HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Megadeth
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dillinger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Megadeth Reply with quote

Been so bored lately posting on this board about bands other than Bralalalala has been interesting the last few days..lol
I think "Countdown to extinction" and "Killing is My Businees.." are this band's best albums. They have a lot of crap records as well. What do you think? Will they ever make anything decent again? I was suprised when they came out with "Countdown.."because they sucked for quite awhile before they made that one. Bands don't usually manage comeback albums after sucking, but it has happened occasionally.
Mijarra

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject: Megadeth Reply with quote

I don't think we will ever see a fully functional Megadeth again, regardless of Mustaine's health. In their prime, they were a force to be reckoned with, but in their waning hours they were pretty feeble. I saw them twice...they were a very powerful live band and put on a great show. Those were the days. Their best lineup was Mustaine, Ellefson, Menza, and Friedman and after that was disrupted they weren't the same. I think they are best left to history, I just don't see how they could reclaim the glory years.

I guess my favorite albums are Rust in Peace and Youthanasia.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject: Megadeth Reply with quote

Inteersting choices Dill. I enjoy their debut a lot, more than "Peace Sells". But my faves are "Rust In Peace" and "Countdown To Extinction".

I believe the band had a lot of potential to take melodic thrash to high places. Sadly Mustaine desire to be as "great" as Metallica in the eyes of the world precluded him to notice that his band, maybe not as popular and not selling as much albums was WAY more better than Metallica.

Friedman and Menza were his best cards ever, losing them make the band going slowly down, and Mustaine lack of character to avoid the bad songs in "Cryptic Writings" plus the release of "Risk" made the band lose its touch.

Even if Mustaine bring back Chris Poland (an excellent player), without Ellefson I fell the band is not the same and Mustaine will not have the power to make another PSBWB or another CTE. [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img]
Jake

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:25 am    Post subject: Megadeth Reply with quote

I have three favorites- So Far So Good So What, Rust in Peace, and Youthanasia. Usually I'd say So Far was my favorite, but somtimes I switch it up cause So Far has my favorite songs but it also has some songs that I don't care for as much [Anarchy in the UK and 5O2 rest are awesome]. Rust in Peace is for the most part excellent and has my favorite solo of all time- Tornado of Souls. Youthanasia just has these great riffs and hooks. You wouldn't think that Megadeth doing hooks would be good, but there are some things on that album that fit the descripition and are excellent such as Addicted to Chaos and I Thought I knew it All.

Many of the other albums are also good. Killing was a great album and I especially enjoyed Looking Down the Cross, Chosen Ones, and the title track.

Peace Sells was good, but I do not like it as much as others. Same deal with Countdown.

An interesting thing is that Metallica came up with that 9Os sound that Megadeth plays, yet Metallica themselves did not do such a great job at it. Megadeth plays it excellently. Youthanasia is one of the greatest albums of all time while the black album is just...well I like some of it, but it is way overrated. If someone likes the black album so much they should get Youthanasia. Same style only with better playing, more consistent quality and songwriting, and more interesting lyrics.

My basic ratings of Megadeth albums [out of 1O]

Killing is My Business 8.5
Peace Sells 8
So Far 9.5
Rust in Peace 9.5
Countdown 8
Youthanasia 9.5
Hidden Treasures 7.5
Cryptic Writings 8
Risk 4
World Needs 5

It may seem like I'm too much of a fanboy since I gave no bad rating to anything until Risk, but seriously I believe all those albums to be very good. This band was far superior to most thrash bands if not all of them. And even their post thrash days were quite good.

I've seen them 3 times. Once was for the Cryptic Writings tour [it was also my first metal show]. it was awesome and I compare all other shows against it. Marty Friedman did a fantastic solo variation on a death march and the band was just kicking it. Unfortunately, at the time, I was not familiar with all of the band's catalog. The second time was them opening for the Crue in 2OOO. It was good, with surprisingly good sound quality, but they played too much new stuff. Highlight was them playing an extended jam session into Shewolf [which they also did on the tour I saw next]. Final time I saw them was on their last tour. They were also awesome on that tour. I don't remember what song it was [probably She Wolf again] but this time Mustaine and Pitrelli were playing dual lead guitar harmonies off of one another and it just looked and sounded so awesome. I loved that. Plus they played two of the better songs from my favorite album- In My Darkest Hour and Hook in Mouth. Incredible! Then they played Tornado of Souls! Needless to say I was in heaven. They even added in Hangar 18, Holy Wars, Mechanix, the first 4 songs of Peace Sells, and some other tunes I dug. I certainly appreciated it.

I would like a new album, but since I don't expect it to be particularly good, I just would like Dave to get out on tour again, cause some of my best shows have been Megadeth concerts.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:12 am    Post subject: Megadeth Reply with quote

Dave Mustaine's teeth are whiter than white.
Ug

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:46 am    Post subject: Megadeth Reply with quote

In the near future, there will be a reunion where everything member will say how good it is to be back together. Then they will release a best of and a new album.
totembird

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Megadeth Reply with quote

Favorite Megadeth Album in this order:

Peace Sells But Whos Buying
Countdown to Extinction
Rust In Peace
Hidden Treasures
Youthanasia
Killing is My buisiness
So Far So Good so What
World Needs a Hero
Crypitc
Risk

Line up with Chris/Gar...and Friedman/Menza sound like 2 complete separate bands with the same vocals Very different style....as different as Chris Poland and Marty Friedman's guitar playing alone. Too bad Dave had a fallout with Ellefson, now there would be no megadeth.. I did like the following line up with Degrasso/Pitrelli..but to me Pitelli was always Savatage.

But after all this..I'm such a Marty Friedman fan..cant wait to go see his guitar seminar 4/7...!
Jayrod

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: Megadeth Reply with quote

Rust In Peace would get my vote. I joke amongst my friends that if Megadeth kicked the drugs after that CD, then they need to bring the drugs back. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I would say the Friedman/Menza era was the best because Rust through Youth would probably be my favorite section of their catalog. I heard/read so many bad things about Risk that I never tried it for myself. I did pick up The World Needs A Hero and that was okay but it doesn't see much playing time.
Ug

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:09 am    Post subject: Megadeth Reply with quote

It was one of my favourite bands, used to love Mustaines snarls, until he starting to "sing" in the later years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: