HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Judas Priest's Painkiller: Rate it!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mijarra

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 9:58 pm    Post subject: Judas Priest's Painkiller: Rate it! Reply with quote

My two biggest metal sins were always being eternally unimpressed with Yngwie Malmsteen and Judas Priest. I'll save Yngwie for another day, but as far as 'Priest goes I could just never get into them, try as I might. Until......Painkiller came out. It just kicked my a$$ and found a permanent place in my car stereo for several months. Am I screwy or is there something "different" about this disc? I mean, I can appreciate, say, Screaming for Vengence in a "this is metal history" kinda of way but not in a "this album is like a kick in the teeth" kind of way.

What do you think? How do you think Painkiller rate in Judas Priest's body of work? Any albums you think have a similar "vibe"? Opinions either way?
Ug

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 10:15 pm    Post subject: Judas Priest's Painkiller: Rate it! Reply with quote

painkiller blew me away when it came out, and until this day its one of my favourit(est) priest album. unfortunately they went downhill from there.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 10:54 pm    Post subject: Judas Priest's Painkiller: Rate it! Reply with quote

I must recognize that "Painkiller" is a stand alone album, nothing that JP made before or after (especially) is similar to "Painkiller". I remember when I bought it in 1990, seated in front of my parents sound system (the only one with CD player at the time in my house, it was my second CD ever, before that were only vinyls, therefore I didn't needed a CD player in my system [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ). I was making a quick search of the songs, and the agressiveness, pace and freshness of the album was driving me into tears of joy, instantly 'Hell Patrol' and 'Nightcrawler' became special songs, deep in my heart (and still they are). A couple of friends couldn't believe that was JP, when I played the CD for them, they thought it was Helloween or likewise [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] .
After a while when I found that Halford was quitting (or kicked) the band, I thought that it was the best farewell album in history (I still do in a certain way).
Even if I consider "Defenders Of The Faith" the best JP album ever, I will never deny the importance and quality of "Painkiller" for the history of Judas Priest and metal in general.
metalblood

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 10:56 pm    Post subject: Judas Priest's Painkiller: Rate it! Reply with quote

Painkiller is one of the greatest, if not the greatest comeback album. It ranks in my top 5 JP and I still listen to that album regularly.
JosephC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 11:54 pm    Post subject: Judas Priest's Painkiller: Rate it! Reply with quote

Jeff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 12:01 am    Post subject: Judas Priest's Painkiller: Rate it! Reply with quote

I bought this album for 8 bucks new at Walmart actually. I got more than my 8 doallars worth on it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 1:41 am    Post subject: Judas Priest's Painkiller: Rate it! Reply with quote

_Painkiller_ is kind of like their 80's albums on adreno-amphetamines. There's an edge of terror (cheesy terror, but terror) to songs like "Painkiller" and "Nightcrawler" that was never there before, and it's certainly the most aggressive album they ever did. It was hard at the time to believe that such an album came from some of the oldest geezers in metal.

It deserves every accolade it gets...though not every imitation it gets. I mean, I think I've heard enough.
iwarrior

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 5:59 am    Post subject: Judas Priest's Painkiller: Rate it! Reply with quote

What an incredibly juiced album! The only thing I didn't like were the goofy lyrics. Other than that,it's a monster work of sonic art! Preferred track:"One Shot At Glory".
Raider

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 7:14 am    Post subject: Judas Priest's Painkiller: Rate it! Reply with quote

Can't give it a numerical rating, but I will say I love it. I usually have to be careful saying this or risk a lynch mob, but I think it might be my favorite JP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: