HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HR/HM cliches in desperate need of a moratorium
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
General Zod

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:30 am    Post subject: HR/HM cliches in desperate need of a moratorium Reply with quote

I always thought it was "fire" and "desire" that was the most often abused rhyme.

GZ
chrisbjackson

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject: HR/HM cliches in desperate need of a moratorium Reply with quote

Yeah, "fire" and "desire" really mars Judas Priest's "Fever" for me. The lyrics in the verses are great and then you get the chorus which sounds like an afterthought.

In hard rock, "fits like a glove" or something to do with a glove, because you know it will always, always rhyme with "love" ("love" and "above" is a really bad one too).

And in power metal: "fight" and "light", or "might".
iwarrior

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 3:22 pm    Post subject: HR/HM cliches in desperate need of a moratorium Reply with quote

Anything about dragons.

I would disagree about Dio's lyrics though. He's moved away from the D&D stuff in recent years. I actually like his lyrics. They're very personal and cryptic.
zombie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: HR/HM cliches in desperate need of a moratorium Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by General Zod:
I always thought it was "fire" and "desire" that was the most often abused rhyme.

GZ

Watch the flames get higher
You got me burning with desire
feel the fire
feel the fire

Helix
Ug

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:06 am    Post subject: HR/HM cliches in desperate need of a moratorium Reply with quote

Feel the [i]Fire[/i]
The Burning [i]Desire[/i]
-Yngwie Malmsteen

Another one that annoys me is "Mine" and "End of Time" or "Together" and "Forever", used often in pop and rock ballads.
PaulEMoz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 6:36 am    Post subject: HR/HM cliches in desperate need of a moratorium Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ug'stoneage genius'Ogson:
Feel the [i]Fire[/i]
The Burning [i]Desire[/i]
-Yngwie Malmsteen

Another one that annoys me is "Mine" and "End of Time" or "Together" and "Forever", used often in pop and rock ballads.

Playing with fire, you'll get burned,
Flames grow higher, you'll never learn."

Yngwie Malmsteen

Actually, that's another one of Yngwie's rhyming patterns that could do with being retired: "learn" and "burn".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Fatalcharm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 8:08 am    Post subject: HR/HM cliches in desperate need of a moratorium Reply with quote

Skies, and eyes, and bad and sad. And practically every album throws the word heart around.
PHDPLUS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:30 am    Post subject: HR/HM cliches in desperate need of a moratorium Reply with quote

Reading these posts only brings to mind "Man on the Silver Mountain" by Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow.
Metalfilm1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:44 pm    Post subject: HR/HM cliches in desperate need of a moratorium Reply with quote

In the death metal underground, the expression "brutal as ****" should be expunged as some automatic benchmark of quality. Similarly, "grim" and "kult" should be discontinued, as should "necro," with the sole exception of the band Anaal Nathrakh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: