HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HIV + Muppet
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Free For All Forum
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iwarrior

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 1:09 am    Post subject: HIV + Muppet Reply with quote

The idea of bringing an HIV+ muppet to TV was discussed on another message board that I frequent. I kinda disagreed with the idea,because Sesame Street's target audience aren't the ones spreading this disease. I think that this idea is being done with the best of intentions,but I just find it sort of pointless. I'd like to know what your thoughts are on this.

My thoughts are more detailed on this link:

[url=http://wrestlingclassics.com/.ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f= 1;t=025892;p=1]http://wrestlingclassics.com/.ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=ge t_topic;f=1;t=025892;p=1[/url]

Here's the story about the HIV muppet here:

[url=http://europe.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/TV/07/12/sesame.street.reut/in dex.html]http://europe.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/TV/07/12/sesame.street.reu t/index.html[/url]
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 1:16 am    Post subject: HIV + Muppet Reply with quote

I don't think it would be necessarily appropriate over here, but in South Africa, HIV is like bad breath - if you haven't got it, the dude sitting across the bus from you sure as hell does.

So, I don't have a problem with it; it's not like this muppet's going to be giving safe-sex tips or anything.
iwarrior

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 1:40 am    Post subject: HIV + Muppet Reply with quote

I know that it is a very big problem in Africa,but my point is that it is adults that are spreading this disease and not the very young children that make up Sesame Street's audience. Pre-schoolers aren't having sex and sharing needles. Adults and much older children are.

I'm not outraged by the idea,but I just think that the efforts put forth would be of much better use elsewhere.

I also have a problem with them using a muppet to represent the HIV+ population. If they are going to do this,then why not have a real person with HIV on the show?
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 4:17 am    Post subject: HIV + Muppet Reply with quote

Remember that movie _Reality Bites_? Only good thing about it was Janeane Garofalo, who played a girl who was anxiously awaiting the results of an HIV test. She had a hilarious conversation about how she'll probably end up being like the AIDS girl on Melrose, the "my handshake isn't going to infect you, it's okay to touch me, it's okay to use the toilet after I do" girl.

I suspect this is the general gist of this muppet.

Hard to say how many kids are born with HIV over there, but yeah, it's probably overwhelmingly a teen/adult disease - but, again, one prominent enough that parents there probably can't succeed in "shielding" their kids from knowledge of it for very long.

Good point about having a human instead, though imagine if he became this beloved character for the kids...and then developed full-blown AIDS and died! It usually doesn't happen that fast, but I guess you never know.
Lars37

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 4:46 am    Post subject: HIV + Muppet Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrannorabbit:
Good point about having a human instead, though imagine if he became this beloved character for the kids...and then developed full-blown AIDS and died! It usually doesn't happen that fast, but I guess you never know.

Hey Rabbit...hate to break it to you, but if a Muppet dies, it's because Sesame Street wrote the death in the script! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
I doubt that they'd do that to the young'uns over there!

The one question I have is how they would say the Muppet GOT the disease - I'm guessing "born with it", but what if they went another route? Shared a needle? UNPROTECTED MUPPET SEX???? [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img]
JesseR72

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 3:51 pm    Post subject: HIV + Muppet Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Lars37:
UNPROTECTED MUPPET SEX???? [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img]

LMAO!
nuclear_x

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 7:30 pm    Post subject: HIV + Muppet Reply with quote

And you thought bert and ernie were hetro.... [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img]
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 12:25 am    Post subject: HIV + Muppet Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Lars37:
Hey Rabbit...hate to break it to you, but if a Muppet dies, it's because Sesame Street wrote the death in the script! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Well, I was referring to any hypothetical human on the show with HIV instead of a muppet.
Lars37

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 6:28 am    Post subject: HIV + Muppet Reply with quote

I thought that's what you meant, but I always say...go for the cheap joke when it's there! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Free For All Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: