HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What metal bands are the most experimental right now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: What metal bands are the most experimental right now? Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrannorabbit:
quote:
Originally posted by Ug'stoneage genius'Ogson:
quote:
Originally posted by Wyvern:

Iron Maiden, they are experimenting how to lose fans quick.

I assume you have the new album.
It's an ongoing experiment under the supervision of one "Prof. Gers"
@ Ug: No I don't. I heard the MP3s and those discouraged me to get the new album, if that is not experimentation, then I don't know.

@ TR: Like my friend Daniel says: [i]I don't mind Gers if they keep him to carry on the guitars as a roadie.[/i]
Metalfilm1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:56 am    Post subject: What metal bands are the most experimental right now? Reply with quote

Good list so far. Does anyone else think that Spiral Architect applies (even though they only have one album)?

Sculptured, Arcturus, Scholomance also need mention here.
Jake

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: What metal bands are the most experimental right now? Reply with quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrannorabbit:
quote:
Originally posted by Ug'stoneage genius'Ogson:
quote:

Iron Maiden, they are experimenting how to lose fans quick.

I assume you have the new album.
It's an ongoing experiment under the supervision of one "Prof. Gers"
@ Ug: No I don't. I heard the MP3s and those discouraged me to get the new album, if that is not experimentation, then I don't know.

@ TR: Like my friend Daniel says: [i]I don't mind Gers if they keep him to carry on the guitars as a roadie.[/i]

I don't think they are losing fans quickly. The new album isn't very good, but the fans still seem to be into them.
JGunnz1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:29 pm    Post subject: What metal bands are the most experimental right now? Reply with quote

I would have to say Opeth. I just checked out some MP3's of the new album, and I had to double check that it was actually Opeth! I have never heard such a change before, and it is definitely not for the better. Sure their musicianship shines, but it is a cheesy sound. Before anyone hangs me for that statement, keep in mind I have only listened to it once or twice. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
FALCON

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:12 pm    Post subject: What metal bands are the most experimental right now? Reply with quote

For something very good and worth while, I'd 2nd Pain of Salvation from Metal1,

While surely the most experimental I think at this moment is Metallica, at least there is nothing I have ever heard like that disc in comparison with the bands vintage sound. (ps I am not impressed, go figure). Please try another experiment, in fact, don't. good post.
Ug

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:31 pm    Post subject: What metal bands are the most experimental right now? Reply with quote

Bruce Dickinson
bringer

Location: somewehere in between the specs of pictures burnt beyond

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:01 am    Post subject: What metal bands are the most experimental right now? Reply with quote

That's easy, Alchemist of course.
Paul G

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:50 am    Post subject: What metal bands are the most experimental right now? Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Metalfilm1:
Good list so far. Does anyone else think that Spiral Architect applies (even though they only have one album)?

Sculptured, Arcturus, Scholomance also need mention here.

Spiral Architect is headed down the path of Cynic & Watchtower, incredibly gifted technical bands that quit the scene and give up after 1 or 2 records...sad.

Iron Maiden, most of the fans on their board really dig the new record, I have NO idea why.

Exploring new sounds -

Enslaved - probably the best black-viking metal band on the planet, they never stay in one place for more than one disc

Satyricon - same

Opeth - took a huge leap sideways with Damnation, a one shot acoustic record

Metallica - yeah St.Anger sucks bad, the easiest thing for them would be to release a MOPII, but no they actually released this...that took balls

The Gathering - not even close to being metal anymore and badly marketed to boot, I love Souvenirs, they can be placed right alongside Radiohead, Sigur ROS in my books.

Alchemist - Australian metal band that RULES

power metal genre: no one
traditional metal: maybe CAGE

Swedish/Gothenburg style melodic death: I wish this stuff would just go AWAY, like Nu-metal this genre is burnt right out, the last Dark Tranquility disc is the probably the best of the last 2 years

there are plenty of bands doing a hybrid mix of numerous styles of metal
iwarrior

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:57 am    Post subject: What metal bands are the most experimental right now? Reply with quote

Arcturus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: