HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HardRadio...last remaining metal haven
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mijarra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:07 pm    Post subject: HardRadio...last remaining metal haven Reply with quote

I liked System of a Down, at least what I heard on the radio. So I finally broke down and got all open minded and bought their CD, and it just sucks with a capital "S". The band sounds okay, very thrash-like and heavy in a lot of places, but the out of time and bizarre vocals and almost childish lyrics make it unlistenable. I mean, they are just awful. The 2 songs I heard on the radio are the only bright spots on the CD.

I hate when this happens, but I never learn. This marks about the 5th time I've gotten excited about some rock band on the radio only to be disappointed. People say change with the times and get with the nu-metal thing, but as much as I try it just pales in comparison with classic metal and the lesser known bands around today. It's not a generation thing, it's about good music versus lousy music, it's that simple. I just can believe bands like this become millionaires while real metal bands have to work second jobs and scrape to get by. The general public are such idiots, and I feel like an idiot for having any hope that there actually is a decent mainstream band out there.

I think HardRadio is one of the only places left on the planet where people really know and care about good heavy music.

I guess I don't completely hate this System of a Down disc...is does make a nice coaster to set my drinks on.
iwarrior

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:23 pm    Post subject: HardRadio...last remaining metal haven Reply with quote

There's plenty of quality metal out there Mijarra. You just have to look for it. You should know by now that radio sucks. I don't know why you're bummed out.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:37 pm    Post subject: HardRadio...last remaining metal haven Reply with quote

I agree with iwarrior, there a hundreds of good METAL bands out there. How come I hadn't listen to radio for more than 15 years and I still find new sounds and new bands?

Don't you know that radio must play the songs determined by the label? That most albums oriented for a great market, have 1-2 catchy songs and lots of fillers/garbage is a fact.

You want to find new music for real? Ask in forums, look for MP3s on the net, read webzines, etc. Don't look for it in commercial radio is a waste of time.
Rockangel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:35 pm    Post subject: HardRadio...last remaining metal haven Reply with quote

Well I still kinda like em. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] but it is more the music and not the lyrics I like.

But I gotta say kudos Mijarra, at least you were open minded enough to give it a go. A fair shake, and an honest opinion. Now that is something I can really respect. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 1:17 am    Post subject: HardRadio...last remaining metal haven Reply with quote

SOAD was pretty entertaining for about four days for each album, and since then they've both been shelf-fillers. I don't dislike them, but jeez...I've got 1400 other discs to choose from and I'm just never in the mood to listen to these over the others.

Safe bet: never buy anything based on what you hear on rock radio. Somehow, investigate further.
Mijarra

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 9:34 am    Post subject: HardRadio...last remaining metal haven Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by iwarrior:
There's plenty of quality metal out there Mijarra. You just have to look for it. You should know by now that radio sucks. I don't know why you're bummed out.

I know man, but it's like this:

I love bands like Evergrey, In Flames, Nevermore, Dark Tranquillity, Shadows Fall etc, and they have their place and get a large amount of listening time. But I also like heavy [i]rock[/i], the type of niche that used to be filled by bands like Dokken, AC/DC, Motley Crue, Van Halen etc...know what I mean?

As a guitar player, I enjoy playing thrash and death type stuff to for fun, but I'm just not going to tune my Les Paul down to C# or whatever and learn an In Flames song. When I really want to be inspired I look to bands like Van Halen, Randy-era Ozzy, White Lion, Tesla, Dokken, Living Colour etc....or even Jimi Hendrix, SRV, Clapton or Led Zep.

When I read a few interviews with SOAD's guitarist, he seemed really interested in promoting guitar driven music. The songs on the radio had some nice riffs and at least an attempt at some melodic stuff. But, it turns out to be the same old crap.

I do know there is other metal out there that is great, and I like them a lot, but there is still a little corner of hard rock and metal that is seriously lacking these days. Zakk Wylde and BLS are honestly the only band I can think of right now that are within that criteria. Everthing else is either extreme metal or crap metal. I know there are underground bands like Teer and Westworld that are out there, but from what I've hear of them they aren't that great either. The only other good music I hear that's heavy rock with good guitar playing is 10-20 years old. Everything new sucks.
Mijarra

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 9:45 am    Post subject: HardRadio...last remaining metal haven Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rockangel:
But I gotta say kudos Mijarra, at least you were open minded enough to give it a go. A fair shake, and an honest opinion. Now that is something I can really respect. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Thanks, I really am trying! I have a tendency to get very angry with the world and the people in it, and I am trying very hard to "get it" when it comes to modern music. I can't say I am even close to understanding why a band like System of a Down, The White Stripes, or Korn would interest someone, but I am doing everything in my power to avoid becomeing one of those guys that hates teenagers because they don't make sense to him. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I always think of something Grandpa Simpson once said to Homer when Homer told him to "Get with it":

Grandpa Simpson: "I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was, and now what I'm with isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you!"
The Dorf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 12:50 pm    Post subject: HardRadio...last remaining metal haven Reply with quote

I've said this before, but I'll say it again: I have friends of mine tell me that I gotta get with the times musically, but judging from what I hear on the radio, these times TOTALLY SUCK!! Our local "rock" station [i]constantly[/i] plays Crud, er, Creed, Staind underwear, and Stinkin Fart, er, Linkin Park - either them, or other new bands that sound EXACTLY like them. Fact is, the majority doesn't care, they are perfectly content with whatever the media crams down their throats. (THANK YOU SIR MAY I HAVE ANOTHER?!?!) And this majority is probably the same majority who can't get through the day without hearing any news about Ben and J-Lo. Believe me, if it weren't for Hardradio, I wouldn't have known that bands like Iced Earth or Angel Dust or Opeth or In Flames even exist!! THANK YOU, HR, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Confession: I think the White Stripes' "Seven Nation Army" is the absolute coolest tune I've heard on the radio in a long time.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: HardRadio...last remaining metal haven Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mijarra:
I do know there is other metal out there that is great, and I like them a lot, but there is still a little corner of hard rock and metal that is seriously lacking these days. Zakk Wylde and BLS are honestly the only band I can think of right now that are within that criteria. Everthing else is either extreme metal or crap metal.[/QB]

Interesting point, to [b]my taste[/b] BLS is pretty extreme, I didn't like it when I heard it, and I hadn't change my mind. Some of the bands you have mentioned before are extreme to me.

These days I'm enjoying stuff like Amorphis, Mercury Tide, Krux, Gary Hughes, Tarot, Praying Mantis along with Blackmore's Night and Blind Guardian (all 2003 stuff). I found a lot of guitar work, along with bass, drums, keys in all these music. Maybe is not as melodic AOR as some of the bands you mentioned but is good hard rock/heavy metal to me.
None of the aforementioned bands were discovered through radio of any type, was through friends, websites, zines, etc. I find that is much more easy today to find music that was 15 years ago with radio.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: