HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Dio really 60 years old?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haywood Jabloemy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 9:44 pm    Post subject: Is Dio really 60 years old? Reply with quote

Most sources say Ronnie James Dio was born in 1949. This website, [url=http://www.dimwhit.com/dio/history.html]"Dio - The Early Years"[/url] says it's 1941, making him either 60 or 61 years old. He started college in 1960. There's a 1958 picture of "Ronnie And The Red Caps".
iwarrior

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 10:13 pm    Post subject: Is Dio really 60 years old? Reply with quote

Martin Strong's book The Great Metal Discography gives his birthdate as 7/10/47.
Jeff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 11:37 pm    Post subject: Is Dio really 60 years old? Reply with quote

He's not 60... he's in his early 50's...
I also heard he started in music at a really young age, being in bands....so maybe that could be throwing people off too...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
B5ERIK

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 12:59 am    Post subject: Is Dio really 60 years old? Reply with quote

I had seen his date of birth listed as 1948 back in the 80's. We may not know his true date of birth until he dies - I'm seeing so many different years listed I have no idea which is correct.

But wouldn't it actually make him more amazing if he really WAS 60? A guy who can sing that powerfully and that aggressively at that age? And able to pull of a great album like Killing The Dragon at that age? That would be unreal.

Which is why I find it hard to believe that he is 60. 54...55 - maybe. Even at that age what he's doing is simply incredible.

Dio is the man!
Haywood Jabloemy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 5:03 am    Post subject: Is Dio really 60 years old? Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by iwarrior:
Martin Strong's book The Great Metal Discography gives his birthdate as 7/10/47.

He was fronting a band in 1958 - not bad for an 11 year old. He graduated from Cortland High and started at U of Buffalo in 1960 - pretty good for a 13 year old kid!

Look through the history from 1957 to 1975, detailed on
[url=http://www.dimwhit.com/dio/history.html]http://www.dimwhit.com/di o/history.html[/url] .
It's well-researched and has so many facts supporting it that it seems very believable.

And who knew that Joey DeMaio of Manowar played bass for Elf in 1975?
nuclear_x

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 6:21 am    Post subject: Is Dio really 60 years old? Reply with quote

I think he was born in 1943,this would make him 59
Icarus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 6:54 am    Post subject: Is Dio really 60 years old? Reply with quote

Regardless of his real age the troll looks like he's about 60.
[img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Nonetheless he's a great vocalist.
Horace

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 7:03 am    Post subject: Is Dio really 60 years old? Reply with quote

According to CLASSIC ROCK magazine, Dio's 63. I got the last issue (Robert Plant on cover) and it has a very positive review of KILLING THE DRAGON where the writer cracks jokes about Dio "enjoying his swinging 60's". I'm guessing that he IS in his 60's.
Instead of trying to cover up his age, DIO should play it up. His voice sounds, today, as good as it did in RAINBOW and SABBATH. He genuinely loves heavy music (this is a guy who thinks his song "mystery" stinks because it has a prominent and commercial sounding keyboard line!). I loved when he was asked about DEHUMANIZER and he said that even if it didn't sell as well as everyone hoped at least it was heavy, and that's all that mattered. Along with Jon Lord, Ronnie's the coolest old guy in metal/hard rock.
Stark

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 7:55 am    Post subject: Is Dio really 60 years old? Reply with quote

Let me clear this one up once and for all!!
As a member of the Sweden Rock festival management I have seen Dio's passport information.
He was born July 17, 1942, which makes him 60 this year. He was born Ronald Padavona. THIS IS THE TRUTH, I'VE SEEN THE PAPERS TO PROOVE IT!

I think it's outstanding to have such a voice at this age!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: