HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In Flames'-Reroute To Remain:My Take
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iwarrior

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 12:25 am    Post subject: In Flames'-Reroute To Remain:My Take Reply with quote

Well,it has finally arrived. Trepidation filled my being as I gave this disc a listen. Despite all of the talk of this being In Flames’ dip into the mainstream,I really wasn’t sure what to expect. Were we going to hear a nu-metal record.? Was I going to hear hip-hop beats and scratches? Was Anders Frieden going to rap over funk samples? Was the record going to be yet another hour-long mallcore rant on how terrible parents are? Were they going to be on TRL? Was Carson Daly down with them? AHHHHHH! The suspense was eating me alive.

That was until the opener and title track blasted my fears away with the kind of deft riffery that you’ll never hear on MTV. Yes,In Flames have edged ever so slightly into a more accessible sound,but they aren’t rockin’ the suburbs yet. The only thing I hear that might turn die-hards off would be the choruses and the clean vocals that often appear out of thin air. Anyone who thinks that this type of exploration would poison In Flames’ music should skip to tracks like “Drifter” and “Trigger” which are propelled into the stratosphere by it. The clean croons come out of nowhere,yet find a way to belong,and the more you spin this disc,the more they grow on you until they usurp your expectations of everything In Flames can and should be.

The thing I love about this record is despite the new manuevers that are displayed here,the exquisite manipulation of the harmonized guitar riff that In Flames is known for remains intact. In fact, aside from the final song,which is bit of a dumbed-down “sell-out” of a tune(One suspects that it was tacked on at the end as an afterthought),the songs(Even the quieter ones) all groove with an immense,frost-bitten majesty. As I listened to Reroute To Remain,I found myself getting lost in the band’s dreamworld time and time again,only to be awakened by the alarm clock that is the last track. Just as they did with their four previous studio monoliths,In Flames keep finding ways to make their unique alloy work. Theirs is an elastic,malleable metal that always seems to weave its way into every type of composition without being cumbersome. I could go on and on about the bravery that is to be found here, but yet,like a good mystery, I don’t want to give anything away. All I can say is that we haven’t lost In Flames,at least not right now. They may have changed somewhat, and arguably even matured,but they haven’t forgotten or disowned their roots. In Flames have shown me that they are still innovators,and if they become “the next big thing” at this point,I think the entire music scene at large would benefit from it.
SGR_32

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 12:36 am    Post subject: In Flames'-Reroute To Remain:My Take Reply with quote

I must agree, im getting more and more into this new cd everytime i hear it. ReRoute to Remain
is very worthy of being a In Flames cd.
woosta

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 4:08 am    Post subject: In Flames'-Reroute To Remain:My Take Reply with quote

Agree! Some people are crying "Slipknot" and I'm wondering if they've ever heard any In Flames before and if they've actually LISTENED to the cd. Yes, it would be breakable in the US market, but damn, it's about time a band figured out how to do that with proper metal and great songs!

Personally, my favorite tracks are 1, 5, 8, and the AWESOME track 13 "Metaphor"! Killer!
Mijarra

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 2:42 pm    Post subject: In Flames'-Reroute To Remain:My Take Reply with quote

Good review, and I totally agree. I got this disk the day after it came out and I bet I've listened to it a dozen times straight through, between sitting here on the PC and the dubbed version I made for my car. I find myself now and then noticing some guitar harmony or layered vocal part and I just shake my head and think "These guys are f**king geniuses." Some songs, or pieces of songs, are definately far removed from anything you might consider death metal, but can it be that In Flames has transcended the bounds of their genre and are now in uncharted territory? I know I like what I hear. I especially like your last statement: [i]if they become “the next big thing” at this point,I think the entire music scene at large would benefit from it. [/i]

One note: When I bought this CD, it was on a display area in the music store where they usually have "hot new releases" or something like that. I don't think I've bought anything from this rack in years. I usually have to dig past all kinds of crap to find what I want, if they even have it. What do you think this means, as far as the popularity of In Flames and metal in general goes?
Lars37

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 4:47 pm    Post subject: In Flames'-Reroute To Remain:My Take Reply with quote

I would HOPE that it means people are getting into REAL metal, and not that "nu-metal" crap ( which is neither new nor metal, talk amongst yourselves! ), but unfortunately, it probably means that it's a slow time for new releases. It'll probably be replaced by the new CD from Static PapaKnot 41 before too long.
iwarrior

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 9:33 pm    Post subject: In Flames'-Reroute To Remain:My Take Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mijarra:
Good review, and I totally agree. I got this disk the day after it came out and I bet I've listened to it a dozen times straight through, between sitting here on the PC and the dubbed version I made for my car. I find myself now and then noticing some guitar harmony or layered vocal part and I just shake my head and think "These guys are f**king geniuses." Some songs, or pieces of songs, are definately far removed from anything you might consider death metal, but can it be that In Flames has transcended the bounds of their genre and are now in uncharted territory? I know I like what I hear. I especially like your last statement: [i]if they become “the next big thing” at this point,I think the entire music scene at large would benefit from it. [/i]

One note: When I bought this CD, it was on a display area in the music store where they usually have "hot new releases" or something like that. I don't think I've bought anything from this rack in years. I usually have to dig past all kinds of crap to find what I want, if they even have it. What do you think this means, as far as the popularity of In Flames and metal in general goes?

Thanks! I think it bodes well for the future of metal. It shows that someone is looking out for the scene and is doing their best to promote it.
General Zod

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 9:36 am    Post subject: In Flames'-Reroute To Remain:My Take Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Lars37:
I would HOPE that it means people are getting into REAL metal, and not that "nu-metal" crap

Ironically, if you let your web browser wander over to the In Flames forum, a large percentage of them are calling the new In Flames CD NuMetal.

quote:
Originally posted by Lars37:
(which is neither new nor metal, talk amongst yourselves! )

ROTFLMAO.

GZ
Lars37

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 10:13 am    Post subject: In Flames'-Reroute To Remain:My Take Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by General Zod:
Ironically, if you let your web browser wander over to the In Flames forum, a large percentage of them are calling the new In Flames CD NuMetal.

I think these folks are just against IF changing their sound to any degree. I'll bet they hated Clayman at first, but now are angry that RTR doesn't sound more like Clayman.
live4metal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 6:31 pm    Post subject: In Flames'-Reroute To Remain:My Take Reply with quote

I've been holding my tongue on commenting on Reroute until I could let it properly seep into my skull.I have to say at 1st listen of the record I felt it did'nt hold up to Clayman.But once I let go of my preconception of what the follow up to Clayman should sound like ,I realized this is a strong record itself. As with alot of intricate music it takes a few listens to fully appreciate the songs.The title track along with Cloud Connected & Trigger are the acceptions though,fully grabbing U the 1st time you hear them and sticking in your brain.This album does'nt flow as well a Clayman though and there are some chances taken,for better or worse.Metaphor comes to mind,a country twang to In Flames?,I don't like it and think it's the worst In Flames track ever!Dawn of a New Day and Freefall are classic In Flames that sticks to the sound most of us dig this band for,melodic & bone crushing at the same time.With every listen I like it more and feel it is a worthy follow up to Clayman...In Flames Nu-Metal!? No fukking way! Far to intricate and firmly rooted in tradional metal to be classified nu-metal.Whens the last time U heard a killer harmony or dual axe attack like these dudes dish out from Slipnot or any other nu-metal band?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: