HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lyrics that make your hair stand up along your spine
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 1:59 pm    Post subject: Lyrics that make your hair stand up along your spine Reply with quote

Nevermore, definitely. Hell, they're the best at everything these days. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 2:01 pm    Post subject: Lyrics that make your hair stand up along your spine Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by iwarrior:

Warrior Soul-Good lyrics and singer,but that backing band shoulda been canned!

Saw these guys open for Queensryche in 1992 - not bad. The whole singer-wearing-a-suit-and stripping-down-to-rock-n-roll-gear thing was pretty cheesy though. Wasn't their guitarist hailed as a big up n' coming guitar hero at the time? Maybe I'm thinking of Shotgun Messiah - I always got these two bands confused, just like I used to always get Metal Church and Armored Saint confused...
iwarrior

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 2:11 pm    Post subject: Lyrics that make your hair stand up along your spine Reply with quote

I don't remember their guitarist being a "god" or anything. I do remember their musicianship being sloppy and "grungey". Their riffs were totally boring also. They kind of had a nice punk feel on some of their tunes,but as a whole, they were a frustrating listen. I remember Ricky Rachtman talking about them on Headbangers Ball,and making a big deal about 'em. Then I bought their debut on cassette and was disappointed.
Tope

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 10:07 pm    Post subject: Lyrics that make your hair stand up along your spine Reply with quote

i thought the debut albums was steller, but as soon as they released the second and so on they were all stinkers....but i remember they were hyped to be the next big thing....fun y how that goes...but they also came out close to the grunge era
JGunnz1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 11:03 pm    Post subject: Lyrics that make your hair stand up along your spine Reply with quote

Angel Dust- Of human bondage. I'm telling you, this is the best damn album on 2002 so far hands down. I finally got the actual album the other day (before I only had the MP3's) and I just can't get over how brilliant the whole album is. I am not a huge powermetal guy, my tastes tend to run to the heavier end of the spectrum, but AD has got to be one of my top 3 bands right now.

Anyway, to get to my point. I was reading through the lyrics and I am very surprised by how powerful they are. They are simple, but very eloquent. That impresses me considering that these guys are German and I am sure that English is not their first language.
What are some other bands that have some excellent lyric writing skills.

Beyond Angel Dust, I would have to say:
Iron Maiden
Slayer (for the sheer eeriness factor)
iwarrior

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 11:31 pm    Post subject: Lyrics that make your hair stand up along your spine Reply with quote

I think Iron Maiden are excellent lyricists(for the most part).Other bands from past and present that are cool lyricists:

Thin Lizzy-Phil Lynott was a great story teller.
Blue Oyster Cult
Max Webster
In Flames
Emperor(not crazy about their music though)
Nevermore
Rush
Metal Church-I love the lyric from "In Due Time" that says "too many potions in my cabinet"
Warrior Soul-Good lyrics and singer,but that backing band shoulda been canned!
Stuck Mojo and Hades-these guys are so politically incorrect!
Fates Warning
Dream Theater
King's X
Skyclad
Sepultura
JesseR72

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 11:48 pm    Post subject: Lyrics that make your hair stand up along your spine Reply with quote

I'm surprised Savatage/Trans Siberian orchestra hasn't been mentioned yet! Paul O'Neil writes some great lyrics! TSO's "Ornament" and "This Christmas Day" are the best example of his work IMO, but Savatage's "Not What you See", "Tonight He Grins Again", Wake Of Magellan", "The Hourglass", and "When The Crowds Are Gone" are very close behind.

Can't think of any others that haven't already been mentioned right now, I'll think about it and post 'em later.
Lionheart

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 12:21 am    Post subject: Lyrics that make your hair stand up along your spine Reply with quote

Of Human Bondage has some very good lyrics, but they really outdid themselves on Enlighten The Darkness. The whole concept of a soldier and his trials and tribulations in WWII is very touching. Some of the best I've heard from a power metal band.

J.
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 1:18 am    Post subject: Lyrics that make your hair stand up along your spine Reply with quote

Actually, Bal-Sagoth has a number of lyrics that do that for me - I know, it's all fantasy adventure stuff, but I can't think of anybody who does it even remotely as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: