HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just got the Glorious Burden
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Just got the Glorious Burden Reply with quote

No, this is not my official review. I'm partway through the album[I'm at Hollow Man]. I don't know why I liked this album when I first downloaded it. This album kindof sucks. Maybe when I get to Gettysburg it will change my opinion of it. I appreciate that Jon likes history[I do too] and I think it's great that he is out there trying to get kids to read it, but that doesn't make this music any better. The music is so typical chugga, chugga, chugga stuff and Ripper's vocals are just kindof weak.

I guess I'll have to give this some more listens before a final rating, but this is the impression I've gotten so far. Oh well, at least it isn't as weird as that Uli cd I just got[Prologue to Symphonic Legends].

I think right now I may spend more time listening to this unsigned band called WithinAnotheR. I'm not trying to kiss anyone's ass here, but after only a little listening this sounds like a seriously quality 8Os style progmetal recording- think Crimson Glory and Fates Warning. I think I like some of this stuff more than Awaken the Guardian- blasphemy! hahaha.
WastedRockRanger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Just got the Glorious Burden Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jake:

I think right now I may spend more time listening to this unsigned band called WithinAnotheR.

I'd like to give them a listen, being I'm a big Fate's Warning fan. Any way to get any of their material for a listen?

Thanks [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Just got the Glorious Burden Reply with quote

I went in with pretty low expectations, but I was mostly pleased. I didn't like "Hollow Man", "Attila", or either version of "When The Eagle Cries", and "Gettysburg" is about ten minutes too long and features some of the worst rock symphonics I've ever heard in "The Devil To Pay" (they get better later on though).

Other than that though, damn good disc, about as good as Horror Show.
iwarrior

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Just got the Glorious Burden Reply with quote

It was good,but I wasn't overly impressed with it.
Jake

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Just got the Glorious Burden Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by WastedRockRanger:
quote:
Originally posted by Jake:

I think right now I may spend more time listening to this unsigned band called WithinAnotheR.

I'd like to give them a listen, being I'm a big Fate's Warning fan. Any way to get any of their material for a listen?

Thanks [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

See if these work-

Ok the links didn't work. I'll try to find some that do. I'm busy right now though, so just give me a little while and I'll try to get back to it. This band is worth promoting in my opinion. I hope he/they get somewhere[and in case you are wondering, this is not my band or a friend of mine's band].
Swidman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Just got the Glorious Burden Reply with quote

This was the first Iced Earth cd I have bought. I've been listening to it for the better part of two weeks. I think Ripper is pretty good, but not great, on most songs. Declaration Day is a great song, as is Valley Forge. But I am finding myself skipping songs to get to the Gettysburg music. I think the prog-metal direction of those songs are cool, but I think they are trying to sound too much like Savatage on the Wake cd.

BTW, does the recording sound like Rippers vocals are not up front enough? It sounds like the music is covering his vocals on most songs.

Overall, I'd give this a 7.5-8.0 rating. Nice effort.
General Zod

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Just got the Glorious Burden Reply with quote

Amazing CD. I'd be shocked if it wasn't my #1 CD of 2004. "Gettysburg" ranks up there with any peice of music I've ever heard. If Barlow had sung on this CD, I might have had it as one of my Top 5 of all-time.

GZ
WastedRockRanger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:15 am    Post subject: Just got the Glorious Burden Reply with quote

Thanks, Jake. Just whenever you get a chance. I'm always up for checking out new bands.
EdwardTHead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject: Just got the Glorious Burden Reply with quote

Wow, this is one of the best albums I have bought in years. The only song I don't really like is Greenface, everything else I like. I have put this CD in at least once or twice a week since I got it. I am waiting for a CD that can replace this as the best of 04. If this is the may motern metal is going I'm all for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: