HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I was Wrong/Concert Review
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
General Zod

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: I was Wrong/Concert Review Reply with quote

Yes, it's true. As hard as it may be for some of you to believe, I was wrong. Whenever the issue of age has been discussed on this board, relative to Metal musicians, I have always been of the belief that performing Heavy Metal is best left to the young. Well, after seeing Iron Maiden and Dio last Friday at the PNC Art Center in NJ, and again last night at Madison Square Garden, I now state that Metal is best left to those who play it best, regardless of their age.

Dio, who I saw back in the day on both the "Sacred Heart" and "Dream Evil" tours, was flawless. His voice as beautiful, powerful, distinctive and dynamic as ever. He doesn't lack for energy on stage, nor does he shorten his lyrics because he's out of breath (as men half his age will sometimes do). He delivered such Dio classics as "Holy Diver", "Rainbow in the Dark", "The Last in Line" and "I Speed at Night" effortlessly. Though, to be fair to the whole age issue, in what was less than an hour set, Dio left the stage twice for what were completely unnecessary guitar and drum solos. While Craig Goldy and Simon Wright are both solid musicians, neither is so gifted, nor has such an original sound, that their talents need to be showcased in this manner. Clearly these solos represent time for Ronnie to rest, so that he may maintain a respectable stage energy. Ideally this time could have been better utilized delivering such Dio favorites as "Don't Talk to Strangers". None the less, when all was said and done, the old man rocked.

Truth be told, I have never been a huge Maiden fan. I'm familiar with most of their material, and have always held Maiden in high regard as one of the trend setters in Metal's early days. When I originally learned that Maiden was touring, I didn't buy tickets. It wasn't until a moment of boredom, when I found myself wandering eBay's pages, that I came across these tickets and decided, "what the hell". Suffice it to say, I'm glad I went. Maiden is an amazing live band, who is as good as any of the 200+ bands I have seen live. Bruce runs around the stage with the energy of a coked-up 19 year old, and somehow never misses a note. For the duration of the performance, Bruce held the audience in the palm of his hand. While the rest of the band isn't nearly as energetic, their delivery is perfect. I didn't hear a single missed note in either of the two performances I saw. However, what truly sets a Maiden concert apart from most, is the level of fan participation, which is born out of the fact that Maiden's songs beg to be sung along with. Most of the audience sung every word to such favorites as "Fear of the Dark", "The Clairvoyant", "Number of the Beast" and "The Clansman". The only disappointing moment of the show was when they turned the lights on, signaling the concert’s end, after a blistering encore that included "Two Minutes to Midnight" and "Run to the Hills".

So, while it's true that the gents in Maiden and Dio may be as old as my father (or older), it turns out that age isn't their only similarity to dear old Dad. They were also up to the task of administering the type of ass kicking one deserves when he disrespects his elders.

GZ
Desslar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: I was Wrong/Concert Review Reply with quote

I thought Dio was pretty solid, but the performances of Rainbow in the Dark and Holy Diver seemed to be slowed down a bit from the album versions, and could have really used the manic energy that the Maiden performance had.
JesseR72

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: I was Wrong/Concert Review Reply with quote

A friend of mine just saw this show at Camden, NJ. He said bth were great, but Dio BLEW HIM AWAY! He was never much of a Dio fan, but live, Dio won him over!
Horace

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: I was Wrong/Concert Review Reply with quote

So does this mean no more "elder" abuse from Zod? And can the surviving guys from FOGHAT come back now?

I was at the show last night at MSG and I'll agree with everything Zod said, except that DIO has been sticking unnecesary guitar and drum solos in his shows for as long as I can remember, so I'm not sure if it is because he actually needs a rest, or just that he LIKES them...

Btw, MOTORHEAD's set had a drum solo too, but since Mikey Dee is so good I didn't mind (nice job on "Overkill"!).

As for MAIDEN, the opening 4 numbers were probably the most intense start to a show I've ever seen (Number, Trooper, Die With Your Boots On, Hallowed Be Thy Name). And Bruce is a mexican jumping bean onstage - he even managed to pull off the flag-waving bit during "The Trooper" (which could have turned into a real SPINAL TAP moment). Phenomenal performance from MAIDEN.
MAIDENFAN

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: I was Wrong/Concert Review Reply with quote

I must admit i'm very impressed with your comments general zod. I have been reading this board for over a year now and i have noticed u always seem to downgrade maiden. But to your credit, You checked them out live not once but twice and it seems u have seen the light! Congradulations! Maybe ur not a bad guy afterall. lol. Anyways thanks for ur honesty. I will be seeing maiden in Cleveland this tuesday. Rock on brother.
General Zod

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: I was Wrong/Concert Review Reply with quote

Horace,

No. Foghat should stay where they are.

MAIDENFAN,

Looking back, I'm not sure why I never got more into Maiden. I used to have most of their stuff on tape. When I converted to CD, I skimped and bought only "Best of the Beast". Suffice it to say that the following are now on my "To Buy" list:

Number of the Beast
Piece of Mind
Powerslave
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Somewhere in Time

GZ
Metal1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: I was Wrong/Concert Review Reply with quote

GZ, this comes from a fellow EHS graduate (yes, we can spel after al.)

I was at the Arts center show, and my ears are still ringing! If I knew you were there, I would have loved to met you, bud. Its funny, you graduated the same year as my cousin, I wonder if you knew her.

As for your review, you pretty much knocked it square in the balls.

Dio. This man is not human. I met him once, and he was so down to Earth, I knew he couldn't be human! Noone has a voice like that without developing an ego! At PNC, him and Goldy were obviously having some problems with the sound guy. But, despite that, Dio made it look like nothing was happening. He has a voice that should never be forgotten. He is the metal version of John Fogerty (sp, I apologige.) He emits an aura, only ones like Halford, Dickinson, and Ozzy have. I was amazed at how Dio covered a huge mistake on Holy Diver. They were lost up there, I could see it. But the professionalism of Ronnie made it look like they planned everything. True hail for RJD, he is a living legend, one who deserves a hell of a lot more props than he gets.

OK...maiden....

GZ, I'm amazed you never really dug Maiden as much as I did. I remember the first song that really got me into Metal. I remember listening to Caught Somewhere in Time in Homeroom at EHS! They took my walkman away thay morning, and I was pissed! To see them live makes you respect them all the more.

If people try and critic IM playing The Clansman live, take a look at Steve Harris. If I had to look twice, I'd say Steve IS William Wallace! He, as well as the rest of the band, bring the songs to a different level. Harris and Dickinson show more emotion on stage than anyone I've ever seen. 99% of the bands today would pass out after playing 2 live Maiden songs!

GZ, I hope seeing them live gives you a new respect to what Maiden really is. They are pure metal musicians, and I have to give one little down note. They can't capture what they are live on CD. A lot of bands have tried to, but noone has been able to do it. I know that when I hear Wildest Dreams on CD, it won't equal what I had the honor of hearing live.

Up the F#&king irons, Metal is coming back. The brain-washed media will pick up on it very soon. I just hope you guys remember the buds you found on here, as Metal-come-lately's join.

Then agian, be nice to them, its about time we had some new friends!
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:33 pm    Post subject: I was Wrong/Concert Review Reply with quote

I'd love to see Maiden, even now that they haven't put out a good album in over 15 years.

No, I really would - even people who think about them same as I do seem to be very impressed by their live performance.

Except for Jannick, who it seems has garnered as much hatred from fans live as he does on record.

Any comment on Jannick?
MAIDENFAN

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:29 pm    Post subject: I was Wrong/Concert Review Reply with quote

GENERAL ZOD, May i suggest that u pick up life after death on cd as well. That is my all time favorite album and many would say the greatest live metal album ever. Anyways i can tell ur a class guy. As for jannick, I know alot of people don't like him but i think he is entertaining to watch live.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: