HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

John West, Symphony X singer?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anamal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 1:14 pm    Post subject: John West, Symphony X singer? Reply with quote

i noticed that also,but figured every one makes mistakes..(even critics..LOL)
Ug

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 2:28 pm    Post subject: John West, Symphony X singer? Reply with quote

I noticed that too! Another thing I realized is that I usually like the albums that Martin Popoff hates. Now that leaves me with one question, which one of us is wrong? [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
General Zod

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 3:55 pm    Post subject: John West, Symphony X singer? Reply with quote

Popoff just may be the worst reviewer I've ever had the displeasure of reading. As with any Popoff review, I'm left with many questions:

What is "science rock"?

What is "calculus-calculated prog"?

SX is "a band with an inconsistent recording history"? How does six brilliant CDs constitute an "inconsistent recording history"? Please, could another band please create a recording history equally as inconsistent?

By the way, I could understand it if Popoff merely got the singer's name wrong, but he claimed he was a visual match for Romeo as well. I've met both Romeo and Allen. Suffice it to say, you won't mistake one for the other.

Lastly, how can anyone review this disc, and fail to mention Allen's, or in this case, West's vocal performance. Allen/West has elevated his game to god-like status with "The Odyssey".

By the way, I have more question of this review; could Popoff be more clueless?

GZ
iwarrior

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 10:30 pm    Post subject: John West, Symphony X singer? Reply with quote

quote:
What is "science rock"?

What is "calculus-calculated prog"?

That's just the way Popoff writes. It just figurative. He's just referring to virtuoso rock in general with those terms.
PaulEMoz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 12:39 am    Post subject: John West, Symphony X singer? Reply with quote

Now I know I'm not as well up on the band as I'd like to be, but isn't Russell Allen their vocalist? I was just reading the review of "The Odyssey" on HardRadio, and here it is:

Symphony X - The Odyssey
(InsideOut America)

The weapons this band has... and it is a band, Michael Romeo nevertheless the star of the show with his tapping technique across six strings in chord form, both diminished and major, the man adding a Pantera-esque rhythmic aggression that will no doubt help draw in the younger set. But as I say, the music explodes band-like, Romeo measuring his attacks, John West the consummate vocalist, a perfect match for Romeo both visually and melodically (the hair! the belly!). And I've not heard better production, better tones on a science rock album (there's another key: this is pure, calculus-calculated prog that headbangs like power metal). Definitely a band with an inconsistent recording history (main slag: derivation of Yngwie), Symphony X have created a triumphant punch-out of songs, shorter anthemic tracks well down that Dime bag, precision, machine-bolted metal beasts that build toward the epic 24 minute title track, the seven parts of The Odyssey moving well, never becoming dull, the orchestration a mind-blower worth the stormy seas alone.
Rating 8.5

Some people should not be let loose to review CDs....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
General Zod

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 11:26 am    Post subject: John West, Symphony X singer? Reply with quote

There's actually a term for that writing style, it's called "illiterate".

GZ
Jake

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 3:19 pm    Post subject: John West, Symphony X singer? Reply with quote

Though I sometimes find that the terms he uses muddle things up, this particular review doesn't seem so bad. Of course, everyone has already pointed out that it does have flaws outside of the writing.

I still have little interest in Symphony X. The praise for this album makes me wish I had checked it out instead of V. But as it stands, I don't like what I've heard of Symphony X, and unless the new album is totally different from V, I don't think I'd like the new one anyway.
Jake

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 3:20 pm    Post subject: John West, Symphony X singer? Reply with quote

Though I sometimes find that the terms he uses muddle things up, this particular review doesn't seem so bad. Of course, everyone has already pointed out that it does have flaws outside of the writing.

I still have little interest in Symphony X. The praise for this album makes me wish I had checked it out instead of V. But as it stands, I don't like what I've heard of Symphony X, and unless the new album is totally different from V, I don't think I'd like the new one anyway.
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 4:43 pm    Post subject: John West, Symphony X singer? Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by General Zod:

SX is "a band with an inconsistent recording history"? How does six brilliant CDs constitute an "inconsistent recording history"? Please, could another band please create a recording history equally as inconsistent?

GZ

To be fair, he did qualify that statement with "(main slag: derivation of Yngwie)", which is totally true and why I never seem to listen to _The Damnation Game_ or _Twilight In Olympus_, or from what I recall, the S/T (which I don't own).

If you're looking for a worse reviewer, I'd say look no further than John Chedsey, but that's just me. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: