HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best/worst of 2003 list (since im too poor to buy anymore cd
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:37 am    Post subject: Best/worst of 2003 list (since im too poor to buy anymore cd Reply with quote

SGR_34 - thanks man! It's weird, I'm into all these different kinds of metal, but outside of metal, I barely anything. So people who don't listen to metal all think my tastes are totally narrow-minded!
Zod - you listed many of the very things I like about Lullacry. It's total junk food metal, no doubt about that...but sometimes that's just what I crave. Usually music based almost entirely on hooks gets old fast, but I've been listening to this disc consistently since spring.
Also, I find myself in complete agreement about that God Dethroned disc...first half is good, second half is a snoozer. Actually I ended up trading it, but not before burning "Enemy Of The State".

As for my list right now...it's still in progress. I'm still expecting a dozen or so 2003 discs by the end of the year. (this time last year I was expecting a dozen or so 2002 discs by the end of the year, and I didn't get them 'til February, so I hope it's a little faster this year)

On top, right now, would be: Nevermore, Suidakra, Moonsorrow, Mors Principium Est, Carnal Forge, Lullacry, Battlelore, Devin Townsend Band, Grimfist, Evergrey...yeah, that's ten.

On the bottom...Grave Digger (I'm seeing lots of praise for this one around here, but I thought this was an out-of-nowhere quality drop for band that's otherwise been consistently very good for a while now), Morbid Angel, Living Colour, Moonspell, Soilwork, Strapping Young Lad...lots of relatively big disappointments this year, even among bands which have put out pretty good discs.
Just an average joe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 7:38 am    Post subject: Best/worst of 2003 list (since im too poor to buy anymore cd Reply with quote

Ok, time for my ton ten...well, it's really a top 8 since i just didnt have a ton of extra cash to buy CD's this year and i'm not going to include anything that i've downloaded and not purchased. Also, as a side note...not all is metal

In no particular order...

Lacrimosa-Echos. Goth, metal, pop...there is no really good way to describe this band other than messed up. Great stuff to listen to after getting home from a long night of drinking.

Lullacry-Crucify my Heart. I absolutely fricking love this disc. It gets a ton of play in my CD drive in my bedroom. Great background music for sex, and chicks who arent into metal enjoy it as well...granted thats not my reason for likeing the disc, i just felt like saying it. This disc makes me happy..no other way to say it, i put it in and after a few tracks i am happy happy

Poisonblack-Escapextacy. Out sentence's Sentenced which is sad since that is probably my favorite band to listen too. The singer from Charon has an awesome voice and i am looking forward to checking out more stuff from them as well. I hope that Poisonblaack continues and finds a singer to replace him.

The Haunted-One Kill Wonder... GodPuppet and D.O.A...all i need to say. Those 2 tracks alone kill me. The only problem i have with the album is that i get home WAY too quickly when listening to it as i tend to go a little (read: ALOT) over the speed limit when its in my car player.

Children of Bodom-Hatecrew Deathroll... OH YEAH!!! This is a band i discovered this year and they have blown me away...killer guitar, keys, drumming...messed up vocals...what more could i want in life?

Lamb of GOd-As the Palaces Burn. The guitar work on this CD is SICK, SICK I SAY...

Kovenant-S.E.T.I I havent heard a lot of talk about this band on the board...but i really like them. Granted music is all personal prefernces and perhaps all of you hate them...but then again i still really like WARRANT...SO SUE ME!!!!!

Johnny Cash- American IV-- This is my album of the year...and i'm not saying that just because he died...but the album has so much feeling in it. He's not the best singer, guitar player, etc. but there is so much emotion that comes out in his playing and singing that i just couldnt put this CD away! IF you like johhny cash at all...GET THIS F*CKING ALBUM
rockin500

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:48 am    Post subject: Best/worst of 2003 list (since im too poor to buy anymore cd Reply with quote

i only bought a few cd's this year that came out this year.

The only one i truly liked was Brainstorm's. That one was just great.

Lanfear wasnt bad either.

enemies of reality disappointed me to an extent and i havent listened to it in quite awhile.
live4metal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: Best/worst of 2003 list (since im too poor to buy anymore cd Reply with quote

I just wanted to say again how much that Lulla Cry sucks.How it's making peoples top ten lists is beyond me.Wait,one more time.That Lulla Cry sucks big sweaty donkey balls!!!!There,I feel better.
woosta

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Best/worst of 2003 list (since im too poor to buy anymore cd Reply with quote

I'll agree with the majority of others here that those who hate that Lullacry cd are sorta missing the point. Listening to that cd is the equivalent of watching Friday the 13th part 7. You know what's coming, you check your brain at the door, you listen, you enjoy. You DO NOT analyze, expect, critique or anticipate anything big or else you're setting yourself up for a big letdown. I think most folks here can just hear a song and say "good" or "bad" based on the song melodies and structure. If you can do that, then there is no reason whatsoever that Lullacry wouldn't be on anyone's top 10. That's not to decry anyone who dislikes it, it's just saying that perhaps expectations for what metal should "sound like" or "live up to" may be clouding the simple vision of a simple band.

Another post praised The Darkness and what they're doing. This is The Darkness only with talent, less annoying vocals, and suitable for metalheads. See?
live4metal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:20 pm    Post subject: Best/worst of 2003 list (since im too poor to buy anymore cd Reply with quote

It was a big let down.Having picked it up on the advice of Hard Boarders.Don't know what I was expecting,but it was'nt that.
I don't care if it's simplistic or technical,if it rocks it rocks.And I just did'nt get that from Lulla Cry.It sounded very amaturish,almost to the point of being a demo.
There's just wayyyy too much killer metal out there to give this the crown for best of.
But hey,I'm not ragging on anyone who likes it.I'm just stating my opinion on it.One man's trash is another man's treusure.
Evil Doctor X

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:27 pm    Post subject: Best/worst of 2003 list (since im too poor to buy anymore cd Reply with quote

Here is a list of all the cds I have that were released this year ranked in order...

Anthrax - "We've Come For You All" - I have been a big Anthrax fan since "Among" and I actually like John singing better than Joey, although "Among the Living" is still my all time fav. The problem has been that the last two (442 & Vol 8) have been pretty uneven to me but this one is just very solid (except for the waste that is Crash) from the vocals, riffs and especially Charlie's drumming.

Opeth - "Damnation" - I can't remember the last time I fell for a band like I did these guys this year. I finally picked up "Blackwater Park" after reading nothing but great thinks on this board and others and fell in love with it. I quickly picked up the rest of their stuff and "Damnation" when it came out. They blew me away live too.

Iron Maiden - "Dance Of Death" - I'm not sure this really deserves to be listed before Nevermore, but I guess I give Maiden some points since they are my all-time favorite. This is much better than "Brave New World" and probably the best since "7th Son...". Not that this is saying much. The production could (and should) have been better, but at least Harris didn't do it.

Nevermore - "Enemies Of Reality" - To me it is hard to top "Dead Heart..." but I really was looking forward to this one. I was a little let down with the production and Noumenon sounds like an intro that was allowed to go on too long, but otherwise this is a great album. Tomorrow Turned Into Yesterday is one of my favorite Nevermore ballads.

The Haunted - "One Kill Wonder" - Brutal and to the point. The way it should be.

Twelfth Gate - "Summoning" - They remind me of Nevermore a little bit and this is a pretty solid album.

Lamb Of God - "As The Palaces Burn" - Great guitar work but the vocals are a little too "screaming" for my taste. I saw them open for Anthrax and they were good and their singer was pretty cool too.

Jag Panzer - "Decade Of The Nail-Spiked Bat" - I really liked "Mechanized Warfare" and had higher hopes for this as it is a collection of their older songs rerecorded. Maybe it is the material or just me, but they just seem to be going through the motions here. I don't have any of the original stuff to compare it to though.

Metallica - "St. Anger" - I don't dislike this as much as I am disapointed in it. If it weren't for the (in)famous drum sound, this wouldn't be too bad. The dvd is a better listen, but I can't watch Rob act like a retard without laughing.

Greatest hits packages are usually something I get when I have a casual interest in a band, but not enough to invest in many of their albums. That is exactly the case with these three.
Slayer - "Soundtrack to the Apocolypse"
Lynyrd Skynyrd - "Thyrty"
Rob Zombie - "Past, Present
iwarrior

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:15 pm    Post subject: Best/worst of 2003 list (since im too poor to buy anymore cd Reply with quote

I don't know why people are urinating on Lullacry. I think they're awesome songwriters. They take 80's pop metal and infuse it with silky,sexy goth metal. I also love Tanja's somewhat bratty vox.
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject: Best/worst of 2003 list (since im too poor to buy anymore cd Reply with quote

BEST!

1. Blaze: As Live As It Gets
2. Iron Maiden: Dance Of Death
3. Deep Purple: Bananas
4. Y&T: UnEarthed Volume 1
5. Iced Earth: The Reckoning
6. Dream Theater: Train Of Thought
7. Queensryche: Tribe
8. Helloween: Rabbit Don't Come Easy
9. E-Force: Evil Force
10. Rob Rock: Eyes Of Eternity
11. Neal Morse: Testimony
12. Nightingale: Alive Again
13. Circle II Circle: Watching In Silence
14. While Heaven Wept: Of Empires Forlorn
15. Consortium Project III - Terra Incognita
16. Gamma Ray: Skeletons In The Closet
17. Antimatter: Lights Out
17. Dimmu Borgir: Death Cult Armageddon
18. The Crown: Posessed 13
19. Spock's Beard: Feel Euphoria
20. Kamelot: Epica
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: