HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In Flames and Dark Tranquility 9/16/02!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nitro4040

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 10:33 am    Post subject: In Flames and Dark Tranquility 9/16/02! Reply with quote

Go see this show!

Well, this tour got off with a blast. Dark Tranquility's first performance on US soil was a rounding success. Opened with Wonders at your Feet and played another I can't recall. That's when I realized there was only 1 guitarist playing, I was thinking, don't they have 2? After the 2nd song they reported teh sound trouble on the 2nd guitar. It was soon fixed and they were off and running.
Unfortunately they only had the opening slot, but did get to play about 8 - 9 songs. About 3 - 4 from the new one, 2 from haven, 1 or 2 from Projector, and a couple others I was not familiar with. These guys are great.

Sentenced was next. I only have Crimsom, it is decent, but these guys need some Prozac or something. A bit too doom and gloom for me. I like one of the guitarists and as a band they are good,but I don't want a band to make me feel like killing myself. I get enough of that at work.

Killswitch Engage - a poor man's Shadow's Fall. Actually, that is an injustice. These guys take the chunk chunk chunk rythem and use it in every damn song. They have a few decent parts of a song or two, but for this type of band I'll take Shadow's Fall any day. (In fact, why isn't it them?).

In Flames -
Well, this was the 4th time seeing these guys in the last 2 years. First time they got bumped up in the rotation because locals skinlab was also on the bill and they only got ot play aobut 5 songs. The next time, they headlined with Nevermore, and Shadow's Fall, Anders was sick and they only played 5 songs. Last time with Iced Earth, it looked like Anders was drunk or something, and it was not their best performance.

This time around, they made up for it all! From start to finish they killed. Anders sounders great, and they played a great mix of songs. We may have been cheated out of a song or two due to the all ages show and curfew, but I am not sure...

set list was something like this... not quite the order..

bullet ride
embody the invisible
gyroscope
Clayman
Trigger
System
behind space
episode 666
cloud connected
Ordinary Story
Only for the Weak
Black and White
Pinball Map
Colony

If this show comes anywhere near you go see it! Dark Tranquility is worth the price of admission alone, and if In Flames continues this effort throughout, you will be in for an awesome show.
Jake

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 1:17 pm    Post subject: In Flames and Dark Tranquility 9/16/02! Reply with quote

I've seen In Flames once already this year and they were good. I'm going to see them the second time around as well.

Sentenced's Crimson is the only one from them I've heard as well. I really think they sound like a really really depressed grunge band with maybe some extra metal overtones. But the riffs don't have enough snap in them to be really metal stuff. It's metal, but not the classical stuff for sure. Songs like Bleeding in My Arms are catchy, but also they definitely are overdepressing, without making me co-feel with them(Opeth is better at that).

Thanks for reassuring me to see this show, though I'm sure I'd see it anyway.
nitro4040

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 2:39 pm    Post subject: In Flames and Dark Tranquility 9/16/02! Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jake:
I've seen In Flames once already this year and they were good. I'm going to see them the second time around as well.

Sentenced's Crimson is the only one from them I've heard as well. I really think they sound like a really really depressed grunge band with maybe some extra metal overtones. But the riffs don't have enough snap in them to be really metal stuff. It's metal, but not the classical stuff for sure. Songs like Bleeding in My Arms are catchy, but also they definitely are overdepressing, without making me co-feel with them(Opeth is better at that).

Thanks for reassuring me to see this show, though I'm sure I'd see it anyway.

Be sure not to miss Dark Tranquility.
FALCON

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 4:44 pm    Post subject: In Flames and Dark Tranquility 9/16/02! Reply with quote

I'll be at the show here in Phoenix, tommorrow night (sept 18 @ the BASH on ASH), anyone else going to be there and in the mood to Fly High with the FALCON (ACTUALLY i AM A PRETTY low key daddy-type, but do not blow my personna) shoot me a note or so, I really anticipate a great show, as KIllswitch and DT are two of the stronger discs this year, In Flames has a masterfull catalog (Reroute is fine, yet not fully understood by me yet, maybe the show will broaden that direction? anyhow been listening to Whoracle all day) and Sentenced has always been a lil obsession of mine (their new one being fine at that, but a step back for sure)...
Jake

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 6:54 pm    Post subject: In Flames and Dark Tranquility 9/16/02! Reply with quote

Thanks for reminding me to listen to lots of In Flames. Some of that stuff has been waiting a while but I always forget to listen to it.
General Zod

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 11:21 pm    Post subject: In Flames and Dark Tranquility 9/16/02! Reply with quote

I'm curious, how as DT's energy/stage presence?

GZ
nitro4040

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 11:28 pm    Post subject: In Flames and Dark Tranquility 9/16/02! Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by General Zod:
I'm curious, how as DT's energy/stage presence?

GZ

Their energy was great. Stage presence was there. Six guys on such a small stage so not much moving around or anything. They were very tight. Sound was good. They were very psyched to be playing here. A good portion of the crowd had arrived when they started, which was cool, considering they went on at 7:30. I only have Haven and Projector, but some of the crowd new many of the other songs as well. So that was appreciated.
nitro4040

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 1:23 pm    Post subject: In Flames and Dark Tranquility 9/16/02! Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by FALCON:
I'll be at the show here in Phoenix, tommorrow night (sept 18 @ the BASH on ASH), anyone else going to be there and in the mood to Fly High with the FALCON (ACTUALLY i AM A PRETTY low key daddy-type, but do not blow my personna) shoot me a note or so, I really anticipate a great show, as KIllswitch and DT are two of the stronger discs this year, In Flames has a masterfull catalog (Reroute is fine, yet not fully understood by me yet, maybe the show will broaden that direction? anyhow been listening to Whoracle all day) and Sentenced has always been a lil obsession of mine (their new one being fine at that, but a step back for sure)...

Falcon,
How was the show?

I'll have to keep an eye out for a Phoenix show. I have some family there I could visit and could incorporate a show into the mix.
JosephC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 7:35 pm    Post subject: In Flames and Dark Tranquility 9/16/02! Reply with quote

Hey, anyone going to go see this show in Milwaukee, WI on Sunday night (22nd)? The person that was going to go with me just bailed and now I'm probably going to have to make the drive alone. Just curious if anyone else is going to be there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: