HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blast Beets
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lthunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:35 pm    Post subject: Blast Beets Reply with quote

Well, pretty much every Death/Black/Grind band around today uses them. For examples, check out Morbid Angel, Hate Eternal, Nile, Origin, Angel Corpse, Napalm Death, Krisiun, Diabolic, Nasum, early Carcass, etc... Like I said, pretty much everybody uses em nowadays. I like them in smaller doses most of the time although there are times when I just want to hear the ultra-brutality of a Hate Eternal or Origin. Did you want specific parts of a song as an example? Any part where the beat sounds like a fast oscillating sprinkler or machine gun...Supposedly the first blast beats were from a punk band named Siege although some say that Repulsion started the sound. I like them but then again, I'm into alot of brutal Death and some Grind....
live4metal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject: Blast Beets Reply with quote

Blast beat is a term for I can't play the drums,but listen to how fast I hit the snare.
Metal1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: Blast Beets Reply with quote

Hey, is Demon's Whip by Manowar still holding the record for the fastest live recorded music ever? I know they are the loudest (I've heard it) but I don't know if this record held up for long.
lthunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:03 am    Post subject: Blast Beets Reply with quote

Hey live4metal, they actually take more talent to play than you are giving them credit for. I'm not saying they are the hardest thing in the world to play on the drums but they are fairly difficult. I wouldn't blanket call everyone who plays blastbeats untalented, half those guys are more talented than a lot of drummers out there. Like I said before, the best drummers use them for emphasis on the most brutal parts of a song and not all the time. I know alot of people sit there and say, "Yea, those Death Metal guys only know how to blast, they can't do anything else". Listen to whole albums and not one or two songs before you judge a drummer.....
General Zod

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:09 am    Post subject: Blast Beets Reply with quote

I'd agree with Ithunter. Classifying any musician as untalented based soley on the genre he plays in or the music he plays on disc, can be a mistake. Often these guys are simply playing what they feel best fits the song and not what showcases their individual talents.

GZ
live4metal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:48 am    Post subject: Blast Beets Reply with quote

Yeh,you guys may be right in that the drummer may be more talented than the material he plays.But if that is the case,what a waste of talent to play a style of music that's so limiting.I'm just not a big fan of the blast beat bands like Canibal Corpse,Morbid Angel & Terrorizer.I'll take Mike Portnoy over any of those drummers any day.
Subtraction

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject: Blast Beets Reply with quote

Cannibal Corpse's "hammer smashed face" has a perfect example of blast beats. It's just so obvious after the into part when they come in. I am just giving a specific example.

I used blast beats every once in a while. You need good timing though or else you will sound like crap. Blast beats for me were hitting the snare and highhat at the same time, very fast of course, while doing double bass. I always associate blast beats with these things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: