 2:53 am    Post subject: If metal was massively popular... Reply with quote

I generally say this would be a bad thing, but it would have one advantage: videos would be MUCH more cool. Huge-budget pop videos are for songs about love and sex and good times. Metal songs are about getting lost at sea, in the Arctic.
Desslar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 10:53 am    Post subject: If metal was massively popular... Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrannorabbit:
I generally say this would be a bad thing, but it would have one advantage: videos would be MUCH more cool. Huge-budget pop videos are for songs about love and sex and good times. Metal songs are about getting lost at sea, in the Arctic.

I heartily agree. This is one of the reasons I always have to laugh if someone says metal is better off as an underground genre. I'm not sure what you mean about the Arctic, but there used to be a lot more cool metal videos than there are today.
JesseR72

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 4:38 pm    Post subject: If metal was massively popular... Reply with quote

How about huge budget stage shows? Savatage was awesome enough in a rinky-dink club setting, but imagine them in an arena with a big budget light show! They'd be....The Trans Siberian Orchestra!
THE MIGHTY THOR INTREPID

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 8:36 pm    Post subject: If metal was massively popular... Reply with quote

I agree - oversaturation and the mundane copy cats kill anything that gets popular. But, however cool it is to see some great bands in extremely intimate settings (read as shite hole dive bars), I do miss the arena shows!
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 8:51 pm    Post subject: If metal was massively popular... Reply with quote

Yup the arena shows were great. I had a great time when I caught the Maiden/Queensryche/Halford tour in Vancouver but sadly haven't seen a metal show since.

In the 80's/early 90's when metal was "popular" I saw bands like Maiden, Priest, GNR (opened for Maiden), AC/DC, Triumph, Helix, Y&T, Motley Crue, Queensryche, Scorpions, Brighton Rock, LA Guns, Tesla, Whitesnake, Metallica, Great White, Skid Row, Aerosmith, Cinderella, Tangier, White Lion, Wild T and the Spirit, Warrior Soul, Bon Jovi (opened for Priest July 1986) at the Ottawa Civic Centre.

Nowadays the metal/hard rock acts that can draw a crowd just bring along bands that probably can't play at their level. Ozzy has The Tea Party open up for him? [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img]
General Zod

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 10:38 pm    Post subject: If metal was massively popular... Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Desslar:
I heartily agree. This is one of the reasons I always have to laugh if someone says metal is better off as an underground genre.

Well, laugh all you wish, but I think it's a valid point. Personally, I'd prefer better music to better videos. And if you think the two aren't mutually exclusive, than you have a completely different perspective on what took place in the 80s than I do.

As I see it, big budget videos come by way of huge record sales... huge record sales come by way of the artist trying to appease the masses... and appeasing the masses equals crap music. Metal, much of it anyway, is based on anger and aggression. How angry do you think millionaires who are banging supermodels are? If you don't think that success effects the quality of a band's music, look no further than Metallica and Queensryche. These were the two best, most original bands of the early 80s. Both bands were talented, doing their own thing, and speaking their minds through their lyrics. Both bands achieved some level of success without selling out; Queensryche with "Eyes of a Stranger" and "I Don't Believe in Love" and Metallica with "One". After tasting the fruits of their success, both bands lost sight of their creative vision, grew soft, and their music began descending into a downward spiral. While success is obviously what musicians strive for, once attained it clearly clouds their musical vision.

OK. Instead of focusing on how the commercial success of the genre negatively impacted it's existing acts, let's discuss what sort of bands were spawned by Metal's new found fanbase in the mid to late 80s:

Poison
Warrant
Firehouse
Brittany Fox
Winger
Trixter
Bon Jovi

While granted, some of these bands wrote some fun, catchy songs that defined the 80s, exactly what great Metal bands were born out of Metal's commercial success? Where are the Iron Maidens, Judas Preists, and Dios that preceded Metal's commercial success? Where are the Nevermores, Iced Earths, Symphony Xs and Arks of Metal's "golden age"?

So, you can keep your "Unskinny Bop", and I'll stick with my "Narcosynthesis".

GZ
Desslar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2002 12:25 am    Post subject: If metal was massively popular... Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by General Zod:

Originally posted by Desslar:
I heartily agree. This is one of the reasons I always have to laugh if someone says metal is better off as an underground genre.
quote:
Well, laugh all you wish, but I think it's a valid point. Personally, I'd prefer better music to better videos. And if you think the two aren't mutually exclusive, than you have a completely different perspective on what took place in the 80s than I do.
As I see it, big budget videos come by way of huge record sales... huge record sales come by way of the artist trying to appease the masses... and appeasing the masses equals crap music. Metal, much of it anyway, is based on anger and aggression. How angry do you think millionaires who are banging supermodels are? If you don't think that success effects the quality of a band's music, look no further than Metallica and Queensryche. These were the two best, most original bands of the early 80s. Both bands were talented, doing their own thing, and speaking their minds through their lyrics. Both bands achieved some level of success without selling out; Queensryche with "Eyes of a Stranger" and "I Don't Believe in Love" and Metallica with "One". After tasting the fruits of their success, both bands lost sight of their creative vision, grew soft, and their music began descending into a downward spiral. While success is obviously what musicians strive for, once attained it clearly clouds their musical vision.

OK. Instead of focusing on how the commercial success of the genre negatively impacted it's existing acts, let's discuss what sort of bands were spawned by Metal's new found fanbase in the mid to late 80s:

Poison
Warrant
Firehouse
Brittany Fox
Winger
Trixter
Bon Jovi

While granted, some of these bands wrote some fun, catchy songs that defined the 80s, exactly what great Metal bands were born out of Metal's commercial success? Where are the Iron Maidens, Judas Preists, and Dios that preceded Metal's commercial success? Where are the Nevermores, Iced Earths, Symphony Xs and Arks of Metal's "golden age"?

So, you can keep your "Unskinny Bop", and I'll stick with my "Narcosynthesis".

GZ[/QB][/QUOTE]Hey, no need to get touchy. I very much think that cool videos and cool music are not mutually exclusive. AC/DC, Aerosmith, Van Halen, Metallica, Guns N Roses, Def Leppard, etc. have all had some great videos for great songs. Anyway, even if metal dominates MTV again there will always be underground bands like Nevermore to churn out the kind of metal you prefer. Even in the 80s, there were plenty of obscure metal bands who just kept on doing their own thing while the big bands were jostling for position on MTV. Bands like Symphony X wouldn't have made it onto TV in 1990 anyway, at least not unless that Romeo guy dropped about 50 pounds.

As for great bands of metal's "golden age", how about:
Guns N Roses
Skid Row
Megadeth
Tesla
Anthrax
Helloween
Running Wild
Annihilator
Metal Church
Fates Warning
etc., etc., etc........
General Zod

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2002 8:25 am    Post subject: If metal was massively popular... Reply with quote

Desslar-

I'm not getting touchy, and I wasn't trying to sound confrontational. If it came accross that way, I apologize. I was only trying to illustrate a point.

I'm not sure what that list of bands you named was suppose to illustrate. Care to ellaborate?

GZ
Desslar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2002 10:16 am    Post subject: If metal was massively popular... Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by General Zod:
Desslar-
I'm not sure what that list of bands you named was suppose to illustrate. Care to ellaborate?
GZ

No problem. You asked me the following:

"While granted, some of these bands wrote some fun, catchy songs that defined the 80s, exactly what great Metal bands were born out of Metal's commercial success? Where are the Iron Maidens, Judas Preists, and Dios that preceded Metal's commercial success? Where are the Nevermores, Iced Earths, Symphony Xs and Arks of Metal's "golden age"?"

That list was a few examples of great bands to come out of metal's "golden age." Unless of course you meant bands that actually sound exactly like Symphony X and Ark. Then I'd have to think a little harder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: