HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best/worst of 2003 list (since im too poor to buy anymore cd
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGR_32

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:17 am    Post subject: Best/worst of 2003 list (since im too poor to buy anymore cd Reply with quote

This year im gonna do my top 15 list, then my worst 5 list. All in all, i bought close to 50
cd's this year. Didnt buy as many cd's this year as normal. And alot of them were cd's trying to catch up from the last couple of years. I will say that at the beginning of the year i would have never of thought that in a year when we got a new release from Helloween, Iron Maiden and the Gathering, all 3 of which are in my top 10 bands of all time that none of there releases make my top 15. And that in fact 2 of them would make my
worst 5 list. Anyway if you agree or disagree with my choices, i hope you enjoy the read as much as i enjoy all of yours.

#15 Cage Darker then black
Not the most unique cd. And they certainly didnt do anything extremly special here
But i liked it from the first time i heard it. I also tend to be influenced on a cd if i really
enjoy a bands live performance, and they kicked some ass at Milwaukee metalfest this year.

#14 Masterplan Masterplan
I really thought this one would make my top 10 for sure. My taste in music has changed alot from the first of the year, and to be honest i just kinda got bored with this one after a while.

#13 Old Mans Child In Defiance of Existence
I know alot of others didnt care for this one, but i liked it, although as the months have
passed and the new Dimmu Borgir came out, i find i listen to it less and less

#12 Cradle of Filth Damnation and a Day
I think its there best since Cruelty and the Beast. I dont know if anyone else did though.

#11 The Black Dahlia Murder Unhallowed
I really hope they do a good job of picking a new singer. If they do, i think they will
give me a top 5 of the year cd soon. Death metal fans need to pick this up if you havent.

#10 Arch Enemy Anthiems of Rebellion
A great cd. Didnt think it would make my top 10 at first, but then it really started to
grow and grow on me. Not as good as Wages of Sin but still very good.

#9 Soilwork Figure Number Five
Dont think you could call these guys death metal anymore, or is the term death metal
lite? But i liked it and am still bummed i missed them live this year.

#8 Nevermore Enemies of Reality
Seems like alot of mixed reaction to this cd as well. However it works for me

#7 Naglfar Sheol
Just a great Black Metal band and cd. Also was worth seeing live this year.

#6 Vital Remains Dechristianze
The best Death metal cd released in maybe the last 5 years. (again just my opinion)

#5 Children of Bodom Hate Crew Deathroll
I have enjoyed each of there cd's some more then others, i might end up listing this one as there best yet.

#4 King Diamond Puppet Master
Ive been a King fan for over 20 years now. I have to admit i was starting to wonder if his best stuff was behind him. This cd gives me hope for Kings future. by far his best solo release in several years.

#3 Dimmu Borgir Death Cult Armageddon
I actually could rank this as my #1. If it had came out earlier in the year, it probably would be. But the amount i listend to the top 2, pushes this one to #3(same with King at #4)

#2 Opeth Damnation
I know some who say this cd is boring. Maybe it is, but when your in a certain mood there might be no better cd ever created. I swear i can put this cd on and for the duration of it every problem i have drifts away for a little bit anyway.

#1 Lullacry Crucify my Heart
Ok im sure this will suprise alot of you, as most of you know that my taste in metal runs more to the Death/Black metal side of life. However There is no other cd ive listend to more this year. I was blown away from the first listen. And they also will make my top concerts of the year as well. They were the best live band at milwaukee metalfest this year. and for my money this is the best cd of 2003.

Ok my worst cd list
#5 Kamelot Epica
I kinda liked this cd a bit, but instead of growing a love for this cd, i grew
to just not care one way of the other about it.

#4 Iron Maiden Dance of Death
Im a huge Maiden fan, but this just bored me to death.

#3 Lost Horizon A flame to the ground beneath
Maybe its cause there last cd Awakening the world was so good, but this just doesnt compare.

#2 Dream Evil Evilized
This suffers the same fate as Lost Horizon im afraid, there last cd was just so awsome that this just bores me.

#1 The Gathering Souvenirs
I love this band, I really love this band, the first time i went to Milwaukee Metalfest was really to see this band, thats how big a fan of The Gathering i am. and i hate this cd. i hate this cd. To the point where i am in doubt as
to if ill buy there next.

Well there is my list. A couple other things ill add before i end this.

Funniest cd of the year Dave Brockie experience. Songs for the wrong.
Or Dave Attell's Skanks for the memories

Ill be looking forward to reading all of yours
in the next few weeks and months

later
EdwardTHead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:20 am    Post subject: Best/worst of 2003 list (since im too poor to buy anymore cd Reply with quote

I haven't even gotten 10 CDs that came out this year. Though I expect some more for Christmas. I agree the Maiden was pretty much a let down. There are a couple of songs, but as a whole not very good.

The new Golden Earring is quite good, and thanks to GZ I got Balance of Power which I really like. And though I don't much care for live albums the Edguy is pretty good as well. Though that was my first album by them.

The suprise for me though is the Evenescense, if I spelled that right, is quite good. The album is pretty consistant and I don't regret picking it up. However, I'm pretty sure that with all the fame they got this year the next album will suck.
FALCON

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:10 pm    Post subject: Best/worst of 2003 list (since im too poor to buy anymore cd Reply with quote

Pretty good list. Nice comments, I am still compiling and will release in January as there exist a few discs to pickup and many to crossreference as the yearly big dance of '03 head to head will take place soon...

I agree Evanescence is a pretty well done disc and deserves most recognition it has gotten. I also somewhat agree on the Kamelot, Lost Horizon, and Dream Evil, while I never really expected much from those camps.

Hey SGR34, judging by what you got there other's of late that maybe you haven't chased down yet...(since you got so much cash yet to spend on your personal christmas list)

Hatesphere, Extol, Carnal Forge, Norther, Scariot, Soul Embraced, Demon Hunter, Dew Scented, and Skyfire all with some pretty intense releases this year.
General Zod

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:14 pm    Post subject: Best/worst of 2003 list (since im too poor to buy anymore cd Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by SGR_34:
This year im gonna do my top 15 list, then my worst 5 list.

#15 - Cage - Darker Than Black - good stuff. As you said, not terribly original, but good stuff.

#14 - Masterplan - Masterplan - very average Power Metal. I can't believe Jorn chose generic Metal over Ark.

#13 - Old Mans Child - In Defiance of Existence - I'm not a huge Black Metal fan, so I'm probably not the best person to go by. That being said, while this disc is well executed and well produced, the songs do nothing for me.

#12 - Cradle of Filth - Damnation and a Day - out of all their discs, I like this one best. That being said, I don't much care for this disc either. Dani may be the worst vocalist I've ever heard.

#11 - The Black Dahlia Murder - Unhallowed - this disc did nothing for me.

#10 - Arch Enemy - Anthiems of Rebellion - I like it better than "Wages".

#9 - Soilwork - Figure Number Five - this band just keeps going backwards, in terms of quality. "A Predator's Portrait" was awesome. While this disc isn't bad, it sounds as if these were the songs that didn't make it onto "Natural Born Chaos".

#8 - Nevermore - Enemies of Reality - good songs, crap production.

#7 - Naglfar - Sheol - as I've said, Black Metal isn't my thing, but this isn't bad.

#6 - Vital Remains - Dechristianze - Much like Black Metal, Brutal Death isn't my thing, but this disc has some real strong moments. I'll probably break down and buy it at some point.

#5 - Children of Bodom - Hate Crew Deathroll - a real cool CD. Should make my Top 10.

#4 - King Diamond - Puppet Master - never been ahuge King fan, but I dig this CD.

#3 - Dimmu Borgir - Death Cult Armageddon - still undecided on this disc. A lot more straight forward than "PEM". I'm not sure yet if that's a good thing or not.

#2 - Opeth - Damnation - amazing CD.

#1 - Lullacry - Crucify my Heart - this disc did nothing for me. But given how high you've rated it and how high Tyranno has rated it, I'll have to revisit it.

#5 - Kamelot - Epica - a step backwards. No where near as good as the last two.

#4 - Iron Maiden - Dance of Death - snoozefest.

#3 - Lost Horizon - A flame to the Ground Beneath - Manowar clone, yuck.

#2 - Dream Evil - Evilized - some nice moments, but not very consistent.

#1 - The Gathering - Souvenirs - boring.

GZ
JosephC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: Best/worst of 2003 list (since im too poor to buy anymore cd Reply with quote

I agree that the Lullacry CD totally kicks ass. Best pop metal CD since hair metals peak in the 80s. I got that CD just hoping it would be alright and I still can't get over how good it is. Definitely will be in my top 10 of the year and maybe in the top 5.
SGR_32

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject: Best/worst of 2003 list (since im too poor to buy anymore cd Reply with quote

Hey Falcon dude
I have the Carnal Force, but to be honest after really getting into it for about 2 weeks, it just sorta dropped off the radar for me, the last month of the year all i listen to is new releases
(2003)so it will hit the cd player within a week and maybe it will rise for me again.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:59 pm    Post subject: Best/worst of 2003 list (since im too poor to buy anymore cd Reply with quote

So far is:

1. Star One – “Live On Earth”
2. Rondellus – “Sabbatum”
3. The Tangent – “The Music That Died Alone”
4. Tarot – “Suffer Our Pleasure”
5. Dream Evil – “Evilized”
6. Taraxacum – “Rainmaker”
7. Gordian Knot – “Emergent”
8. Masterplan – “Masterplan”
9. Blackmore’s Night – “Ghost Of A Rose”
10. Amorphis – “Far From The Sun”
11. Transatlantic – “Live In Europe”
12. Cryonic Temple – “Blood, Guts & Glory”
13. Deep Purple – “Bananas”
14. Alice Cooper – “The Eyes Of Alice Cooper”
15. The Flower Kings – “Meet The Flower Kings”
16. Derek Sherinian – “Black Utopia”
17. Gary Hughes – “Once And Future King – Part I”
18. Mercury Tide – “Why?”
19. Acid Rain – “Infinity Beyond”
20. Majesty – “Reign In Glory”
21. Blind Guardian – “Live”
22. Praying Mantis – “The Journey Goes On”
23. Helloween – “Rabbit Don’t Come Easy”
24. Gary Hughes – “Once And Future King – Part II”
25. Stormwind – “Rising Symphony”

Worst of the year:

OSI - "Office Of Strategic Influence"
Dream Theater - "Train Of Thought"

Not even purchased:

Iron Maiden - "Dance Of Death" [img]http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/cwm/cwm/puke.gif[/img]
SGR_32

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:57 am    Post subject: Best/worst of 2003 list (since im too poor to buy anymore cd Reply with quote

live albums dont count
[img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:27 am    Post subject: Best/worst of 2003 list (since im too poor to buy anymore cd Reply with quote

Yeah, live albums are cheating! [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Still working on my lists, though I've got mostly everything picked out, just need to whittle them down. And, I'm still waiting on/planning to get maybe ten more 2003 CD's by the end of the year.

Hardest list: which band slid the furthest downhill. [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: