HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chicks at metal gigs
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deamon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 6:07 pm    Post subject: Chicks at metal gigs Reply with quote

I always wondered why there were not more chicks at metal gigs.

But, I am starting to understand why they don't want to come.

Here is a question. Do you bring your girlfriend to metal shows? DO they even belong there?
Rockangel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 6:21 pm    Post subject: Chicks at metal gigs Reply with quote

[img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img] What do you mean by "do they belong?" I go all the time. Me and my friends are all female. And yes we go for the music not to pick up on guys. I think it's funny that some and I say SOME metal guys think if a chic is at a concert they are only there to pick up guys, get in to get at the band, or were drug there by their man. Some of us actually go because we really really like the music. And I love that vibrant alive feeling I only get at metal shows.

I don't think it's so hard to believe. So yes a lot of us DO belong there. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
iwarrior

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 6:31 pm    Post subject: Chicks at metal gigs Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rockangel:
[img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img] What do you mean by "do they belong?" I go all the time. Me and my friends are all female. And yes we go for the music not to pick up on guys. I think it's funny that some and I say SOME metal guys think if a chic is at a concert they are only there to pick up guys, get in to get at the band, or were drug there by their man. Some of us actually go because we really really like the music. And I love that vibrant alive feeling I only get at metal shows.

I don't think it's so hard to believe. So yes a lot of us DO belong there. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Hey,the more estrogen the merrier I say!
Hollywood Gal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 7:02 pm    Post subject: Chicks at metal gigs Reply with quote

I think his statement was made after his earlier post about his friend taking his girlfriend to the Milwaukee Metalfest.

You will not catch me dead anywhere near the mosh pit at some shows. It does not matter how much I like a band---not if the fans are violent. I don't like getting grabbed or having my clothes ripped at shows when I am minding my own business. Everybody can say what you will---a lot of metal fans are not nice to girls at metal shows.
JosephC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 8:16 pm    Post subject: Chicks at metal gigs Reply with quote

Well it depends on if the girl is really into it or not.

For example, I was dating a girl who listened to primarily dance music. Well last Feburary (I think it was then) Dream Theater was playing in Milwaukee (I live in Madison, she was in Milwaukee). Well I made the mistake of saying that I got free tickets and was going to see if she wanted to go. Well of course she's all up for it, etc.

Well, the night comes and I drive all the way to Milwaukeee. I get there and all of a sudden she doesn't want to go. As you would expect, she says, "well it's no big deal because they are free tickets so you aren't out anything, let's just watch a movie." And I being the moron I am decide to listen to her. Then she dumped me two months later, ******* ***** (you figure it out).

So from now on I am just keeping my mouth shut. If she makes the suggestion of "look at this, I wanna see that," then I'm cool with it. But I am not opening my big mouth again. I can find one of my unreliable friends to back out at the last minute, at least that way I CAN STILL GO.

BTW, that guy in the Metalfest thread that had people hitting on his girl.....I have taken girls to concerts in Milwaukee (not Metalfest, but several shows at The Rave/Eagles Ballroom) and I've never had that problem. And yes, the girl's have been good looking (well, good looking enough). And yes, I am not a bodybuilder or anything (I'm 6 foot, 210 pounds and ain't going to intimidate anyone...trust me). I'm surprised he had that problem, usually folks around there are pretty respectful.
General Zod

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 8:28 pm    Post subject: Chicks at metal gigs Reply with quote

I bring my wife to every Metal show I go to. I've dragged her everywhere from Atlanta to go see ProgPower II, to go see Nevermore four times in 2001, and to see Iced Earth/In Flames twice this year. Neither of us have ever been concerned for her safety. How much of that lack of concern is attributable to my size and my study of martial arts, as opposed to the general sense of brotherhood that I generally feel at Metal shows is hard to say. I do feel that most of the problems at today's Metal shows emanate from the 21 and under crowd. But that's where most problems come from at any show, or even any bar, for that matter.

I think it's kind of sad that any woman would feel unsafe at a show she wanted to attend. As chauvinistic as it might sound, if you truly feel unsafe, ask one of your bigger male friends to accompany you.

GZ
Raider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 8:45 pm    Post subject: Chicks at metal gigs Reply with quote

quote:
well it's no big deal because they are free tickets so you aren't out anything, let's just watch a movie
Ah, but there's an obvious defense against that tactic in the future. Just remind the girl that these bands don't come around often, so by missing them you ARE out something even though you didn't pay money because it could be several years before you have a chance to see them again.

Or if you live in Knoxville, you will NEVER get to see ANY metal bands because they don't come around here. Whores.
Mijarra

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 10:14 pm    Post subject: Chicks at metal gigs Reply with quote

My experience with bringing women to shows is as follows:

1) Missed seeing Suicidal Tendencies after getting to show late because of waiting for girl to get ready.

2) Brought girlfriend and sister to Queensryche show...they got bored and sat down for most of show.

3) Brought some girl my friend knew to Ozzy show. She got loaded and acted like an idiot (not in a good way) and we had to baby sit her all night.

So, I have not had good luck in this regard so far. That said, I would love to have a girl who really understood and cared about the music like I do. So, yes, I do think they belong...but just like the guys, some of them should stay home. I would try to bring a girl again possibly, but only after rigorous testing and quizzing. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]
MUTANT

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 10:55 pm    Post subject: Chicks at metal gigs Reply with quote

I live in LA and there are shows that I (who works in "Security" at Staples) will not attend! At some of the metal shows, there are skinheads who think it is cool to hurt people. I went to see a friend's band at The Whisky a couple years ago and saw a guy get his nose bashed into his head. I can tell you that about 1/3 to 1/2 of all fights have something to do with a girl. Either sombody was trying to pick-up on somebody's wife or girlfriend, or something similar. There are shows where I would not attend---let alone bring a date.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: