HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coping Skills: Dealing with STRESS!!!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Free For All Forum
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mijarra

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 9:35 pm    Post subject: Coping Skills: Dealing with STRESS!!!!! Reply with quote

Ever feel like you are ready to crack, like your head is just going to suddenly pop? Between my job getting to me sometimes, then things breaking around the house, conflicts with certain family members, trying to work on my music, and just life in general I feel like my head in on fire and my teeth are permanantly clenched all the time. It's mostly my own fault b/c I tend to ignore warning signs and plod along until things get to the breaking point and then I freak out majorly on someone or something or a combination of both.

I came home from work today, worked on some music for a few hours, a friend stopped by to discuss some issues, then I sit down here to "relax" and I pop[i] Soilwork: A Predators Portrait[/i] into the player and slap the headphones on. It was just too much!!!! I love that disc, but I listen to jazz all day at work which is a brash style of music, then I come home and listen to extreme metal. Most of the time that's great, but it didn't seem to be helping my mood at all, and I was keenly aware of the feeling that I couldn't unclench my teeth and my head was throbbing. So, I took a step back, replaced the death metal with some classical music (NP: Pachelbel's Canon) and I am slowing beginning to disarm. Hopefully there will be sleep tonight, as I have been lying there with my eyes bulging from my head as of late and existing on short hours of rest and much coffee.

So, anyone have any tips for dealing with stress or coping in general? It's actually making me feel better just to write this out, in a strange way, so I hope y'all can forgive my rambling. I know what I really need to do is take some time off of work b/c my job is a large part of it, but that probably won't happen.
Rockangel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 9:48 pm    Post subject: Coping Skills: Dealing with STRESS!!!!! Reply with quote

Try this one Mijarra. May sound like it wouldn't work but it's proven. Take a warm bath 30 minutes to an hour before bed. I've had insomnia all my life and am high strung (like that wasn't noticable LOL.) Anyhoo, it not only relaxes you but it also will help drop your body temp though it won't feel like it because it's warm. Our temp naturally drops when you go to sleep but in people who have a problem getting to sleep wheathe becaus of stress or chemical imbalance it happens much slower. You literally ARE revved up. This actually does work. But it has to be no more than an hour befor bed. Also try not to eat anything after 8 pm as food raises your internal temp too.

Just some natural tips. I've been on everything from vallum (sp?) to mussle relaxers in my life but the natural ways seem to work just as well without side effects.

When I'm really stressed I like to lay on my bed at sundown and look at the mountians and think of the good things in my life no matter how small. Just really force myself to focus on the positive things. I rarely play music oddly. Music tends to get my imagination going which tends to make me want/need to draw which now that I do it for a living it's not really as relaxing as it once was.
Mijarra

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 10:20 pm    Post subject: Coping Skills: Dealing with STRESS!!!!! Reply with quote

Thanks Rockangel. I guess I'm kinda high strung too. Usually everything is cool, but then things get to the boiling point and everything gets screwed up. I get these ideas and thoughts at night and then I end up awake at 3 am fiddling with the guitar or sitting up thinking. Then at work (I work with elderly people in long term care, as I said in the other post) I start thinking about how sad it is for the old folks to be stuck there all the time in the twilight of their lives and I get very depressed. Then I end up skipping workouts, eating weird meals, yelling at people for no reason or just ignoring people for no reason. I am really NOT a depressed person, I am actually a fairly happy person, but things just get to me sometimes. Like things mount up for a few months, then I freak out for a while, then everything is okay again. Weird, huh?

I'll try to take your advice. I'm not much for baths unless I am hurt or something, but one thing I do which I shouldn't is eat late at night sometimes. Usually b/c I get off work late, my schedule is kinda screwy. I surely don't want to rely on anything chemical to help me chill out. I used to chug Nyquil (or worse) when I couldn't sleep. I haven't done that for a while, thankfully. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 4:21 am    Post subject: Coping Skills: Dealing with STRESS!!!!! Reply with quote

I actually went through a period a few years ago when I had a hot bath at just about every opportunity. So relaxing...
Lars37

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 6:07 am    Post subject: Coping Skills: Dealing with STRESS!!!!! Reply with quote

Try putting on a dress and playing as poorly as you know how to. That seems to help other people!! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
rockin500

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 7:28 am    Post subject: Coping Skills: Dealing with STRESS!!!!! Reply with quote

well, when i was going through a time just trying not to jump in front of a bus i had several different methods of relieving stress. one: drinking. That one wasnt a very good one. lol

I couldnt take baths in the dorms so i took extra long hot showers. I also just cranked the stereo extra loud to relax to some good classic heavy metal. but sometimes i did listen to classical music to unwind.

oh and sometimes I wrote. just a way to release those emotions.

i have always been an insomniac so i go through this too.
Jake

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:21 am    Post subject: Coping Skills: Dealing with STRESS!!!!! Reply with quote

I tend to go through those freak out periods too, but the only solutions I can offer you are things you already do I'm sure. For me running and playing guitar are the let offs for extra bodily and creative energies. Sometimes even drawing or writing can help with that. And then you can listen to music that you love and just let it soak in and get you into a good place. Sometimes you have to do that kindof imagining thing that Rockangel was talking about, where you think of a favorite place of yours or the best things in your life even if they aren't right there with you at the time. In fact fantasizing might even help.

And besides eating late at night running or excercising late at night isn't too great either. Naturally I ignore that one all the time in the summer, but it takes it's toll. And if you stress your body you are going to feel more stressed even if you are mentally tough.
iwarrior

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 1:35 pm    Post subject: Coping Skills: Dealing with STRESS!!!!! Reply with quote

I can relate to the stress thing. I've been dealing with it for a while now. I find that pumping iron helps me.
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 8:32 pm    Post subject: Coping Skills: Dealing with STRESS!!!!! Reply with quote

Singing in the car, watching a good dvd, eating a nice meal, getting a brush cut #3 (man its great to be almost bald!).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Free For All Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: