HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interesting trip to the used CD store...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 9:23 pm    Post subject: Interesting trip to the used CD store... Reply with quote

Here's what I learned:

-some damned fool actually traded in his copy of _La Masquerade Infernale_
-some other damned fool traded in his copy of _Burn The Sun_
-some other damned fool traded in something which just about made me cry...but I forget what it was
-used CD stores are [i]choked[/i] with copies of Slipknot's _Iowa_
THRASHCRAZED

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 9:31 pm    Post subject: Interesting trip to the used CD store... Reply with quote

You would be surprised what some bone-heads trade in. I think that if a lot of people knew the value of ebay, they wouldn't! [img]images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img]
General Zod

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 8:49 am    Post subject: Interesting trip to the used CD store... Reply with quote

I'm always fascinated by what CDs people sell back to CD stores. The one that always makes me shake my head in disbelief is Steve Vai's "Passion and Warfare". To me, this CD is as brilliant as music gets. For my money, the greatest instrumental CD ever recorded.

GZ
GuitarMusicLover

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 10:18 am    Post subject: Interesting trip to the used CD store... Reply with quote

I bought all of Amorphis' cd's used on the same day in the same store...7 bucks a piece
I wont mention getting a promo copy of Iced Earths Horror Show 2 weeks before it was released...or the new Sinergy for 3 bucks

oops I did mention it...oh well [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 6:47 pm    Post subject: Interesting trip to the used CD store... Reply with quote

To be fair, P&W was hyped to the moon and back when it came out, far more than any guitar instrumental album before or since that I know of, and even guitarists weren't exactly unanimous on it at the time (though of course it won all the polls in the guitar magazines that year. It probably sold really well at the time, considering what it is.

The thing that blows me away about this trip though, wasn't just that these discs are good - I mean, obviously, they're good, but any used CD store will have its share of classics.

Thing is, these are CD's which you don't just go down to the HMV and pick up on a whim. I had to order these CD's and wait two (Ulver's _Kveldsjangger_, that's what it was), four (Ark) or six (Arcturus) weeks to get these CD's.

The only CD's I take in to a used CD store are the ones I can't get rid of on the 'net...since the 'net is just about necessary to even hear about (let alone get a hold of) this kind of thing, one wonders why whoever turned this stuff in didn't try his hand at that...ah, well...
THE MIGHTY THOR INTREPID

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 7:22 pm    Post subject: Interesting trip to the used CD store... Reply with quote

I picked up the first Down for $5.00.
Desslar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 9:36 pm    Post subject: Interesting trip to the used CD store... Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrannorabbit:
The only CD's I take in to a used CD store are the ones I can't get rid of on the 'net...since the 'net is just about necessary to even hear about (let alone get a hold of) this kind of thing, one wonders why whoever turned this stuff in didn't try his hand at that...ah, well...

Never sold anything on the net, but it seems like a pain in the tail. Of course, the only albums I would consider parting with are those that I picked up out of used bargain bins for a couple bucks without knowing anything about them. If I'm going to pay full price for something I'll make sure that's it's something I'll want to hold on to.
Paul G

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 10:02 pm    Post subject: Interesting trip to the used CD store... Reply with quote

I never understood that either especially when Japanese imports show in used stores here, one man's garbage is anothers treasure yet I have to wonder why copies of Animal Magnetism, Heaven * Hell, MAster of Puppets, Back in Black etc... continue to show up.

As for IOWA - Sam the Record Man is trying to dump TONS of them here at $3.99 a piece, I'm starting to wonder if payola is still alive and well (of course it is).
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 1:58 am    Post subject: Interesting trip to the used CD store... Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul G:
I never understood that either especially when Japanese imports show in used stores here, one man's garbage is anothers treasure yet I have to wonder why copies of Animal Magnetism, Heaven * Hell, MAster of Puppets, Back in Black etc... continue to show up.

As for IOWA - Sam the Record Man is trying to dump TONS of them here at $3.99 a piece, I'm starting to wonder if payola is still alive and well (of course it is).

Sam The Record Man is no more, isn't it? They all closed up shop here. Good riddance to 'em - they once took eighteen months to order a DOMESTICALLY AVAILABLE CD for me. (yep - I hold grudges)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: