HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do I do when Ozzy dies?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iwarrior

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 10:00 pm    Post subject: What do I do when Ozzy dies? Reply with quote

Ok,I guess you have a point. Sorry if I sounded like a jerk on my last post.I didn't mean to sound combative. I should have given your remarks more thought before I responded.Maybe there aren't any new bands making hooky metal just like Ozzy did in the 80's right now. But hey,don't give up hope!Look at the resurgence of power and prog metal.There are more of those guys than you can keep track of now!No one knows what the future will hold and what genres will take off, be revived or be created. Just keep looking.
Mijarra

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 7:54 pm    Post subject: What do I do when Ozzy dies? Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by iwarrior:
Ok,I guess you have a point. Sorry if I sounded like a jerk on my last post.I didn't mean to sound combative. I should have given your remarks more thought before I responded.Maybe there aren't any new bands making hooky metal just like Ozzy did in the 80's right now. But hey,don't give up hope!Look at the resurgence of power and prog metal.There are more of those guys than you can keep track of now!No one knows what the future will hold and what genres will take off, be revived or be created. Just keep looking.

Don't sweat it, you didn't sound like a jerk. I apologize for my over-reaction. I do keep looking, and every now and then I find a jem out there, but it seems like I have to wade through dozens of bands I don't like to find them. Very frustrating.
Jake

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 8:10 pm    Post subject: What do I do when Ozzy dies? Reply with quote

Interesting point you have there Mijarra. I've thought about what will happen to the lesser known bands when cds go out of style and will possible classics like Angel Witch and Grim Reaper be lost(let alone bands even lesser known), but I haven't thought about whole styles going out of circulation.

It is true that for the most part metal bands seem to fit themselves into these genres of powermetal, glam metal, progressive or death metal now. I haven't heard a band that has the steady heavy metal sound of Accept or Diamond Head, though power and thrash metal bands have been influenced by both.

You can't really say you are a fan of heavy metal anymore almost. You can say "I like metal." But metal isn't just Judas Priest/Iron Maiden/Accept anymore. It's speed metal or thrash, or death, or prog. That is kindof odd. But maybe it's just one of those distinctions that is confined to terms. Perhaps there will be other bands like Ozzy in the future, but they won't be called heavy metal, they'll be called Ozzymetal or batmetal and they will be associated with a different movement, even if the sound is that of the 80s bands like Dokken, Ozzy and early Crue.

By the way, what new melodic, classic, heavy metal bands have you found that are any good?
Mijarra

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 9:19 pm    Post subject: What do I do when Ozzy dies? Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jake:
By the way, what new melodic, classic, heavy metal bands have you found that are any good?

Weeell...as I say, they are hard to come by. New American Shame is ok, Sentenced I like a lot and have kinda a milder Megadeth vibe, there is a band called Teer, I think from Florida that seems decent but maybe a little lighter than I like, Evergrey is cool but not quite fitting in that genre. Most bands I have come across are alright but not quite "there", ya know. Creed...not really there. Course of Nature...not really there. Godsmack...nope, not quite. Staind...ugh!

Actually some of these nu-rock bands might be ok, but there is just something missing. I find myself always wishing they would A) stop whining so much, B) play something interesting besides heavy riffs (maybe a solo??) and C) Not rap at all or do /say /dress / act in any way relating to rap...EVER!
iwarrior

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 11:15 pm    Post subject: What do I do when Ozzy dies? Reply with quote

I have couple of recommendations. Jorn's "Worldchanger" and Silent Force's "Infatutator" are both on heavy rotation at my place. "Worldchanger" sounds to me like a heavier,more modern Whitesnake,while "Infatuator" reminds me of Priest's "Painkiller". If you haven't heard them already, go get them,'cause they might cheer ya up.
LEV1ATHAN

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 4:19 am    Post subject: What do I do when Ozzy dies? Reply with quote

I agree with GZ's take on this. While there are some decent albums being produced by "a few" (still going) 80's bands, it's nothing like it was in the 80's. Prime example: Dokken; these guys are not loved by the masses here, but fit very well in this topic because they are surely an "80's band". I have liked pretty much everything produced by Dokken. There were low moments of course, as with MANY bands of yesterday AND today. "Shadow Life" was the major "low point" for Dokken. It wasn't "Tooth And Nail" (a very kick ass album IMO). In fact, "Shadow Life" was a compete turn-around. But then Dokken turned back around and put out "Erase The Slate" with Reb Beach on guitar. This is thier best album "since" [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] "Tooth And Nail". Actually, I will go so far as to say that "Erase The Slate" is BETTER than "Tooth And Nail".... it's heavier, more creative, and has something for everyone.

Mijarra - I can relate to your dilemma... It is pretty hard to find "that sound" these days. It sounds like we share pretty much the same tastes where music is concerned. Like someone posted earlier... check out Jorn Lande's "Worldchanger". I just got this disc in the other day and it's in full rotation here in my lair. Also, you simply MUST get Pink Cream 69's "Endangered", a very solid album... in fact, I haven't heard any bad songs from these guys. I discovered them a few years ago, and now have every album. Pink Cream 69, also known as "PC69", have it all... melody, speed, rythm, along with strong emotion (as in 80's music).

Another album to watch for is a project with George Lynch and Jeff Pilson (former Dokken guitarist and bassist). This will be a solid release and will likely have "something for everyone". There are some good sound clips here: [url=http://www.mp3.com/lynch_pilson]http://www.mp3.com/lynch_pilson[/ url]
Check out [url=http://www.jeffpilson.com]http://www.jeffpilson.com[/url] and [url=http://www.georgelynch.com]http://www.georgelynch.com[/url] for information about the album. There is no name for the band yet, in fact, there is a contest at Jeff's site to name the band.

As I said before, I can relate... it can be frustrating. I couldn't tell you how many times I read a great review on some band, then heard the material and it was Creed or Staind, etc... Just keep looking, they're out there.

By the way Mijarra - if you use WinMX, Morpheus, or AudioGalaxy to search for music, you can find a lot of Pink Cream 69 songs. Good luck in your searches... [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Mijarra

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 7:36 pm    Post subject: What do I do when Ozzy dies? Reply with quote

Leviathan...I heard some clips of Pink Cream 69 and they sound very good. Where did these guys come from? Have they been around for a while?
Tope

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 12:58 pm    Post subject: What do I do when Ozzy dies? Reply with quote

You also have to look at the point of when you got into these bands you were alot younger than you are today, and def in another mind space as well.

For example. when i first got Motley Crue's Shout at the Devil, i was 12 and got it for Xmas, i was just imersed in the whole image of the whole album, and i put it on the turntable and i was just blown away at how heavy the music was, my god i had heard nothing as bad ass as this album. i cranked thisd album for the longest time just staring at the cover and listening to "the forbidden devil music"

Put that together with the fact that i had to save my alloance up for months just to get one album that just looked so cool that i had to have. or wait until xmas came along just so i could ask for 30 albums i wanted but only got 5 or so of them.

now skip to mondern day. that type of image would bore me to tears... (eg mr marylnn manson).. im alot older now so image means less to me than when i was a kid its not the "forbidden devil music" anymore. growing up music has gotten harder faster and more insane then those days.

when i was a kid all i had was a few albums a year to listen to and i ate them up, because thats all i had, so of course i put the albums on and id just fall deeper into the sound. now i have more expandle cash and i can pretty much buy anything i want in a large quantity. my mind set is diferent, im mor mature (well sometimes anyways)

SOOOO...bassically im saying an 80's band cant put out an album that can top what they came out with when i was a kid, you cant expect them to in all honesty, for one times are different. the muscic has changed so radiccly over the years what was one heavy now sounds so lame (as heavyness wise) compared to now music back then has limited distortion to the guitars. the imagery has been done over and over and theres not much that can be "new" as imagery goes.

we all have more expendable cash now, so we dont listen to one CD as much as we did when we were younger, thus we dont get as emmersed into the music as much as we did when we younger just from the fact that we've consumed so much music since then..

what the band is releasing now has years of new inspirations in them so if they wanted to release something that sounds like their classic album, it will never happen b/c life has changed them and the way they play their music..

all just my opinnion, but i hope my view comes out in this never ending ramble ... let me know if you agree at all?

Tope
Mijarra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 5:27 pm    Post subject: What do I do when Ozzy dies? Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tope:

all just my opinnion, but i hope my view comes out in this never ending ramble ... let me know if you agree at all?

Tope

I do agree. You made some excellent points. I do sometimes wonder if I am really so critical of the music or if it is just the "feeling" I am looking for. Like yourself, I would get maybe one or two new albums every few months when I was a kid. This was b/c I was a kid and had no money and no way to drive myself to the record store. If I took a chance on a new band I pretty much listened to the tape up and down for weeks and digested everything I heard. Now, especially with samples on the the internet, I can audition 50 new bands a night if I really want to. I seldom spend much more time on a band than it takes to decide "Yup" or "Nope" after listening to them for 5 minutes.

I also agree with what you said about the image. It would pain me greatly to spend money on a CD by Mudvayne or another of those clown bands. Would I have felt the same way about Motley Crue or all of those "glam" bands had I been this age when they broke? Hard to say. Certainly I am less accepting in my older age. (Gonna be 30 at the end of the month... [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img] )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: