HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

On request my G3 appreciation
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:05 pm    Post subject: On request my G3 appreciation Reply with quote

I wasn't about to talk about the concert, but PHDP forced me into it.

YM started, and as eager as I was, as much as I love to play air guitar to his music, the magic dies almost immediately. The guy is in a very poor shape, for being the youngest of the three he looks like tha oldest.I believe that Yngwie is a poor shadow of himself
His band was barely good, he waste more time toying, drinking and talking to a roadie than actually playing. The bass player sucked, and his solo was just miserable noise. The keyboardist play decently and Patrik Johansson did his best considering he made a bad decision leaving Stormwind for YM's band.
When Yngwie sang, I couldn't understand shit (and I was less than 10 m from the speakers). Most of his repertoire was from the first album, a little from the concerto, 'Baroque & Roll', 'Krakatau' and lots of shreedding without feeling. I miss stuff some other good instrumentals like 'Bite The Bullet', 'Leviathan', 'Trilogy', and I do miss a singer.
I must concede that ending with 'Far Beyond The Sun' was the best thing to do and the highlight of his presentation. Another thing which I concede is that as childish as he was, he didn't interfere with Vai and/or Satriani playing during the final jam acting like a [i]prima donna[/i]. And he was the one who presented Joe at the end, which I liked a lot.

From all three Vai was the best, all original music (except the great ending 'For The Love Of God'), the best musicians (besides Matt Bisonette), a great feeling and passion in the playing, lots of energy, but I do feel he misused Tony MacAlpine who IMO should have been the third G3. The band was tighter than a tourniquet, full with fun, quality, technique, and power.

After Vai finished a girl turn to me and ask me if I played guitar (I was airing too much I guess LOL), and I said no. Then I ask her if she plays, and she said she plays piano (so unlike me she at least knows about music techniques). So I ask her what does she things of the concert so far. She was pretty direct: "I didn't like the first guy, but Vai was very good".
Sad isn't it? I mean this girl has probably never heard a YM album and her first contact with the guy is a poor presentation.

Satriani closed with a decent set, again too much into "The Extremist", "Surfing With The Alien" and "Flying In A Blue Dream". I missed stuff like 'Ceremony', 'Devil's Slide', 'Moroccan Sunset', 'Dweller In The Threshold' and 'The Forgotten, part 2' to mention a few. Satriani played very good and almost identical to the studio album which denotes quality, but again not very interesting live (besides I heard him some months ago live in the same place with the same band).

The final jam was interesting but the choose of songs didn't heat me up much, being the one play by Satriani the most interesting.

As a summary:

Vai was the best, Satriani did fine but limited, and Yngwie needs to clean his act and get back to basics.

P.S. The DJ between the performances played the worst possible music and was repetitive, the security harrased unnecesarily a lot of people and the seating/accomodations of the Reno Hilton is not good for this type of presentations.
Jake

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: On request my G3 appreciation Reply with quote

Thanks for the review. I want to see this show, but you have toned down my expectations for Yngwie who hopefully won't disappoint me as much as he did for you.
PHDPLUS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: On request my G3 appreciation Reply with quote

You're right, we are sorry that I asked! If I wanted to hear biased drivel from an amateur, I could have asked the sorry-assed broad next to you at the concert and you could have saved yourself the grief.

Happily, my source is an accomplished musician who only has a passing interest in electric guitar. He was there to keep his son company at the concert. His forthright assessment was that Yngwie completely stole the show. Technically, as even Vai would admit, Yngwie is light years ahead of the whammy-bar tapping antics of your typical electric guitarist. It doesn't surprise me then that the reports that the rest of us are hearing are pro-Yngwie whether you knew him before or not.

Thankfully for you guys, it's a free country and you can worship all of the crap that you like to worship. For me, my friends, and all of the real musicians out there like Satch and Vai, we're going to see G3 to watch Yngwie blow us away with his incomparable ability on the guitar. For Satch and Vai it's extra sweet since they have front row seats to watch the Maestro's magic.

Again Wyvern, thanks for nothing!
Jake

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: On request my G3 appreciation Reply with quote

Hey now, no need to bash on Wyvern. He's a good guy, who happens to like the songs with vocals. Since Yngwie is playing mostly instrumentals this tour I can understand how he'd be disappointed.

Me? I'm excited. I love most of the Yngwie instrumentals I've heard. I just hope I make it to the concert in the first place(I don't have tickets yet).
Tic3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:33 pm    Post subject: On request my G3 appreciation Reply with quote

"You're right, we are sorry that I asked! If I wanted to hear biased drivel from an amateur, I could have asked the sorry-assed broad next to you at the concert and you could have saved yourself the grief."

......nevermind....
Ug

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: On request my G3 appreciation Reply with quote

Wyvern- I agree with you, Yngwie does need a little "tuning". As for Vai, he is one of the best, the more I listen to "For the Love..." the more I like it. For me the classic G3 line up would have have been Vai, Satriani and Jeff Beck.
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: On request my G3 appreciation Reply with quote

PHDPLUS - you sir, are a pompous prick...which makes your posts hard to take seriously, but fun to read, like interviews with Yngwie. I'm glad you're here.

Wait a sec...you're really Yngwie, aren't you? Go on, say it...gimme that line about the focking fury!
General Zod

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:18 am    Post subject: On request my G3 appreciation Reply with quote

I agree with Tyranno here. If PHDPLUS is half the musician he thinks he is, his opinion would be interesting if it wasn't so completely distorted by his fanboy love of Yngwie.

GZ
Ug

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:28 pm    Post subject: On request my G3 appreciation Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrannorabbit:
Wait a sec...you're really Yngwie, aren't you? Go on, say it...gimme that line about the focking fury!

heheheh....

A point to ponder...hmmmmm!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: