HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Metal in concert!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
judaspriest

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:56 am    Post subject: Metal in concert! Reply with quote

Which bands get the fans to raise the biggest ****in roar?!! Don't tell me you sit around talking to bigots about how it is ok to listen to metal!!!!!
Jake

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:20 pm    Post subject: Metal in concert! Reply with quote

I might have to say Blind Guardian. Sure the shows here in the US are small, but I was surprised by how into it the audience was. I don't think Hansi needed to sing considering the audience singing along to everything.

Also Iced Earth and Arch Enemy definitely get people going.

As far as big bands like Judas Priest are concerned though, the audiences I've seen only seem to be partway interested. I was at a Deep Purple show and some people were just sitting there. the show was great, but maybe people were too old. My brother kept asking me what the hell people were doing. "It's freakin' Deep Purple! They're rocking like crazy and people are just sitting here?!" At Judas Priest people were more into things, but still not like some of these underground bands.
Daronas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:55 pm    Post subject: Metal in concert! Reply with quote

The absolute most intense shows I have been to were Flotsam and Jetsam in Phoenix. I saw them many times. They opened for Priest in Phoenix on the Jugulator tour. Sweeet!!!
AngelWitch73

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 4:03 am    Post subject: Metal in concert! Reply with quote

OVERKILL are intense live.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 4:50 am    Post subject: Metal in concert! Reply with quote

I strongly suspect the answer is probably Iron Maiden.
Lars37

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 7:52 am    Post subject: Metal in concert! Reply with quote

I was surprised just how fanatical Iced Earth's fans are. When I saw them earlier this year, the crowd was appreciative of In Flames, but they went ape$hit when IE came on stage. Not being a big fan of theirs, I didn't know what to expect, but I certainly wasn't expecting the idol worship thrown towards them!

So my answer is Iced Earth.
Icarus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 9:21 am    Post subject: Metal in concert! Reply with quote

Back in the 80's I would have said [b]Priest[/b] and [b]Maiden[/b], mainly because I was at most of their shows that came within 100 miles of me during the 2nd half of that decade and I don't think people were sitting the entire show. Of course some of the shows had the open floor which meant no seats anyway, but I do remember rocking my ass off for a solid 2 or so hours. I've gone to some of the festival shows like Ozfest over the past years and I just don't feel the power and excitement that was felt in the 80's. Maybe because I'm 32 years old, or the music just sucks.

When I go to an underground show like [b]Nevermore[/b] or [b]Hammerfall[/b], etc. I do feel the intesity see the crowd and for the most part people are into the entire show, banging their heads or whatever.

The only conclusion I can draw is that a [i]true[/i] metal show will kick the ass of the audience no matter how small of large the venue, while a nu-metal show really only carries the fans as far as the last radio hit song can take them.
Jake

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 11:52 am    Post subject: Metal in concert! Reply with quote

Forgot about Overkill. They have a pretty intense show too. I'm talking about the present day here, not the past. I think Savatage is pretty on top of things too and Saxon as well. but it's hard to say Saxon blows people away when only 20 people show up to their shows.
JesseR72

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 8:41 pm    Post subject: Metal in concert! Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jake:

As far as big bands like Judas Priest are concerned though, the audiences I've seen only seem to be partway interested. I was at a Deep Purple show and some people were just sitting there. the show was great, but maybe people were too old. My brother kept asking me what the hell people were doing. "It's freakin' Deep Purple! They're rocking like crazy and people are just sitting here?!" At Judas Priest people were more into things, but still not like some of these underground bands.

I think it has more to do with the venue than anything. You go see all these big name classic rock bands at big venues with reserved seating and people seem content to just sit there and watch as if they were at home watching TV. At a club, if you want to be close to the stage, there is no seating so people get into it a little more, start moving around and have fun. I was actually told to SIT DOWN at an REO Speedwagon show a few years ago! I felt bad, they were actually putting on a great show (I've seen them before when they didn't) and I was getting into it, then security told me to sit down because the people behind me couldn't see. If they would stand up then they COULD see, IT'S A FRIGGIN' CONCERT PEOPLE!!! I mean I was in the 9th row, that's what you do in the 9th row from the stage, you STAND UP and get into it! But nobody was and, as I said, it WAS a good, rocking show. Now on the other hand we have Molly Hatchet, playing in little clubs and EVERYONE'S dancin' and rocking out, because there aren't any seats to begin with. I think this is the best arguement for Metal staying at the club level, I mean even last time I saw Metallica at a reserved seating show most people just sat there (believe it or not it WAS a great show! But it was also years ago).
Sorry, I kinda went on a rant there, but that is a pet peeve of mine, people just sitting at concerts. I've seen it for everyone from Metallica to REO, Heart, Journey, Cheap Trick, Bad Company, Scorpions...all the classic rockers pretty much. The only ones I've seen people get out of their seats and go crazy for were Ted Nugent, 38 Special, Styx (yeah, believe it or not!), Alice Cooper, and to a lesser extent Lynyrd Skynyrd and Foriegner. I guess the fans are just getting old!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: