HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"When Metal Ruled the World"
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mijarra

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: "When Metal Ruled the World" Reply with quote

Had a day off yesterday, was watching some TV in the afternoon. On VH-1 was a show called "When Metal Ruled the World". Maybe it's been aired before. It was a documentary of sorts about the '80s hard rock explosion.

Well, they really didn't talk about the main "metal" bands of the time, and they didn't talk about thrash at all. They mostly covered hard rock LA type bands. Despite my real or imagined conflicts with the title, it was a pretty cool show all in all. It went from the the early '80s when things were hopping in LA at the Whisky and places like that, and covered how bands from there went on to be successful, and ended with grunge displacing metal.

Two interesting and somewhat conflicting perpectives shared during interviews, and I'm paraphrasing:

George Lynch: Nothing killed our music but us. The excesses we enjoyed eventually became too much and we burned out.

Vince Neil: I'll never understand why people want to listen to despressing music (grunge). We all know our lives suck, but rock and roll is supposed to be a diversion from that.

If anything, this show really reminded me of the scene that went with the music. I remember the music fondly, but sometimes I forget the social backdrop that it was played upon in the '80s. It seems unlikely we will ever see anything like it again.

The show did leave me with one question in my mind: What happens on the Sunset Strip nowadays? What kind of bands are there? Please don't tell me they are all nu-rock.
nitro4040

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: "When Metal Ruled the World" Reply with quote

I hated most of the freaking LA bands back then. Only good thing were the speed metal groups coming out. Or a band would put out one album and break up, and each member would form their own band. Whatever happend to Rik Fox's Sin after Steeler split? LOL

Freaking Hollywood and their glam, hair spray crap. Screw em. I used to love listening to the Metal Shop on Kmet tho, Lucifer Larock, and all, they would play some killer stuff. Where I first heard Black N Blue, Grim Reaper, good Twisted Sister. I was glad when I moved back to the Bay and found the thrash movement beginning to explode.
live4metal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: "When Metal Ruled the World" Reply with quote

Ah man! I used to love staying up late for KMET'S Metal Shop.The first time I heard Armored Saint,Queensryche and a whole bunch of others.
Rikk Foxx's SIN.Damn you got a good memory.He was left behind by Ron Keel & Yngwie and never made it off the Sunset Strip.
The Strip is a dead scene now.Bar bands of all different styles play The Whiskey and Roxy.Gazzarri's is long gone.
I spent many a night on the Strip in the 80's and have fond memories of the music and the women.Good times,good times.
nitro4040

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: "When Metal Ruled the World" Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by live4Metal:
Ah man! I used to love staying up late for KMET'S Metal Shop.The first time I heard Armored Saint,Queensryche and a whole bunch of others.
Rikk Foxx's SIN.Damn you got a good memory.He was left behind by Ron Keel & Yngwie and never made it off the Sunset Strip.
The Strip is a dead scene now.Bar bands of all different styles play The Whiskey and Roxy.Gazzarri's is long gone.
I spent many a night on the Strip in the 80's and have fond memories of the music and the women.Good times,good times.

Yep, Armored Saint was on there, first heard Another False Alarm on there, and that was when Qryche rocked, lol, killer show that was. Still have some tapes around here.

Only places I got to see shows at were The Troubador, The Country Club, the Hollywood Palladium, Irvine Meadows Ampitheater, The Forum, Long Beach Arena. Mostly the bigger places.
iwarrior

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:49 am    Post subject: "When Metal Ruled the World" Reply with quote

I caught the tail-end of it.Sad that they think that hair bands were the end all be all of metal in the 80's and that all metal died after 1992. Typical clueless mainstream views of metal.
Jim McCormick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: "When Metal Ruled the World" Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by iwarrior:
I caught the tail-end of it.Sad that they think that hair bands were the end all be all of metal in the 80's and that all metal died after 1992. Typical clueless mainstream views of metal.

Though I'm no fan of most hair bands. They we're the mainstay of metal through the 80's. They we're the bands selling millions of records & selling out arenas & stadiums all over the world. Historically a very true fact. They also helped make more people aware of other styles of metal through expanding ones tastes as a backlash to the scene, but also hair bands helped make all metal more accepted by their huge exposure.
nitro4040

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: "When Metal Ruled the World" Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jim McCormick:
quote:
Originally posted by iwarrior:

Though I'm no fan of most hair bands. They we're the mainstay of metal through the 80's. They we're the bands selling millions of records & selling out arenas & stadiums all over the world. Historically a very true fact. They also helped make more people aware of other styles of metal through expanding ones tastes as a backlash to the scene, but also hair bands helped make all metal more accepted by their huge exposure.
Are you sure? I mean, I don't think any "hair band" even headlined and sold out an arena before 1985. That would be half the decade. Bands like Ozzy, Sabbath, Judas Priest, Scorpions, Iron Maiden, Dio, and Van Halen were the ones selling out multiple arena shows and these are not hair bands.

I don't ever recall seeing Dokken or Warrant or Great White headline a big show. Maybe Motley Crue. What other bands are we talking about? Poisen? Maybe they sold out arena in the late 80's. Who else?
JosephC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: "When Metal Ruled the World" Reply with quote

The hair metal scene kind of fully hit stride in probably 1986/1987.

Motley Crue sold out arenas.
Poison sold out arenas.
Ratt sold out arenas.
Cinderella sold out arenas.
Warrant sold out arenas.
Def Leppard sold out arenas.
Bon Jovi sold out arenas, even if you don't consider them "metal," every metal magazine covered them at the time.

And then of course their are a bunch more older and established artists that wandered into "hair metal" territory and sold out arenas. Put the likes of Whitesnake, Alice Cooper and the Scorpions on that list. If you didn't like Def Leppard on the above list then you can put them in this list.
live4metal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: "When Metal Ruled the World" Reply with quote

That's about the most on the money post you've ever made Joe C.Well done.I completly agree with your sumation of the "Hair Band" era.
I'd like to add too that I don't think that era of Hair Metal garnered any kind of new fan base for True Metal.Quite the opposite.It served to drive metal back into the underground where it emerged from.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: