HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"When Metal Ruled the World"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nitro4040

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: "When Metal Ruled the World" Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jim McCormick:
quote:
Originally posted by Mijarra:
I don't understand some of this backlash over lighter bands. I liked them, and I liked heavier bands. I liked Poison and I liked Metallica...I liked Warrant and I liked Iron Maiden. Can't one like both?

In my high school there was no real metal crowd, so I guess I was like a closet metalhead. I wasn't governed by the same rules of coolness that dictated that people weren't allowed to like Poison if they were "real metalheads".

I whole heatedly agree Mijarra. Though "Hair Bands" are not my cup of tea, nor never really have been, I never hated them & some I even liked. To be honest with my opinion, I think many people especially younger metal fans don't like "Hair Bands" because it's not considered cool, a peer pressure thing.

Now to the person above Mijarra. The term "Hair Bands" did come from the 80's & trying to change that fact will not change which bands we're speaking of. Does it really matter that much? Do you really dislike them that much & why?

Show me an article that describes these as "hair bands" and I'll show you a MTV journalist.

BTW, I grew up in the 80's. I grew up on metal. I went to the shows. I am probably older then most here. These bands did nothing till the late 80's. That is a fact. To lump 80's metal into "hair bands" is pathectic. These "hair bands" were not even playing metal by the time they were headlining. It was pop music. There is no denying that.
Mijarra

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: "When Metal Ruled the World" Reply with quote

I sense I may be about to go wildy off topic here, so please bear with me if I do.

This thread is illustrating perfectly why we, as people knowledgable about hard rock and metal, should never use the words "hair band". Nor the terms "cock rock", "butt rock", or anything similar. I agree with Nitro that in the '80s nobody called anybody a "hair band". Who were "hair bands" anyway? Bands like KISS and Aerosmith had big hair in the '80s, were they hair bands? Duran Duran wore makeup and had big hair. Are they a hair band? My point is that people shouldn't label a band based on how they look. There were good musicians in those bands too, but nobody ever calls them "hard rock bands with great freakin guitar players". Nope, just "hair band".

I'm sorry, this is just a real sticking point with me. It's one thing when society at large uses ridiculous terminology to label things they don't understand, but I don't think we should do it here. We should know better. I know people here don't like some '80s bands, and I trust that it's with good reason, but I don't think that's true of regular people. I believe very strongly that people have been swayed by peer pressure to hate these bands because they aren't cool or whatever. Beavis and Butthead told us Winger was gay, so it must be true. I don't get it. People today know Jimi Hendrix kicked a$$, why is it wrong to think George Lynch or Vito Bratta did?

I guess I'll never get it and I guess I'm in the minority. I'll never get why those bands have become an example of how silly things were back then, rather than being remembered for some damn good music. I've been into metal and hard rock since I was 11 years old, and I've been playing guitar almost as long. I will always remember those bands for the guitar playing and great sounds, not for their hair. I think of it as one of the best times in music history,and my life, and I don't give a rats a$$ who wants to make fun of it. If someone can listen to Vito Bratta, George Lynch, Reb Beach, Warren DeMartini, or even (and don't get me started on this) C.C.DeVille play and tell me they care more about their look than their music, then they aren't hearing what I am.
nitro4040

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: "When Metal Ruled the World" Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mijarra:
I sense I may be about to go wildy off topic here, so please bear with me if I do.

This thread is illustrating perfectly why we, as people knowledgable about hard rock and metal, should never use the words "hair band". Nor the terms "cock rock", "butt rock", or anything similar. I agree with Nitro that in the '80s nobody called anybody a "hair band". Who were "hair bands" anyway? Bands like KISS and Aerosmith had big hair in the '80s, were they hair bands? Duran Duran wore makeup and had big hair. Are they a hair band? My point is that people shouldn't label a band based on how they look. There were good musicians in those bands too, but nobody ever calls them "hard rock bands with great freakin guitar players". Nope, just "hair band".

I'm sorry, this is just a real sticking point with me. It's one thing when society at large uses ridiculous terminology to label things they don't understand, but I don't think we should do it here. We should know better. I know people here don't like some '80s bands, and I trust that it's with good reason, but I don't think that's true of regular people. I believe very strongly that people have been swayed by peer pressure to hate these bands because they aren't cool or whatever. Beavis and Butthead told us Winger was gay, so it must be true. I don't get it. People today know Jimi Hendrix kicked a$$, why is it wrong to think George Lynch or Vito Bratta did?

I guess I'll never get it and I guess I'm in the minority. I'll never get why those bands have become an example of how silly things were back then, rather than being remembered for some damn good music. I've been into metal and hard rock since I was 11 years old, and I've been playing guitar almost as long. I will always remember those bands for the guitar playing and great sounds, not for their hair. I think of it as one of the best times in music history,and my life, and I don't give a rats a$$ who wants to make fun of it. If someone can listen to Vito Bratta, George Lynch, Reb Beach, Warren DeMartini, or even (and don't get me started on this) C.C.DeVille play and tell me they care more about their look than their music, then they aren't hearing what I am.

Someone gets what I was saying. ty. (except maybe that cc deville comment lol, j/k).
Desslar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:31 am    Post subject: "When Metal Ruled the World" Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by iwarrior:
Sad that they think that hair bands were the end all be all of metal in the 80's and that all metal died after 1992. Typical clueless mainstream views of metal.

Clueless? The most visible and biggest selling bands of the metal era weren't hardcore thrash bands. Compare total metal album sales from 1984-1992 to 1993-present and there should be a substantial drop-off.

quote:
This thread is illustrating perfectly why we, as people knowledgable about hard rock and metal, should never use the words "hair band".
I agree completely. Anyone who would use that term is an MTV poser.
iwarrior

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:02 am    Post subject: "When Metal Ruled the World" Reply with quote

quote:
Clueless? The most visible and biggest selling bands of the metal era weren't hardcore thrash bands. Compare total metal album sales from 1984-1992 to 1993-present and there should be a substantial drop-off.
Sales do not equal quality. There was much more going on in metal during the 80's than LA rawk.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: