HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Millions turned off by metal scene
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Free For All Forum
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mijarra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 7:54 pm    Post subject: Millions turned off by metal scene Reply with quote

Fair enough. Addressing the topic at hand: Yes, "glam" bands are "out" right now and somewhat snickered at. No, I don't really like that fact and I don't think it's fair. There are a lot of bands that were really great musically who will only be remembered by their hair and makeup. But that doesn't mean that if an artist were to have the desire to dress and act this way they should let themselves be deterred by "popular opinion". Hell, if people cared about popular opinion do you think there would be any metal at all?

Illegitimus non carborundum..."Don't let the bastards wear you down." Be yourself, like what you like, do what you want to do, and don't let the bastards wear you down and make you like they are. I personally love engaging clueless knucklheads who make ridiculous claims like Curt Cobain was a musical genius, but CC DeVille sucks. Please. It's so easy to follow the flock and fit in, but why bother when things are just going to change anyways. So I just listen to what I like.

BTW, I think a great deal of the reason that bands like Anthrax made fun of the glam thing was b/c hard rock bands were getting all the attention and the heavier bands were on the back burner, at the time. Wasn't Danny Spitz brother in Skid Row or something like that, I thought there was a Skid Row / Anthrax connection. I loved Anthrax, but I loved Poison too. Who cares. I still listen to both.
Lars37

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 8:17 pm    Post subject: Millions turned off by metal scene Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bralalalala:
Yet no labels of worth will admit to my popularity (or my long list of girlfriends-no I don't count or care in that way, it is just the point), so I must make my own label as well.

Now tell me again just WHO turned this into a Bralalalalalalalalalalalaaa topic, OK?
You can't have it both ways - if you insert some self-pitying blather into a post which is allegedly about something else, then I can reply to your self-pity. Simple. If you don't want to be the focus of your topic, don't become your own topic.
Bralalalala

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 5:54 am    Post subject: Millions turned off by metal scene Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Lars37:
If you don't want to be the focus of your topic, don't become your own topic.[/QB]

Yeah, I am interested in the topics I write about. I guess you could call that a conflict of interest.

"So go ahead and continue to complain about the bizarre reasons you create in your head to justify why people aren't tripping over each other to buy your sub-par CDs, cuz it makes me laugh."

I've refused up to 10 label offers for various reasons personal to my interests. I suppose that is a bizarre reason no one trips over my cd at a store. I don't support gerks who are thieves, incompetent, bigots, abusive or whatever screwed stuff, which very many labels consist of. Remember, the music musicians make is not necessarily all about you and making sure you have your cd's to collect!!! I know you are upset that I refer to my own experiences once again in conversation on broader topics like the image of bands/politics of business, etc. I do not apologize for that. I just don't concur what relevance means in your book. So you like to call me names. I just am here presenting a new opinion to those you present about the world and music today. I am a heroic character, not a victim/oppressor as you state. You are just upset I do not approve of your views. Tough.
Icarus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 6:28 am    Post subject: Millions turned off by metal scene Reply with quote

[i](confused, icaras does a double take)[/i]
[img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img]
Rockangel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 12:32 pm    Post subject: Millions turned off by metal scene Reply with quote

Ok I am gonna be the first to admit that after all the posts by Brala... I have discovered I don't "get" it. But more importantly, I no longer wish to try. Life is way to short to spend/waste any further time on the attempt. I can't take people who are constantly "poor me" and "nobody GETS or understands me" I stopped playing that game at 16.

I don't get it, and I don't care. Now I am off to actually enjoy life. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Mijarra

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 9:03 pm    Post subject: Millions turned off by metal scene Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rockangel:
Ok I am gonna be the first to admit that after all the posts by Brala... I have discovered I don't "get" it. But more importantly, I no longer wish to try. Life is way to short to spend/waste any further time on the attempt. I can't take people who are constantly "poor me" and "nobody GETS or understands me" I stopped playing that game at 16.

I don't get it, and I don't care. Now I am off to actually enjoy life. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I concur. I've tried approaching this guy from every possible angle here and it goes right back to the same ol sh*t. There are better things we can be discussing rather than this nonsense.
Bralalalala

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 10:07 pm    Post subject: Millions turned off by metal scene Reply with quote

I think it is infinitely simple: real artists make music for themselves, in my view, not for others. Just like with image, we do it for ourselves. Now, for those of us who don't know the difference between the self and another, I suppose this is complicated. For those who would rather us all play from the same rule book, so we can assimilate and disassociate, then fine.
It is a sort of social decay we seem to be having in these days, this notion that we must, in one summing instant, for all times, "understand" a music band/artist. Well, I'm bored with this religious sort of metal "music" which can be written in a book so I can understand. I suppose this has been the trend for some 15 years now or more...I want to be suprised, so that for once I can hear again.
PaulEMoz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 10:07 am    Post subject: Millions turned off by metal scene Reply with quote

If you have your image for yourself, and nobody else, why do you constantly keep trying to ram it down our throats, so to speak? We don't care what you look like, or what your sexual preference is, so stop keep bleating about it and giving us your schizophrenic bleeding heart/I don't care routine. I think even the most tolerant are fed up with it now, and you can probably tell that for yourself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bralalalala

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 6:32 pm    Post subject: Millions turned off by metal scene Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by PaulEMoz:
If you have your image for yourself, and nobody else, why do you constantly keep trying to ram it down our throats, so to speak? We don't care what you look like, or what your sexual preference is, so stop keep bleating about it and giving us your schizophrenic bleeding/heart/I don't care routine. I think even the most tolerant are fed up with it now, and you can probably tell that for yourself.

By being myself, I ram nothing on anyone. This you MUST UNDERSTAND. Since the IQ level here is apparently too low to converse with about the poor state of music in these days, I will go to my next interview at yet another radio station, where people are interested in REAL METAL. You sheep here are more interested in cliches.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Free For All Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: