HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looks like Yngwie is the 3rd "G" on this year's G3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 4:04 pm    Post subject: Looks like Yngwie is the 3rd "G" on this year's G3 Reply with quote

I remember Yngwie saying in at least two interviews that the reason he always (well, almost always) re-improvises new solos live is because he has a terrible musical memory and can't remember what he'd done earlier.

Which kind of fits with my general impression of Yngwie solos - the solo itself doesn't matter as much as how Yngwie it is.
Ug

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Looks like Yngwie is the 3rd "G" on this year's G3 Reply with quote

I was fortunate enough to see the three guitarists live (seperate occasions of course) on this side of the globe. I have always enjoyed Malmsteen's stuff live more than studio but Vai blew me away, every bits and pieces of me. I am not saying that because Vai is my favourite guitarist. What I mean is that whether on stage or in the studio, you can never tell what Vai is going to do next, he rides the tsunamis of creativity and the same goes for Satriani although he's been a litte weak in the creativity department on his recent albums.

My complaint with Malmsteen has alway been the "faster than thou" solos, I wish he would play something with feeling like "For the Love of God" or "All Alone" instead of solos that challenge the speed of light.

I don't want this to become another "best guitarist in the world thread". I am just saying that to consider Satriani/Vai talentless, below Malmsteen or anything similar is no just unfair, it's....it's absurd.
PHDPLUS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject: Looks like Yngwie is the 3rd "G" on this year's G3 Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ug'stoneage genius'Ogson:
I don't want this to become another "best guitarist in the world thread". I am just saying that to consider Satriani/Vai talentless, below Malmsteen or anything similar is no just unfair, it's....it's absurd.

I don't think Satch/Vai are talentless, thanks to electricity. These guys don't play music as much as they experiment with electronic gimmickry. Pull the plug on that crap and you've got nothing left. I hear that one of the highlights of the G3 tour is when Satch and Vai play with each others' whammy bar--film at eleven. Yngwie doesn't need gadgets to sound great. He also doesn't need crappy-assed tapping, hammer-ons, or echoplexes to get him through the night, unlike S/V. If the ending jam is acoustic, the announcement will have to be made: "Satch and Vai have left the hall due to heavy seizing-up in the lockerroom". Someone talked about "nailing" something. Okay, alot of their stuff does sound like a carpenter gone crazy with a black-and-decker staple gun or band saw, but "nailing" a bunch of worthless eighth-notes is child's play. Yngwie warms up on eighth notes and then cruises on 32nd notes, and he always "nails" it and usually surpasses his studio efforts live and in color.

Unfortunately and factually, this G3 tour is several steps down from Yngwie's crowning achievement "Live Concerto" with the New Japan Philharmonic. Then he was challenged and met the challenge with an exceptional performance. Now, I guess this is his way of gaining some publicity in the musically illiterate U.S. Whatever it is, the fact remains: Paganini joins the Marx Brothers on the next G3 tour. It's the Dazzle 'Em With Brilliance/Baffle 'Em With BullS**t tour. I hope everyone has a good time.
Butchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject: Looks like Yngwie is the 3rd "G" on this year's G3 Reply with quote

I've said since the inception of this tour that Yngwie should be the third G. I've seen all three of these guys multiple times. I will say that Yngwie has a fluid style. When he plays it seems effortless. To pull that off at the speed that he plays is incredible to see live. I had the pleasure of seeing him open for Dio a couple of years ago on the WTEAW tour with Jorn singing at the show. The sound was very loud and distorted and I was dissapointed but none the less, he still shined.

Joe Satriani is the common guys guitar player. He is very blues based and doesn't stray too much away from what he has already done. His set list doesn't change much either. Needless to say, even though it is his tour, I could do without seeing him again.

As far as Steve Vai goes, he is my idol. As far as pulling the plug on his talent, The guy transcribed ALL of Frank Zappa's music on paper in order to get in his band. A feat that even Zappa himself admittedly could not do. Steve holds a degree in music from Berkley and can write an entire piece of music without laying his hands on an instrument just to keep his mind sharp. He does take advantage of technology as he should. It's 2003 and if it's out there, let's hear what a master can do with it. I believe Steve to be the most creative musician of our generation. As far as passion in the playing, all three have much passion for what they do. My preference of course is Vai. Passion and Warfare is my all time favorite disc. He is also a class act. I've met him twice, have many signatures including a guitar that I won and have seen him live 5 times solo ( and once with DLR and Whitesnake). He is always great to talk to and doesn't have an ego the size of NY.

I will very much enjoy this tour and really look forward to the improv jam at the end of the night. As far as the highlight being Joe and Steve playing with the whammy bars, uh..........maybe that guy slept through the rest of the show.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 8:13 pm    Post subject: Looks like Yngwie is the 3rd "G" on this year's G3 Reply with quote

I saw Stariani twice in the last two years. Once as a surprise joining Deep Purple, and then alone with his band.

I love Satriani since "Flying In A Blue Dream" and I have all his albums, and saw him playing live barely 5 meters from were I was sitted was the ultimate thrill. That guy dance on the guitar with such freshness, virtuosity and feeling that I was mesmerized by his artistic talent.

I have also all Vai and Malmsteen albums, and I have to agree what with Paul, Tyranno, Butch and Ug have said. No matter how good (if some) Malsteen can be, he his just speed and scales, no real feeling. He can be perfect playing in a power metal band, but the heart and soul that Satriani have in "The Forgotten part 2", "Friends", "Ceremony", "Dweller In The Threshold", etc. Or what Vai can give in "For The Love Of God", "Brother", "Light Of The Moon", "Bad Horsie", etc., Malmsteen will still be praying for it 10 years from now.
PaulEMoz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Looks like Yngwie is the 3rd "G" on this year's G3 Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Wyvern:

I have also all Vai and Malmsteen albums, and I have to agree what with Paul, Tyranno, Butch and Ug have said. No matter how good (if some) Malsteen can be, he his just speed and scales, no real feeling. He can be perfect playing in a power metal band, but the heart and soul that Satriani have in "The Forgotten part 2", "Friends", "Ceremony", "Dweller In The Threshold", etc. Or what Vai can give in "For The Love Of God", "Brother", "Light Of The Moon", "Bad Horsie", etc., Malmsteen will still be praying for it 10 years from now.

Hey! I never said that! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

No, I think Yngwie plays with a hell of a lot of feeling, but it comes over differently for me. I don't believe a song has to be slow to mean it has feeling (although Dweller On The Threshold, that you mentioned, isn't slow - one of my Satch faves that).

If I were to mention Yngwie solos/pieces that I feel have huge amounts of feeling in them from, ooh, say his last three albums, I could name:

Leonardo
Blue
Asylum Suite (particularly Sky Euphoria)
Prophet Of Doom
Crucify
The Wizard
Tarot
Treasure From The East
Valhalla
Majestic Blue
Air

Great stuff. I hope he plays a couple of those instrumentals I mentioned on the G3 tour.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PHDPLUS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:19 pm    Post subject: Looks like Yngwie is the 3rd "G" on this year's G3 Reply with quote

If more people posted or responded to posts in a civil and classy manner like PaulEMoz and Butchman do, it would not be necessary for me to render the truth in such stark terms.
Urizen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject: Looks like Yngwie is the 3rd "G" on this year's G3 Reply with quote

I think this is a perfect line up
Yngwie takes care of the metal side of things
Vai, the rock side of it
and Satriani, the bluesy side of it

Petrucci was very good last time

One of my very first concerts was Yngwie, and he blew me away
He certainly enjoys playing music and so do Vai and Satch so I don't really understand the argument going on here
Personally I prefer Yngwie and Vai over Satch
General Zod

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject: Looks like Yngwie is the 3rd "G" on this year's G3 Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by PHDPLUS:
If more people posted or responded to posts in a civil and classy manner...

Mr. Pot, meet Mr. Kettle.

GZ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: