HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need opinions on these box set!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JosephC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Need opinions on these box set!!! Reply with quote

Hey guys. I got frickin' slammed at work over the last few days. Basically I just finished up putting in almost 40 hours of overtime this week, and will likely put in about another 10-15 next week. Needless to say, I have a big paycheck coming up in the near future.

And I thought what better way to spend the extra cash than the get a box set or two?

[b]#1 = Motorhead/Stone Deaf Forever![/b]
I have to admit that I like Motorhead but am not the biggest fan. I don't have a single one of their CDs. Generally when I've listened to their albums in the past, I've generally liked a few songs but have never been especially "struck" by a whole album. Needless to say, I thought maybe picking up this box set would be a good introduction into actually purchasing some Motorhead material. So if you have this box, I'd love to hear about it, especially:
1) How's the packaging, liner notes, etc? Do they have a full discography in the booklet, are lyrics included, etc?
2) How's the track selection? Does it represent what you feel is the best of Motorhead?
3) Any various thoughts, I'd love to hear them....

[b]#2 = Thin Lizzy/Vagabonds, Kings, Warriors, Angels[/b]
I'm more into Thin Lizzy than Motorhead. I have a couple Thin Lizzy CDs and like them, and will be the first to admit I should have more (if not all) Thin Lizzy CDs in my collection. So basically I am looking to pick up this box set as an intro to the Thin Lizzy material I am not all that familiar with. So, once again, I have the same set of questions that I did with the Motorhead box:
1) How's the packaging, liner notes, etc? Do they have a full discography in the booklet, are lyrics included, etc?
2) How's the track selection? Does it represent what you feel is the best of Thin Lizzy?
3) Any various thoughts, I'd love to hear them....

[b]#3 = Iron Maiden/Eddie's Archive[/b]
Well I have basically all of Maiden's stuff except for this, so I don't need any info regarding how well this represents Iron Maiden's catalog. Originally I was going to pass simply because of the principle...Steve Harris' soaking the Maiden die-hards irritates me at times. But now I might consider it. Anyway...if you have any comments on the discs or the packaging I would love to hear it.

[b]#4 = Motley Crue/Music To Crash Your Car To Vol 1[/b]
Like with Maiden I am a Motley Crue fan so I don't need the background info. But if you have any comments about the packaging and booklet/liner notes, I would love to hear them.

Thanks guys! Hopefully a few of you have these set(s). I would love to hear what you think of them.
Tope

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Need opinions on these box set!!! Reply with quote

Hey JosephC

First off I don't have the motorhead boxset nor have I ever seen it. I just figured since you werent a huge Motorhead fan buying a boxset would be "overkill". If you want a good overview of their career you should pick up the double CD Motorhead ... The Best Of.

The liner notes inside the CD are pretty good, not extensive or anything but they give you a good idea about the band. The set includes pretty much all their major "hits" and then some. It even includes their version of Louie Louie (worth the price of the CD alone).

Here's the link to check it out .. [url=http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=UIDMISS7040215231031 3114&sql=A4fkxu3qkanok]AMG Motorhead Best of[/url]

I can't tell you about the other boxsets either because I don;t own them. The Motley Crue boxset is a waste (IMO) because it doesnt cover anything past the Girls Girls Girls album but seem to have every alt version available for the Too Fast For Love album. Just looking at the track listing I wouldnt even think about buying it. [url=http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=UIDMISS7040215231031 3114&sql=Act08b5x4zsq4]Motley Crue Boxset[/url]

Anyways I hope some of this might help.

Take Care
Tope
Evil Doctor X

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Need opinions on these box set!!! Reply with quote

The Maiden box is good if you can get it for a decent price. It is essentially 3 double cds. It is nice to have most of their b-sides in one place instead of on a bunch of separate discs or singles. THere are some other songs that should have been included with it (and there is time for a couple) but it is still good. The Beast over Hammersmith show is great. My biggest complaint is the BBC archive set. The stuff with Dianno is good, but the Bruce part just duplicates the Beast show and has a few songs from the 7th Son Donington show. Overall, the live stuf is too repetitive. How many versions of Iron Maiden and Number of the Beast can they put in one collection? Bottom line is if you can get it cheap, go for it.
live4metal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Need opinions on these box set!!! Reply with quote

Alright brother,here's the skinny.You definitly need to get the Motorhead Box Set.
The packaging is killer and so is the price.You should be able to get it for $50.00 or so.
It contains 5 CDS covering every Motorhead album.All trax are remastered and sound great.It contains a great book with discography and band story with some great photos.It also contains a mini poster.
Discs 1-4 are in jewel cases with disc 5 in a cardboard sleeve.It's a Live Best of CD.
The only thing I don't like about it is that they use a demo version of Killed By Death and Deaf Forever.Good versions but the originals are classics and should've been included.
But don't let that stop you,I guarantee you'll dig it.
The Motley Crue I'm not so fond of.I found it used for $40.00 so I had to get it.This is a real rip off from Nikki.He's basically charging $60.00 for the original Leather Records version of Too Fast For Love.Everything else can be found on the Crucial Crue releases.
Is it worth it? Not unless you're a die hard fan or don't already have the first 4 Crue records, which is basically all this is.
I don't have the Thin Lizzy set but I'd grab that B4 the Crue unless you can't live without the Original Too Fast For Love.
If you've got the Castle re-issues of the Maiden albums then you've already got all those B-Sides.I refuse to buy it at the price it goes for.It's not worth that much.
If you're a ZZ Top fan they have a great box set out called Chrome Smoke & BBQ.Completly remastered with booklet.Check that one out too. Enjoy !
Jake

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Need opinions on these box set!!! Reply with quote

My advice on Motorhead is to skip the box set and just buy the four biggest albums with Fast Eddie Clark[which is when the band was at it's best]- Overkill, Bomber, Ace of Spades[third best album ever in my opinion], and Iron Fist. After listening to these albums you'll probably want more and you can look on from there. Plus you only have to pay like 6O dollars for all four of these, so you aren't paying much more for the full versions of these quality albums.

Same deal with Thin Lizzy. Skip the box set and get the four Brian Robertson albums- Fighting[9th best album ever], Jailbreak, Johnny the Fox, and Bad Reputation. All four of these are absolutely killer and represent the best of the Thin Lizzy catalog. Although Thin Lizzy never released a bad album, these are the creme of the crop.

That's my advice.
Evil Doctor X

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Need opinions on these box set!!! Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jake:
My advice on Motorhead is to skip the box set and just buy the four biggest albums with Fast Eddie Clark[which is when the band was at it's best]- Overkill, Bomber, Ace of Spades[third best album ever in my opinion], and Iron Fist. After listening to these albums you'll probably want more and you can look on from there. Plus you only have to pay like 6O dollars for all four of these, so you aren't paying much more for the full versions of these quality albums.

If you are looking for these 4 albums check this out:
[url=http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=3397926&cart=177196 631&style=music]http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=3397926& cart=177196631&style=music[/url]

All four for $35, you can't beat that.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:24 am    Post subject: Need opinions on these box set!!! Reply with quote

Interesting thread. I pretty much against boxsets. I believe that if I like a band, I should follow their albums to the best extend of their quality and my possibilities.

As for Motorhead and Thin Lizzy I have all their albums, bands that never issued a bad album, some weaker than others but never a bad one. Iron Maiden was my first metal band and I was devoted to them religiously until 1988, after that the band declined a lot and today I'm not longer interested in their new material. So I skip the Blaze albums and now "Dance Of Death".

I will recommend a "neophyte" either the best possible album of the band (or the most representative) or a simple "Best of" (like it happened to me with Alice Cooper) and then if the band grew on me, I will go for their albums.

In any case, I hope you enjoy the boxsets and they make you eager to get more albums.
iwarrior

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:38 am    Post subject: Need opinions on these box set!!! Reply with quote

quote:
#3 = Iron Maiden/Eddie's Archive
Well I have basically all of Maiden's stuff except for this, so I don't need any info regarding how well this represents Iron Maiden's catalog. Originally I was going to pass simply because of the principle...Steve Harris' soaking the Maiden die-hards irritates me at times. But now I might consider it. Anyway...if you have any comments on the discs or the packaging I would love to hear it.

I got this for X-Mas in 2002,and was pretty happy with it. However,the b-sides portion of the set is not exhaustive and only includes highlights. However,all of the Blaze-era b-sides appear to be there. The packaging is gorgeous. If you're a big Maiden fan,it's worth getting.
Paul G

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject: Need opinions on these box set!!! Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by iwarrior:
quote:
#3 = Iron Maiden/Eddie's Archive

I got this for X-Mas in 2002,and was pretty happy with it. However,the b-sides portion of the set is not exhaustive and only includes highlights. However,all of the Blaze-era b-sides appear to be there. The packaging is gorgeous. If you're a big Maiden fan,it's worth getting.
the only studio track b-side that's missing is their cover of Thin Lizzy's Massacre, everything else is there to my knowledge except the live b-sides.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: