HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bands That Everybody Seemed To Like But You.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lionheart

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 12:26 pm    Post subject: Bands That Everybody Seemed To Like But You. Reply with quote

I have to agree with Motorhead. I never understood the appeal with them. Also with the Blind Guardian. As much as I've tried to like them, I just can't and the main reason is Hansi Kurch. Anyways, here's the list of mine,

Motorhead
Blind Guardian
Running Wild
Megadeth (early)
Dio (after Holy Diver)
Van Halen
Yngwie Malmsteen
Dream Theater (after Awake)
Savatage (pre Edge Of Thorns)
Jake

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 2:29 pm    Post subject: Bands That Everybody Seemed To Like But You. Reply with quote

First band that comes to mind is Dream Theatre, and although I'll sound like some kind of metal bigot, the whole genre of progressive metal(or at least anything that sounds similar to Dream Theatre). It's too jumbled the songs don't take form on their own. It's like I can appreciate the musical ability and I can enjoy riff 1 here and riff 43 there. and I sometimes dig the way La Brie sings, but for the most part it just doesn't pull together. I had the same problem with modern Fates Warning and what I've heard from Shadow Gallery and Stratovarious.

"Not bad, just not energetic enough to listen to when I'm in a mood for metal, and when I'm not in a
mood for metal I wouldn't think to listen to them. As a result, it never gets listened to."

-Raider

Actually what you just said is one of the biggest reasons why I don't dig some cds. It really is all about the mood that the cd sets or the context. If I want to listen to something that rocks then I'll think Priest, Manowar, Megadeth, Accept, Running Wild, Diamond Head, Grim Reaper, Helloween, Maiden, Arch Enemy, In Flames, Testament(not in particular order). If I want something that I'm looking for particular instrumental quality I'll go for Deep Purple, 90s Savatage, Black Sabbath, Rainbow, Uli Jon Roth. And if I just want to listen to music I'll take any of those and more including Scorpions or Satch.

However, some bands don't fit a category strongly enough that I'm bound to listen to them often. For instance, I think Emperor has a really wicked atmosphere surrounding it, but I don't like to listen to it to headbang. Yes it also has great instrumental quality, but that isnt' what I associate it with, therefor Emperor doesn't get the same attention as say Opeth which also has a fair amount of mood, but I attach it to more than just one mood, because it's kindof morose as well, but also very pretty at times.

So some bands can be good as can be, but they don't fit the right mood and since they are in between I don't listen to them as much. wouldn't say most of them are bad though. Motley Crue has both shit and good in their catalog, so I'm not going to bash Shout at the Devil just because I'd decide to listen to Painkiller or Balls to the Wall instead.
rockin500

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 8:35 pm    Post subject: Bands That Everybody Seemed To Like But You. Reply with quote

DAve Rules!! the perfect voice.

But one I could never get into was Zeppelin. They just never did it for me. I never saw the big thing in Sepultura either, and the only Priest song I liked was Breakin the Law.
Hippyblood

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 11:27 pm    Post subject: Bands That Everybody Seemed To Like But You. Reply with quote

Other than the entire 80's mtv metal scene, some others would be:

Led Zeppelin
Van Halen
Eagles
Nirvana
White Zombie
pontiouspirate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 11:32 pm    Post subject: Bands That Everybody Seemed To Like But You. Reply with quote

queenryche to me are not a top level band. there so called vocal god tate in no way measures up to halford, scheepers or urban breed of tad morose. the first song i heard of theres was silent lucidity just a pukish sounding drivel laden syrupy ballad that to this day makes my stomach rumble. but mostly geoff tate's vocals turn me off. special mention to kiss and there tome deaf army---always compared them to other mascara madman alice cooper. i can dig the coop cause his lyrics are excellent and he beat them to the punch. alice cooper please stick simmons and stanley under your guillotine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
EdwardTHead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 9:32 am    Post subject: Bands That Everybody Seemed To Like But You. Reply with quote

I could never get into Metallica, any of it I just don't like it.

I love Motorhead though, for me it's an attitude, that and after awhile you can understand Lemmy pretty easy. I don't go for the death metal growling though.
PaulEMoz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 12:31 pm    Post subject: Bands That Everybody Seemed To Like But You. Reply with quote

Anything featuring Ozzy Osbourne. I just can't stand his voice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MadMetalPoet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 2:43 pm    Post subject: Bands That Everybody Seemed To Like But You. Reply with quote

I'll jam on almost any metal with a good guitar/vocal in it. But Thrash/speed metal and death/black metal I couldn't hang with except for
early Metallica and Megadeth(1st 4 albums).
Bands I think are ruined by lousy vocals but are great musically:
Children of Bodom
In Flames
Dimmu B
Motorhead(love Lemmys attitude, Hate the vocals)
any melodic metal that employs growling, undecipherable vocals(they don't have to be halford but at least enunciate).
Slayer same problem
Ozzy live these days,(voice is gone)
Malmsteen after 90 his vocalists suck!!
should've paid Soto whatever he wanted.
Have hope for new vocalist white, good voice on him. Shame Jorn Lande couldn't hang.
also I F#@%#2King hate Axel Rose!!!!!!
Slash is a good guitarist,GnR sucked Because of
Axel.
Also don't know what is good about Graham Bonnet
he sucks!
KISS has a half dozen good songs the rest is cheese!!
Well nuff ranting, now it's your turn, see ya!!
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 11:16 pm    Post subject: Bands That Everybody Seemed To Like But You. Reply with quote

This is exactly what the thread is about! Most people dislike Motorhead which I love, or dislike Blind Guardian, Dream Theater, Yngwie Malmsteen, Judas Priest or other bands which I like (even recognizing their faults, and/or bad albums, etc).
I wonder how many people I step on their toes with my list (sorry)? [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Will be interesting to find a single band that we all dislike altogther...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: