HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Turntable help?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Free For All Forum
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hippyblood

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 8:09 pm    Post subject: Turntable help? Reply with quote

Any stereo experts out there? I thought I was pretty good at it, but I'm lost on this one. I bought an older used JVC turntable for my dad (so he can play the old albums he use to torture me with) and I can't get any volume out of it. I thought turntables were pretty simple and I could just plug it in and ta-da!, but it's not happening.
I plugged the rca jacks into the Aux. on his stereo, but at full blast it has only low volume. I also tried it on my jambox and through the audio jacks on my VCR, which runs through my stereo (easier than trying to get behind my entertainment center), with the same results. Anybody know why I'm getting such low volume and what I can do about it? Thanks!!
Swidman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 9:06 pm    Post subject: Turntable help? Reply with quote

Did you connect the ground wire to the back of the receiver?
Hippyblood

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 9:40 pm    Post subject: Turntable help? Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Swidman:
Did you connect the ground wire to the back of the receiver?

Definetely not! I sure don't remember seeing one though. All I remember seeing was the power cord and a "built in" rca plug. Is it possible it doesn't have a ground wire??

I'm going to have to head back over there and check that out. Thanks Swidman!
Metal et al

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 2:10 pm    Post subject: Turntable help? Reply with quote

Well, this is an obvious thing, but hey you never know. When you connected the stereo to the aux input on your dad's stereo, did you switch the mode selector on the receiver to aux?

It might also be an issue that the turntable has no built in amp. A lot of the old stereos had a "phono" input that was actually an amped input. You could try putting a little preamp in line between the turntable and the receiver. Radio Shack probably still sells them.

I still have a turntable but I do not use it on my main system. I have a little 25 watt stereo amp I bought from Radio Shack 20 years ago, so I use it as my dedicated retro sound system. It still sounds pretty good, but I don't miss the pop and skips one bit.
Hippyblood

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 4:00 pm    Post subject: Turntable help? Reply with quote

That's my fear, Metal et al, that there's no amp. I've heard about that now that you mention it, and I never plugged it into a dedicated phono jack, so that could be it. I'm going to have to do a little experimentation I think. I didn't think there was much to a turntable other than a motor and a "needle", that's why I couldn't figure out why the sound was so low. Thanks for the tip.
nuclear_x

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 6:29 pm    Post subject: Turntable help? Reply with quote

do you have a PHONO preset? as opposed to AUX
also what kind of reciever are you hooking it up to?if it has only AUX then you will need a PHONO-PRE amp you can still get those at radio shack.
Hippyblood

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 4:03 pm    Post subject: Turntable help? Reply with quote

Yup, Phono pre-amp is the answer. Thanks all!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Free For All Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: