HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who is the best or worst producer ever?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iwarrior

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 12:31 pm    Post subject: Who is the best or worst producer ever? Reply with quote

Does anyone out there have a favorite producer in the metal genre? I think I have two: Martin Birch and Roy Z. Anyone else have a favorite knob-twister? How about worst producer? Is there a producer out there who you feel ruined a band's sound? I'd give the Golden Turkey to Bob Rock for his work with Metallica.
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 1:20 pm    Post subject: Who is the best or worst producer ever? Reply with quote

Bob Rock could never compare in suckitude to Ross Robinson, the true king of crapitude.

As for best...hell, I don't know. Too many to choose from. But Neal Kernon did produce two of my all time top 5.
Tope

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 1:54 pm    Post subject: Who is the best or worst producer ever? Reply with quote

some of the best

bill ham (zz top)
bob ezrin (alice cooper)
dave edmunds (fab t birds)
phil spector (all the amazing r&b)
todd rundgren (meatloaf)

Worst

bob rock (metallica as we all know)
agave brothers (for killing the sammy hagar sound on 10/13)
Tope

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 4:38 pm    Post subject: Who is the best or worst producer ever? Reply with quote

opps..i missed the "metal producer" there !
so my above list is bogus lol
Horace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 5:11 pm    Post subject: Who is the best or worst producer ever? Reply with quote

Best: Martin Birch, Roy Z, Rodger Bain

Worst: Mutt Lange (all electro-crap, no soul, the living definition of overproduced on Hysteria and Pyromania), Ross Robinson, Tom Allom (wrecked a few Priest records)
Paul G

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 6:47 pm    Post subject: Who is the best or worst producer ever? Reply with quote

I'd toss in Rick Rubin in the best category, Tom Allom of Priest fame should have been ditched, Mutt Lange did some amazing stuff early on Highway To Hell, Back In Black, High'n'Dry, Pyromania. Dieter Dierks (Scorpions), MArtin Birch, Ted Templeman, Roy Thomas Baker, Eddie Kramer, Devin Townsend, Peter Tangtren have all produced classics.
Mordax

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 10:37 pm    Post subject: Who is the best or worst producer ever? Reply with quote

Worst: Darryl Johnston... he screwed the sound on Grim Reaper's See You In Hell. If there are any discs in need of a serious Remastering its the first two Grim Reaper discs... the music is awesome but the production leaves A LOT of room for improvement.
Horace

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 10:33 am    Post subject: Who is the best or worst producer ever? Reply with quote

Paul G, you are right about Highway to Hell and some other titles Mutt worked on, and Mordax - I think the Spitfire re-issues of REAPER were remastered, even though my SEE YOU IN HELL has the tracks in the wrong order (last cut on Lp and first track on Lp have been swapped).
rockin500

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 5:14 pm    Post subject: Who is the best or worst producer ever? Reply with quote

Bob Rock definitely. nothing more needs to be said than the word: METALLICA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: