HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In Flames'-Reroute To Remain:My Take
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JosephC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 6:45 pm    Post subject: In Flames'-Reroute To Remain:My Take Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm sure that those folks in the In Flames forum are all experts on nu-metal. I can just hear it now "I frickin hate nu-metal, I never listen to that junk, this In Flames sucks because it is nu-metal." My only question is that if the true metal diehards don't listen to nu-metal, then how can they say that the new In Flames is nu-metal? I mean you have to have some background in listening to that music if you are going to make the comparison....right?

I'll be the first to say that I listen to nu-metal. As with every other type of metal, there are nu-metal artists that I like and dislike. But I listen to all of it and give all of those artists a chance. So yeah, I do have a background listening to the stuff.

That being said, System (after the first 40 seconds) and Transparent, those two songs I would consider nu-metal based on the guitar parts and song structures. But that is it. And those are only 2 of 14 tracks. In the other 12 songs, where are the nu-metal influences? I cannot find them! How about Reroute To Remain and Cloud Connected? Those keyboard parts are new, but they are not nu-metal. Give me a name of a nu-metal band they stole those from! And how about Dawn of a New Day and Metaphor, exactly which nu-metal bands use acoustics and violins like that? Or how about the dynamic swings in songs like Minus, I don't hear many nu-metal bands doing stuff like that!

It's a frickin joke, people call them nu-metal and the people that are saying that don't listen to nu-metal and have no idea what most nu-metal sounds like. This is not a nu-metal CD. What I really find amusing are the people ripping on Metaphor because it is all acoustic, has a violin and is all folk/country. What I really find amusing is people saying they sold out with Metaphor. Apparently those people haven't heard any In Flames prior to Colony. They certainly haven't heard Lunar Strain which is as much folk as it is death metal!

Personally, I like this CD a lot. To be honest I thought the band did get a little stagnant between Colony and Clayman. I was a little disappointed with Clayman because I thought it was a very conservative re-hash of the style that started on Colony. I like the changes the band made on Reroute. The clean vox, the harmony vox, the keyboards have given them an added dimension that once again has added the experimental edge to their music.

In the end, I think In Flames have once again shown why they are among the absolute best of all the heavy metal bands. Reroute to Remain is an excellent CD that all metal fans should check out ASAP.
rockin500

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 7:52 pm    Post subject: In Flames'-Reroute To Remain:My Take Reply with quote

im not really an in flames fan as I like clean vocals in my music. But I was very impressed with them at the show here in chicago in april. lots of energy and stuff.

I guess if they actually use clean vocals among the other stuff, I could probably very much like this album from what I am hearing. I might have to download a few songs off of it first to see if i want to purchase it.
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 8:51 pm    Post subject: In Flames'-Reroute To Remain:My Take Reply with quote

RTR is a an enjoyable listen. There are many Accept moments on the disc (Black and White). So, I coin their new sound as being NU-ACCEPT, not nu metal.
[img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
General Zod

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 8:52 pm    Post subject: In Flames'-Reroute To Remain:My Take Reply with quote

The problem, as I see it, with "Reroute to Remain", is not whether it is or whether it isn't NuMetal. As far as I'm concerned, that's irrelevant. The only thing that concerns me is, whether it's good music. I think there is a lot of music on this disc I like, and some that I don't. Unfortunately, I find that contrast often exists within the same song. Additionally, In Flames utilizes too much of Anders Fridén's clean vox on this disc. Now, I have no problem with clean vox, after all, most of what I listen to utilizes clean vox. However, simply put, Anders can't sing... not even a little bit. He can do the Death thing just fine, but he can't even carry a tune when he sings clean. Go take a listen to "Bullet Ride" and tell me that there's all that much difference between Anders and Elmer Fudd. There isn't.

So, I'm torn. I like In Flames. I think they've created some great music in the past, and are an absolutely amazing band live. But as of yet, this disc doesn't do it for me. I will continue to spin it, and hopefully I will come to enjoy it.

GZ
JosephC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 9:01 pm    Post subject: In Flames'-Reroute To Remain:My Take Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by General Zod:
Additionally, In Flames utilizes too much of Anders Fridén's clean vox on this disc. Now, I have no problem with clean vox, after all, most of what I listen to utilizes clean vox. However, simply put, Anders can't sing... not even a little bit.

I agree 100% with this. The clean vox on this are still not very clean in my opinion. And when they are clean, they aren't very good. Stanne did a much better job with his clean vox on Dark Tranquillity's Projector than Freiden does on Reroute to Remain.
Mijarra

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 10:10 pm    Post subject: In Flames'-Reroute To Remain:My Take Reply with quote

I don't know that I follow these nu-metal assertions. To me, for In Flames to release a "nu-metal" CD would involved a more drastic change in the band that clearly hasn't happened here, something like Metallica did with "Load". I hear a lot of [i]different[/i] things on this CD, but I fail to see how it translates into nu-metal even for individual songs. [i]Metaphor[/i] is obviously one of those songs, but I wouldn't call it a sell out or a change of genre, it's just something different. You know, we have often debated the difference between selling out and experimenting with different sounds on this board. Usually, we are at least partly referring to what happened with Metallica. Well, I think this In Flames CD is completely the opposite of what Metallica did. I think it's an example of the [i]right[/i] way to experiment with different ideas in music. I have always said I have nothing against metal bands going off in different directions with their music, as long as it doesn't comprimise the integrity of the band and it's past. I really think that In Flames have gone forward with these changes, or experiments, unlike Metallica who went backwards. Anyways, wouldn't it be boring if every new release was exactly what we expected? I really appreciate a band that is obvisouly growing musically and presents new and interesting ideas in their music while maintaining the soul that they created with their earlier work.
Very'eavy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 5:51 am    Post subject: In Flames'-Reroute To Remain:My Take Reply with quote

In Flames entered the best selling album list, Topplistan, on 5th place for W37. A very good result for a HM record in Sweden.

BTW, it was Bruce that took over the No1 spot, with Sven Ingvars on No2. Sven Ingvars are the big brothers to Black Ingvars, the world famous (at least in Sweden) black metal band. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Jake

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 11:55 pm    Post subject: In Flames'-Reroute To Remain:My Take Reply with quote

One track hardly ever makes an album. Therefor I don't see how one track can make an album a sellout or a masterpiece.

I'm still waiting for this album to come in the mail so I can critique it with the rest of you guys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: