HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ozzy remaster "Explanation"?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Horace

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 6:56 am    Post subject: Ozzy remaster "Explanation"? Reply with quote

So here it is - "It was Ozzy himself that decided to replace original bassist Bob Daisley and drummer Lee Kerslake on these new releases. "Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake have harassed Ozzy and our family for several years," said manager Sharon Osbourne. "Because of their abusive and unjust behavior, Ozzy wanted to remove them from these recordings. We turned a negative into a positive by adding a fresh sound to the original albums. We hope the fans enjoy the new versions as much as we do."

Whoa! Ozzy himself came up with this? When was the last time Ozzy took on management/executive decisions? This is somebody else's idea - take a wild guess...

Harassed? Interesting choice of words, especially regarding Daisley, who wrote many of Ozzy's most famous lyrics, and played on NO MORE TEARS as well. So how come he didn't wipe him off "Tears"?
And did Daisley threaten to beat Ozzy's kids with a Rickenbacker? I love the way "family" gets tossed in there just to make Ozzy look like more of a victim.. Oh and by the way, they don't sound better.. these are "phoned" in performances by a couple of guys who were barely paying attention. And how about a warning sticker on the CDs?

"Digitally Remastered from HALF the original master tapes" or "WARNING - REVISIONIST HISTORY enclosed" or even "Keep thoses '95 versions"

And while we are at it, let's wipe every musician who "harassed" another musician off of every album ever made. There goes most of the Deep Purple catalog, Van Halen, the Who, Metallica, etc...
live4metal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 12:17 pm    Post subject: Ozzy remaster "Explanation"? Reply with quote

Excellent point Horace.Especially with regard 2A warning sticker as these are NOT authentic remasters! I've posted on this matter already but damn it I'll say it again,this is total fraud & bull$hit!!!I've heard the 2 cds in question and they are horrible hack jobs and how Ozzy sat in a studio and listened and then sanctioned these releases is beyond me.The magic and spirit have been sucked right of the tapes and the listener is left with a hollow & lifeless version of these classic albums.All over money,the royalties due these musicians amount 2chicken feed on the grand scale of sir Ozzy.And who has'nt had to strong arm an employer past or present to pony up the doe.Yeh the boss loves to work ya to death and collect on your sweat,but they're hard to find come payday.A few phone calls or letters asking where's my money is NOT harassment Sharon!Again, this is bull$hit and I urge everyone to avoid the newly hacked Blizzard
Icarus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 1:09 pm    Post subject: Ozzy remaster "Explanation"? Reply with quote

Regardless of the shady doings of the [b]Ozzy[/b] camp doesn't the whole thing just sound weird? Correct me if I'm wrong:

[b] The original bass and drum tracks from 20 or so years ago are being replaced using different musicians?

This means the original guitar and vocals remain but the bass and drum tracks are redone? Who are they replacing the original musicians with? I missed that somewhere.[/b]

Just the ethics alone is creepy to me. Even if Randy Rhodes was alive and Ozzy (eh hem Sharon) had issues with Zakk, I wouldn't want to have Zakk's tracks on [i]No Rest For The Wicked[/i] replaced by Randy's tracks 14 years later. It just seems so false. Almost as false as members of [b]Kiss[/b] not recording tracks on some of their original releases in the 70's.

I guess unless you're a true fan of the original works it won't make a difference in 10 years if all you ever hear is the remasters, but the whole concept just stinks. I'm still trying to get used to Natalie Cole singing with her dead father.
Coda

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 1:44 pm    Post subject: Ozzy remaster "Explanation"? Reply with quote

There's a statement I heard once that's appropriate...

"Kill your idols before they embarass themselves."

And to think Ozzy used to be cool.

That wasn't Ozzy who decided that it was Sharon cause everyone knows Ozzy isn't capable of maming his own business decisions anymore. Just pay them their damn money Sharon. What does this do to the status of the lawsuit against the Osbournes?
Motorola

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 3:41 pm    Post subject: Ozzy remaster "Explanation"? Reply with quote

Both Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake made major contributions to those classic albums. They wouldn't have been the same without theses legendary players. Moreover, Daisley contributed on later offerings as well, both musically and lyrically.
Ozzy is a multi-millionaire, neither Daisley nor Kerslake are millionaires, but they sure as h*** deserve $credit$ for the work they did on those albums.

Just cough up the **** money, Sharon and Ozzy, you shameless whores!!! Why don't you replace Randy Rhoads with some session player? After all, he isn't around to get any royalties anymore!'

I am totally disgusted with these re-recordings. My main concern, however, is for the new fans who expect to buy the original recordings but get some crap recorded by people who were still in their diapers when the album was recorded.
Mijarra

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 9:00 pm    Post subject: Ozzy remaster "Explanation"? Reply with quote

Come on, you guys are being a little too hard on Ozzy. I distinctly heard him say on the latest episode of the "The Osbournes" that he absolutely did not want the bubbles in the stage show, as Sharon had requested. So what do you mean he doesn't make executive decisions anymore? [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

"I'm Ozzy Osbourne, the f***ing Prince of Darkness, and she's got f***ing bubbles on the stage...." ROFLMAO!!

I don't know what to say about this. Nothing surprises me anymore. Maybe we are naive to think that the musicians we hold so highly have the same appreciation for their work that we do. I guess money changes everything.

Nobody is saying much about Tribute though, which I heard was pretty well done. Any opinions on that?
Horace

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 7:10 am    Post subject: Ozzy remaster "Explanation"? Reply with quote

TRIBUTE is fine - since it's Aldridge on drums and Sarzo on bass it's been left alone.. Guess those guys haven't "harassed" Ozzy's family....

The remaster sounds good and the packaging is good - too bad DIARY and BLIZZARD didn't get this level of respect.
Nightofthecrime

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 6:34 am    Post subject: Ozzy remaster "Explanation"? Reply with quote

This is horrifying! I agre with the warning sticker & I also think that if there isn't, there should be a law protecting works of art!
I don't mind remakes of anything, hell Ozzy could go in and re-record his vocals as well and they could market it as "Blizzard of Ozz 2002" but calling it a re-master when it is a re-recording is horrifying.

Motör-Ola, I think both Daisley and Kerslake are doing pretty well. Kerslake has been touring the world and releasing albums with Uriah Heep forever, and Daisley plays on so many albums it's scary- Yngwie's Odyssey, Rainbow's Long Live Rock and Roll, Gary Moore's 80s stuff, Black Sabbath Eternal Idol, not to mention a whole bunch of Ozzy albums. I'm sure they both enjoy the money they get from their writing credits on Diary and Blizzard when the so-called Remasters start selling.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: