HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recently Turned to the Dark Side
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Free For All Forum
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JGunnz1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:34 pm    Post subject: Recently Turned to the Dark Side Reply with quote

Pretty much all the bands everyone said, but everyone forgot to mention Angel Dust. I guarantee that you will like them start with Enlighten the darkness and then go Of human bondage.
Raider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 2:00 pm    Post subject: Recently Turned to the Dark Side Reply with quote

Two awesome melodic metal bands: Blind Guardian and Running Wild.

Blind Guardian just came out with a new one which I still haven't received yet (hopefully get it this week), so I don't know what to say about it, but basically everything by them is good. _Imaginations from the Other Side_ might be an especially good starting place, but you really can't go wrong.

Running Wild has been around forever but get little attention. My personal favorite by them is _Pile of Skulls_, closely followed by _Death or Glory_, but as with Blind Guardian, I haven't heard anything bad by them (although the reviews of their newest album have not been positive, it's called _The Brotherhood_ and even though I haven't heard it the negative reviews probably mean it's not a good place to start with this band)
HeatherMetal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 4:10 pm    Post subject: Recently Turned to the Dark Side Reply with quote

Hola -

I second the Iced Earth motion. I have a good friend who is a total 80s hair band metal chick and I'm turning her onto Iced Earth.

Also check out Angel Dust.
FALCON

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 6:39 pm    Post subject: Recently Turned to the Dark Side Reply with quote

Nevermore, Iced Earth, Angra, Antithesis, Balance of Power, Symphony X, Testament, Corrosion of Conformity, Pain of Salvation, Evergrey, Blind Guardian, Virgin Steele, Tourniquet, In Flames, Soilwork, Opeth, Lefay, Jag Panzer, and Brainstorm ---that would get me in the ballpark of what I think is totally heavy and stellar...
Knightblade

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 12:41 am    Post subject: Recently Turned to the Dark Side Reply with quote

hmmm.. interesting topic.. i wholeheartedly welcome you to the world of metal, dark or otherwise.. as for my personal suggestions of where to go
Blind guardian and iced earth have already been mentioned... and amorphis and black sabbath are two of the finest bands ever but you already know about them. as is type o and AIC virgin steele is some good stuff too as is nevermore. but instead of recapping i'll add my own personal suggestions

fear factory(pre obsolete): excellent industrial metal out of demanufacture(second album) and some totally awesome deathesque stylings out of their first album soul of a new machine. burtons vocal can range from gutteral to angelic and is something to check out

GZR both the burton era and with eh new singer clark brown is utterly awesome.. then again its from geezer butler(bassist from black sabbath) which should give it all the credentials it needs very heavy and yet with a sense of melody lost on a lot of bands

Pantera come on someone had to say it.. pantera is probably one of the best metal bands out of america.. the range and dynamics of band are incredible.. anything from a smoother blues metal (immortally insane, electric funeral cover) to just in your face (walk, mouth for war, becoming) definately check em out

sentenced a good classic metal style almost megadethesque band and worth the time and attention to check out.

ozzy osbourne this ones a no brainer. ozzy is one of my heroes, though he was much better with sabbath(my opinion save the arguement for another topic) check out his stuff with zakk wylde mostly(and check out zakk wyldes black label society) though stuff like mr crowley and suicide solution are some good songs with rhandy

bah opeth, corrosion of conformity, and jag panzer have already been mentioned but i'll bring them up again. hmm and check out the band soil... they borderline new metal but have no hip hop influence at all and are some cool guys. well since i cant think of descriptions here are my final suggestions...
theatre of tragedy, morbid angel(oh yes morbid angel), moonspell, the nixons, old sepultura(pre against), jerry cantrell solo, vision of disorder, UPO, Cathedral, Fates warning, Coal chamber(both albums rule but are very different styles),NIN(not metal but that guy is a genius), the gathering, godsmack, dust for life, hate theory, monster magnet, snake river conspiracy, emperor, samael, nocturnal rites.. and many many more.. there is so much heavy and so many aspects of it to explore.. good luck.. and welcome aboard
Jake

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 7:43 pm    Post subject: Recently Turned to the Dark Side Reply with quote

If you are looking for the most classic heavy metal bands, then you should try Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. These two are the basis by which all other classic-styled heavy metal bands are to be compared. The other suggestions here are also quite valid, but most of them were influenced by these two bands or Sabbath(which I did not recommend because you already know them).

To try Judas Priest listen to: Sad Wings of Destiny, Stained Class, Hell Bent for Leather, British Steel, Screaming for Vengence, or Defenders of the Faith. All of these are undeniably influencial to the metal scene and are masterpieces in the their own right.

If you want to try Iron Maiden, then listen to: Iron Maiden, Killers, Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, or Seventh Son of the Seventh Son. I personally prefer Iron Maiden's self titled album and killers to the rest, but the most famous(and possibly most influencial) Iron Maiden line up begins on Number of the Beast.

After you have listened to these bands, then you can go with everyone elses recommendations. But you must notice a pattern of Iron Maiden recommendations, and Judas Priest has been recommended a few times as well. They are praised for good reason.
Templar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 10:10 pm    Post subject: Recently Turned to the Dark Side Reply with quote

Some great recommendations here, but unless I just missed it, I didn't see one classic mentioned yet...

Helloween. [i]Keeper of the Seven Keys, Part I[/i].
violentbreed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 6:51 pm    Post subject: Recently Turned to the Dark Side Reply with quote

Welcome sister!

There is so much for you to experience with metal music, no list of great bands could be exhaustive.
There is something for everyone "here" so keep open ears and heart. You will be duly rewarded.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nuchols

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 10:59 am    Post subject: Recently Turned to the Dark Side Reply with quote

Believe it or not, the pop stuff is OK, as long as you don't take it too seriously. But metal is for the people who like a little mmph!!! in their jam. A sign of musical maturity is the ability to appreciate every kind of music (rap not included since it is not music) for what is can offer. Metal offers much more. The other posters have mentioned many great bands and subgenres of metal. I'm partial to Dream Theater and Rush. Also Queensryche and Fate's Warning, but as I said, these other bands are also great. Checkout the unsigned bands on mp3.com too, such as ezra stone, Tangent Machine, and lots of others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Free For All Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: