HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Queensryche (without Degarmo) and Dream Theater last night

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Icarus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject: Queensryche (without Degarmo) and Dream Theater last night Reply with quote

No Degarmo. That rumor turned out to be just that. It was only Tate on the radio show.
Regardless, this was a sick night of music. I won't go into long detailed reviews and set lists (mostly because my memory sucks), but all three bands put on real tight sets.

I don't have much to say about [b]Fates Warning[/b] as I'm only familiar with a few songs by them. Regardless, they did what they could with the minimal mixing and front end of the stage.

I was very psyched to hear [b]Queenrych[/b] do [i]Take Hold of The Flame[/i] as I heard from others that they did not play that song in other venues. I know why they played [i]Silent Lucidity[/i] but I could have done with out hearing it. For the most part Tate was right on and sounded like ht did back in '91' or so when I caught the "Building Empires" tour out in Albany, NY. Some of the high parts of [i]Speak[/i] he had a bit of trouble, but other than that he was right on. As far as Degarmo's replacement, he was OK. He missed some notes, but he was ok. I could have done without him wearing the hooded sweatshirt all night long (circa, 1993 Seattle grunge look), in fact no one got a look at his face until the encore.

I've been a [b]Dream Theater[/b] fan since [i]Images and Words[/i] came out 100 or so years ago, and since then I've had opportunities to see them live maybe 5 or 6 times. I alway passed their shows for fear of hearing a 3 hour long jam fest featuring one or two songs (I've seen enough of that with [b]Tool[/b]. This was the FIRST time I actually made the commitment. Let me tell you I'm glad that I did. I was standing there with my friend wondering if they'd reach back and play the first song I'd ever heard from them "Pull Me Under". Then, what do I hear, but the intro to this hard hitter . . . and then it began.

HOLY CRAP was I blown away by these guys. Not only did they open with one of my favorite songs, but the sound was phenomenal. I don't think the goosebumps dissapeared off my arms until about halfway through the show. Granted, much of the success of a bands sound comes from the sound techs, but the bottom line is, these guys are probably one of the best bands that I've seen live, ever. Everything from the vocals to the bass, guitar, keyboards and the drums and that hell of a kit Portnoy plays on was superb. Since 3 of the members went to school here in Boston, it seemed like they were really playing up to the crowd and the whole thing was just very enjoyable.

Of course everything has to come to an end and anyone who has seen a show in Boston or most places in New England knows what that means. When the city says a curfew is 12:00am they mean 12:00am and not 12:01am. The final song was "Metropolis". I don't need to remind every one that this is NOT a short song (but I will anyway). Time was running out and they needed to fit this song into the set list, so what do they do
. . . they basically doubled the tempo. That's right, they took this 8 or 10 minute song and cut in half by virtue of speeding up the tempo. This was simply amazing. I've never seen of heard anything like it.

Unfortunately, they were only able to one encore with [b]Queensryche[/b] instead of 2 or 3. (I have heard that both bands do encore's together, usually doing one of each band's songs together then another song). They both ended up playing a classic [b]Who[/b] song together which sounded excellent.

This was a great night of music indeed. I highly recomend anyone catching this tour if they can.
Jake

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:00 pm    Post subject: Queensryche (without Degarmo) and Dream Theater last night Reply with quote

Good review. I'm not a Dream Theater fan, but reading your review almost makes me wish I was(I did enjoy Pull Me Under though).

It's cool to hear the bands do different encores together too.
slavettgrind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:44 pm    Post subject: Queensryche (without Degarmo) and Dream Theater last night Reply with quote

Ok Boston.
I am so crappy with reviews. Bear with me.

Showed up just in time to hear Ryche hit the beginning of their set. As I have the promo for the new cd already i sang right along with the show opener, approprietly titled "OPEN" good times. Then, having seen the next 3 tunes the ngiht before and not being the biggest fan, it was merch time.
I returned and Geoff said we were going back in time to some older stuff. I was all set to hear "I AM I" but NOOOO they swtitched their set. Those demons. "TAKE HOLD OF THE FLAME" was next and as it is one of my top 3 ryche tunes, i did not object and shouted TAKE HOLD at the top of my lungs. Next, and also to my surprise, we took a "WALK IN THE SHADOWS". More fist pumping as everyone shouted WALK WITH ME. Then we got "a little closer to this decade" with "EMPIRE". Can't go wrong there. It amazes me the response Geoff gets by telling us the system is not working. Perhaps Rock and Progressive fans can't help but agree. The Empire hits trilogy continued with "Jet City Woman" and "Silent Lucidity". Both were as expected. However what was unexpected to me at least is how loud the crowd sang along to the verses of "Jet City Woman". Wow they were overpowering and it was very cool.
"I remember now" Mindcrime suite time. Full "I REMEMBER NOW" with animated footage. Then "Anarchy X" time. Scott Rockefield always has a great drum sound doesn't he? Hard hitter and very focused. Geoff then told us the next song was about revolution and putting a fist in the air. He didn't even have to let this crowd know that. The fists were flying in perfect time, mine included. d**n the arm is in pain after 2 nights of this. "SPEAK" and "EYES OF A STRANGER" rounded out the Mindcrime suite which went over mighty well. The band left and came back with a new song rom TRIBE, "Desert Dance" Call me cooky(you're cooky) but I dig this tune a lot so I was singing along and when Geoff said "Keep reaching c'mon c'mon", I did. Then the keyboards launched into "BEST I CAN", much as they finished with the night before. Good stuff and more fist in the air stuff. Overall, I was impressed for the second night in a row by my Seattle boys.
"The intro tape begins to roll...igniting sonic rage" This was indeed the scene as the MET 2000 intro went on and then came the opening of "PULL ME UNDER" and almost immediatly after that, pandemonium from the crowd. People went nuts to hear those very familiar guitar sounds. James came out to a huge response(ok, so I would like to think i was louder than anyone else for the new fit & Trim man). PMU was flawless and they followed it with "UNDER A GLASS MOON". Not my fave tune, but it was very well done and I enjoyed it. Next came my greatest fear, "THE GREAT DEBATE" This song just does not do it for my live. And it seems the crowd for the most part, minus the few prog snobs( [Wink] ) agreed. But the boys know what they are doing. The crowd was right back into it with "HOME" which seems to have become more interactive and overall a great presentation. "HOLLOW YEARS" was up and for the second night in a row, I went nuts. Love this tune. Not a problem hearing it again. Next we visited AWAKE with "A MIND BESIDE ITSELF" I am pretty sure James LaBrie preserved his voice all night to nail "VOICES" and the end of "THE SILENT MAN" It was incredible to hear that part done live. Then we got the already infamous "Metropolis (on speed!) Part 1". Poor James. But the dude nailed it!!! Had me applauding his efforts, not just cheering my approval. Well done man!!! A sweet little set.
Jam time. Now unfortunately it appears we were supposed to hear "THE SPIRIT CARRIES ON" plus another ryche tune but due to time constraints on an outside venue in Boston, we had time for only one tune. And they blasted out the WHO's 'WON'T GET FOOLED AGAIN". Being a Who fanatic and a fan of the bands playng it, i had no problems with this whatsoever. High energy from all involved(well xcept Myung because well, that would just look silly. Its not like he is mr crazy tackle the lead singer guy every night ) and it was great to see the interaction. I hope that James putting on a Boston baseball cap does not mean that he will choke for the next few decades as well. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] Great ending. I got pics though i was not very close. He he snuck that camera down my pants I did.

Well there ya go my review. I loathe Fate's Warning as a live band so for the second night in a row i missed them on purpose(i would have missed them anyway as I did have to work til 6 yesterday).
slavettgrind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:44 pm    Post subject: Queensryche (without Degarmo) and Dream Theater last night Reply with quote

Setlists from the bands that mattered(as the sound guys for both bands were cool enough to grace me with them)
RYCHE
OPEN
MY GLOBAL MIND
NM156
SCREAMING IN DIGITAL

TAKE HOLD OF THE FLAME
WALK IN THE SHADOWS
EMPIRE

JET CITY WOMAN
SILENT LUCIDITY

ANARCHY X
REVOLUTION CALLING
SPEAK
EYES OF A STRANGER

ENCORE:
DESERT DANCE
BEST I CAN

DT:
PULL ME UNDER
UNDER A GLASS MOON
THE GREAT DEBATE
HOME
HOLLOW YEARS
EROTOMANIA
VOICES
THE SILENT MAN
METROPOLIS(ON SPEED) PART 1

JAM TUNE
WON'T GET FOOLED AGAIN
madpriest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 2:19 am    Post subject: Queensryche (without Degarmo) and Dream Theater last night Reply with quote

what do you mean from the bands that mattered? have you not even heard Fates Warning??
The Dorf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 5:33 am    Post subject: Queensryche (without Degarmo) and Dream Theater last night Reply with quote

Well, I'm definitely going to see them Tuesday nite at Pier 6. If anybody else is going please let me know.

I picked up some of the QR remasters yesterday - the EP, Warning, Rage For Order, and Mindcrime. I forgot what an excellent disc RFO is, and the EP came with lyrics, so now I finally know all the words to Queen Of The Reich. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Icarus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 6:31 am    Post subject: Queensryche (without Degarmo) and Dream Theater last night Reply with quote

Thanks for the back up Slavettgrind.
One thing I thought we could have done without during the [b]Queensryche[/b] set were the narrations form [i]Mindcrime[/i] some of that stuff just really dated the band and didn't work well without doing the entire [i]Mindcrime[i] set as done in the early 90's. I too was plesently surprised to hear [i]Take Hold[/i] as I has alse seen [i]I Am I[/i] on other set listings.

Maybe we should try and hook up next time we both go to a show in the tri-city area, Boston, Worcester, or Providence(maybe even Lowell). Of course being a family man, I'm not able to hit the 15-20 shows a year as in my past but, I try and get to the bands I really like, if possible.
[img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Metal1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 7:13 am    Post subject: Queensryche (without Degarmo) and Dream Theater last night Reply with quote

Guys, I was at the show last night at the PNC Arts Center...and for the first time in a while, I'm speechless!

Fates were very good, much better than the last time I saw them in a smaller venue. On a side note, I had the pleasure of meeting Nick d'Virgilio, who is sitting in on drums for the tour (he's the drummer/lead singer for Spock's Beard.) I have to give him a lot of credit, just a total class guy. Very down to Earth considering the amount of pure talent the guy has!

Queensryche was the second best part of the night (they were the better band IMO, I'll explain in a sec.) Tate has taken on the look of Rob Halford, shaving his head, wearing all black & a wallet chain. I guess he got inspired, because his voice was the strongest I've heard since Empire. They did a couple new songs at the beginning, which were suprisingly good. But then they blew the croud away! They played about 14 pure classics, and they hit them all with pure intensity. I haven't seen this band so proud of their performance, it was really something else.

Next comes DT. Musically, you know what you are in for...musicainship beyond compare. This was pure musical masturbation! I think someone should investigate Mike Portnoy's past, because he's either an alien, or there's really 5 of him! I don't know how he does what he does with just two hands and two feet. Frigging amazing. I think the idea behind the setlist was to play a song from each album (minus WDADU.) I thought the setlist on a whole was a little weak just because they didn't do some of their more "hooky" songs like Pull Me Under, 6 O'clock, etc. Still, damn impressive, great mix, great players.

Here is the best part of the night. For DT's encore, both bands come out and just jam together. Rockenfield & Portnoy on THE SAME DRUMSET, playing 100% synchronized. That was cool enough, especially the complexity that they both played with. But the two real things that hit me was the mix and the pure musical atmosphere. First, whoever actually mixed all of those guys together deserves a medal! Tate was a little low in the mix, but everything else was perfect! Second, these guys were just plain old kicking ass and having fun. They played Under Peruvian Skies, The Real World, and Won't Get Fooled Again. This was the single coolest live moment I've experienced. The big power chords on Won't get Fooled Again almost knocked me on my ass!

OK, enough from me...guess I wasn't speechless after all!
slavettgrind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Queensryche (without Degarmo) and Dream Theater last night Reply with quote

Fates
Great in the studio but i have seen them live and felt that they were crap. It hurt too

Icarus, I should be seeing Def Leppard at the Fleet Pav. when they hit there. And BeautifuL Creatures when they play somewhere in Mass.. i think worcester
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: