HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Individual performances of the year 2002 that you seen live?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGR_32

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 2:14 pm    Post subject: Individual performances of the year 2002 that you seen live? Reply with quote

Well we are almost out of days this year. So i figured id ask this. What are the best performances that you seen live this year?
Drums?
Bass?
guitar?
Vocals?

Band that impressed you so much that your now a fan?

Band that disapointed you the most?

musicians you met in person? (if any)
SGR_32

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 2:30 pm    Post subject: Individual performances of the year 2002 that you seen live? Reply with quote

ill answer my own questions first

Drums: Dont know is name, but the drummer for Today is the day Just blew me away!!
It was on the Motorhead/Morbid Angel/Today is the day tour. He was even better then Mikkey Dee and Nickolas Barker this year.
Bass: Joey DeMaio-Manowar. He's a great bassest, and his poseing is a total riot to actually watch. His speaches were memorable as well.
Guitar: Galder/Sileonz-Dimmu Borgir
a great duo live.
Vocals: Matt Barlow-Iced Earth i had shivers going up and down my spine he was that damn good that night.

Jag Panzer was the band that impressed me the most, i had heard of them, but i wasnt a fan before i seen them on the Iced earth/In Flames tour. Seeing them there and at Metalfest, now im a huge fan.

Hammerfall was the biggest disapointment for me.
Not because they sucked or anything, cause they didnt get to play at the concert i went to.
that sucked big time.

I met quite a few this year, so here it goes
Lemmy and Phil from Motorhead, I actually got to shake Lemmy's hand and buy him a drink.

All the guys from Jag Panzer at milwaukee metalfest, even got to take a pic with them. really cool guys.

Owen Breed lead singer for Tad Morose the guy actually came up to me and thanked me for being a fan and knowing all the words to there songs better then he did, got to take a pic with him as well.

Jack Frost from seven witches, kinda distant and cold (no pun intended) but still cool meeting him.

King Fowley lead singer and drummer for October 31 and Deceased. Super cool dude, King is Metal!!

Jociam and Oscar from Hammerfall, me and my friends had a great time with those two after they were forced to cansell there show here in Seattle. Drank lots of beer (LOTS) they even took my email and claim that they are gonna come back and party with us at wrestlemania this year.
(ill believe that when i see it, but its cool they said it)

Music is the one thing that was really cool about 2002 for me, the rest of the year pretty much sucked, but concerts this year and metal in general saved this year.

Everyone have a merry xmas and happy new year
General Zod

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 4:44 pm    Post subject: Individual performances of the year 2002 that you seen live? Reply with quote

I see a lot of shows in a given year, so this is gonna be tough.

Vocalist - Matthew Barlow. Barlow, to my ears, is by a wide margin the best singer in the genre. Live, he only cemented that opinion for me. 2nd Place would have to go to Erik Torvald of Zero Hour. That guy has got some set of pipes on him.

Guitar - Joe Satriani. Need I say more? 2nd Place would have to go to Johnny A. Saw him at a hole in the wall club in the Village. Amazing show. Jasun Tipton of Zero Hour would come in 3rd... the guy is a machine.

Bass - Troy Tipton of Zero Hour. Similar to his twin brother, he's just ridiculously talented.

Drums - Mike Guy of Zero Hour. Starting to see a trend? Mike is one of the few drummers I would put in the same league as Van Williams of Nevermore.

Best Show - Iced Earth/In Flames at the Trocadero in Philly. Two godly live bands on one ticket. 2nd Place would have to go to Edguy's performance at ProgPower III. I've never seen a frontman with more energy than Tobias.

GZ
PaulEMoz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 5:49 pm    Post subject: Individual performances of the year 2002 that you seen live? Reply with quote

I've only actually seen three shows this year, one was Rush (who I don't like much), and I went because my wife is a fan, one was "an evening with Dream Theater", and the other was Dream Theater/Joe Satriani/Kings X.

So, all the members of Dream Theater would win each category, with Joe Satriani a very close second on guitar, because he still does a great show (if you like his music). Crushing Day was just awesome....

I met Joe at that show, courtesy of winning a backstage pass. Very nice man, as I expected, gave everyone a decent amount of time and was interesting to chat with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
nitro4040

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 7:27 pm    Post subject: Individual performances of the year 2002 that you seen live? Reply with quote

Arch Enemy - Best live show of the year.

Dark Tranquility - Excellent, only too short.

Dimmu Borgir - very impressive.
Ug

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 11:40 am    Post subject: Individual performances of the year 2002 that you seen live? Reply with quote

Best shows....Steve Vai in the beginning of the year. He was INCREDIBLE!! I haven't been this satisfied in a long time because I am a big Vai fan. Most of you might not agree with me but the guy is versatility defined, he can be as heavy as iron one minute and soft as feather the next. Then last month, I went to see Satriani and I was blown away again. Even though I am not very happy with his works after Crystal Planet, but the man was a killer with six strings on stage. What can I say, the year began with a great show and ended with a great show, I'm one happy homo sapien(at least for now). [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I would have added Malmsteen in there too. Unfortunately, he played too many songs from War to End all Wars (an album I can't stand at all).

The only show I did not see was Axl "looney" Rose. I was tempted at first but then I realized it's not worth it. So instead of wasting money on the GNR tribute band, I bought my lady a small gift and got showered with kisses. So I guess I should thank Axl Rose for it. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Oh...and I did meet Malmsteen during an autograph session before the concert. He was hours late and in a bad mood (or maybe it was too much alcohol). So not a very nice experience meeting a guy who was once my hero (yeah I know it's corny but it's true)
Just an average joe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 11:57 am    Post subject: Individual performances of the year 2002 that you seen live? Reply with quote

I dont want to try to figure out which individual person i liked best, so i'll just go come up with a list of the concerts i liked the best.

#1 has got to be Shadows Fall. Unfortuantly they weren't headling, but they put on a great show and completely blew everyone away.

#2 Iced Earth/Megadeth. I was there to see IE as I've seen megadeth a dozen times. IE put on a great show to a crowd that really didnt know their music. Barlow has an amazing voice.

#3 P.O.D. -now i'm not a big fan of POD, but i had to review the show, so i got in free [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
The lead singer for this band has the most charisma of any act i've seen in 20 years. He completely stunned me with his ability to keep the audiance entranced.

Now i'm looking forward to the Nile/DT/SYL/napalm death show in Febuary!!!
Jake

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 5:09 pm    Post subject: Individual performances of the year 2002 that you seen live? Reply with quote

I was thinking about posting a list of the best concerts of the year. Here's my order:

1.Saxon. Considering admission was 10 dollars and there were only 20 people in the bar, this was one killer show. The whole band was into it and there weren't any gimmicks- just great heavy metal played flawlessly yet raw enough to be live. One of the best shows I've ever seen. Rating: 10

2.Arch Enemy(opening for Nile). Played mostly new stuff but the live performance of songs like Savage Messiah unlocked their power for me and since then I've liked Wages of Sin that much more. Great energy. If the set were any longer I'd have been in a lot of pain afterwards. Another killer show. Rating: 9

3.Arch Enemy(headlining). Played more old stuff but still focused on new stuff. Guitar tone was a little more "off" than usual so some riffs weren't audible. Still a great show. Rating: 8.5

4.Deep Purple/Scorpions. Both bands playing mostly old tracks, but doing a good job at it. Deep Purple jammed a little between songs which was cool. Scorpions was more to the note with their songs. Still a real fun show. Rating: 8.

5.Manowar. I expected lots of gimmicks, masochism, and bragging about their quest against false metal. Instead I got a good heavy metal show with the band ably playing their classic tracks. One letdown was they didn't play anything from my favorite album Into Glory Ride, but they were good nevertheless. Rating: 8

6.Judas Priest. They aren't what they once were(though I've never seen what they were before), but they are still good. Played all their classics, but left out Defenders album(what were they thinking?). Ripper sounds great, but he overdoes his high screaming sometimes- holding the note too long. Rating - 8.

7.Blind Guardian. Audience was totally into it. They played Valhalla- awesome. It started out slow, but I liked it by the end. Rating: 8.

8.Soilwork. Didn't like them as much on record as I did like them live. Moved around the stage alot and music was tight. Rating: 8

9.In Flames/Iced Earth. I wasn't in the mood for Iced Earth so I didn't stay for their whole show, but In Flames was entertaining and Ander's stage comments were funny sometimes. Rating: 8.

10.Thin Lizzy. Very disappointing. I know the band shouldn't be called Thin Lizzy without Phil Lynott, but I'd heard John Sykes put on a good show. Maybe I was still tired from the show the night before(second Arch Enemy show), but the guitar wasn't turned up loud enough so you couldn't hear those great Thin Lizzy harmonies. Also I thought the band would show off their talents more outside the songs, but they didn't. Tommy Aldridge's solo was impressive but boring. I doubt I'll try this show again. Better than average but not that good. Rating: 6.5

11.Wrecking Crew. A local show. Ok group. They gave us their whole first album- Hello World. That's cool. Rating: 6.

12.Destruction. Singer pissed me off with some of his comments, but I guess I was in a bad mood. Band also didn't really impress me as it was pretty much thrash with particularly bad vocals. I didn't have a good time so I left before Kreator even hit the stage. Rating: 4.5
PaulEMoz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 12:40 am    Post subject: Individual performances of the year 2002 that you seen live? Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ug'stongeage genius'Ogson:
Oh...and I did meet Malmsteen during an autograph session before the concert. He was hours late and in a bad mood (or maybe it was too much alcohol). So not a very nice experience meeting a guy who was once my hero (yeah I know it's corny but it's true)

That's quite unusual for him, he's normally excellent when it comes to meeting fans. I suppose everyone is entitled to an off day or a bad mood day though. Then again, maybe I was spoiled after my two experiences with him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: