HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Once-tolerable movies, dropping like flies...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Free For All Forum
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2002 7:22 pm    Post subject: Once-tolerable movies, dropping like flies... Reply with quote

I caught about half of _The Peacemaker_ on TV the other night, and man, I was blown away by how unbelievably pedestrian and recycled it was. It was like every shot, every plot twist, every moment was cannibalized from other movies, just a pure assembly-line movie. Thing is, when I saw it in theaters when it came out, I thought it wasn't half bad. (total points of inspiration - the actual disarmament of the bomb [at least it wasn't the ol' red-wire-blue-wire bit], and the sniper part with the kid)

Same thing happened when I re-watched _Rising Sun_ recently. I liked it when it first came out. Saw it again, and the unbelievably bad dialogue made my jaw drop. Incredible.
Jake

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2002 11:44 pm    Post subject: Once-tolerable movies, dropping like flies... Reply with quote

yeah I have that problem sometimes especially since I like action movies. I went back to see Robocop a few months ago and it was awful. I wondered how I could have ever thought the movie was any good.

I know some movies I've liked in the past have lost their value because they no longer rank up in terms of their original purpose to me. For instance I think I liked Rising Sun when I was in my mid teens because it shows a fair amount of skin in some scenes, but now that I'm in my early twenties I don't see it as any big deal. Likewise, movies such as Sliver have also lost some value. Action movies that I enjoyed only because they were incredibly violent also have lost their value.
THE_HELLION

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2002 7:04 am    Post subject: Once-tolerable movies, dropping like flies... Reply with quote

WWhen I was a kid I loved going to the movies and watching Billy Jack..Now I can hardly stand to watch it
Butchman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2002 8:03 pm    Post subject: Once-tolerable movies, dropping like flies... Reply with quote

Night of the Comet
Trick or Treat
Breaking all the rules
Summer School
House

Just to name a few of the movies I thought were cool when I was younger. Man, what was I thinking?
Desslar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 12:29 am    Post subject: Once-tolerable movies, dropping like flies... Reply with quote

Skin, mindless violence, and especially Robocop still rule. Rising Sun, however, was always pretty lame. Might be Connery's worst. Then again there was Medicine Man....
Jake

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 12:59 am    Post subject: Once-tolerable movies, dropping like flies... Reply with quote

oh I still like mindless violence and skin, but there are definitely movies that I liked more when I was younger because they were the first skin or violence movies that I saw. They don't seem nearly as special now. Robocop doesn't seem as great as it used to be but I may have just been having a bad night when I saw it.
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 1:53 am    Post subject: Once-tolerable movies, dropping like flies... Reply with quote

_RoboCop_ is still cool in my book. As for Connery's worst hour - hard to say if this, or _Highlander 2: The Quickening_ (which I just saw last night), is more worthy of that honor.
Ungodly

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 8:27 am    Post subject: Once-tolerable movies, dropping like flies... Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by The Hellion:
[b]WWhen I was a kid I loved going to the movies and watching Billy Jack..Now I can hardly stand to watch it [/b]

Man I used to love the Billy Jack movies.

Also one that I watched recently that totally scared the piss outta me when I was a kid is a movie called "Devil's Rain" with William Shatner and Ernest Borgnine. Now it was total cheese but it sure was cool when I was young.

Did anyone else see this movie??
Desslar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 2:13 pm    Post subject: Once-tolerable movies, dropping like flies... Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrannorabbit:
_RoboCop_ is still cool in my book. As for Connery's worst hour - hard to say if this, or _Highlander 2: The Quickening_ (which I just saw last night), is more worthy of that honor.

Oh, yeah. Forgot about that one. Wasn't there also one called Zardos or something?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Free For All Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: