HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Bands Truly Worship The Devil?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Free For All Forum
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
live4metal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject: What Bands Truly Worship The Devil? Reply with quote

There's a band I've beeen enjoying alot lately.A band that uses mostly death metal vocals,something I rarely get into.Other than say Children of Bodom,In Flames,Soilwork,and a few others.Dimmu Borgir is the band,Death Cult Armageddon is the CD.And it's serious metal.Heavy ,dark,symphonic & Satanic metal.
I myself am not a Satanist.And I've never really felt I'd be going to hell for listening to Slayer,Mercyful Fate, or any other metal band.it's just great music & art to me.listening to Death Cult Armageddon gets me thinking though,do these dudes really worship Satan? Or is the Occult imagery,satanic lyrics and face paint being used for shock value?The same way Venom used a goat head and Slayer,Motley Crue and countless other metal bands used Pentagrams ?
I think these guys,along with King Diamond and countless other Black/Death metal bands do Worship Satan the Devil,Mephistophelius, the Man Down Stairs.One band, I think it's Bathory,had one member murder another and burned down churchs somewhere in Europe I think( someone will post the band and guy I'm talking about).
Anyhow,I'm sure alot of U listen to this music like me and don't read the Necronomicon and drink your neighbors blood from a chalice.Then again maybe some of U do.But what bands through Metal History do you people think truly worshipped Satan ? And do any of U consider yourselves Satanists',Witches or Aetheists'?
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: What Bands Truly Worship The Devil? Reply with quote

Quite a few bands (and people) consider themselves Satanists, but scarcely anyone actually worships the Devil...Satan is seen more as a behavioral model in most Satanic belief systems, and to my understanding, most Satanists don't believe in God, Satan, angels, demons, or any sort of supernaturalia.

King Diamond has made no secret of being a Satanist. Simen Hestnaes from Dimmu Borgir said he was in one interview, but he didn't expand on it and I never heard anything about it since.

I'm sure any number of guys working in black metal consider themselves Satanists.

Myself...agnostic, but I'm close enough to an atheist that I might as well be one.
JGunnz1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:15 am    Post subject: What Bands Truly Worship The Devil? Reply with quote

Yes, satanism is sort of an anti christian "religion." It is more about recognizing the animalistic nature of a human and living your life according to those impulses, so to speak.

That being said, a lot of bands use it for shock value. I don't think that Slayer ever really claimed to be Satanists. They viewed their music the same way one views horror movies. They also use "gory" imagery in order to get across their points of view. When you look at a slayer song's lyrics, it is easy to look past the true meaning. For example, "angel of death" being about Dr Mengele, the infamous nazi doctor and "behind the crooked cross" about Nazi Germany.

King Diamond is an admitted Satanist and a student of Anton La Vey, who started the Satanic church. His daughter now runs the church,but at some point it split and there are two different "recognized" satanic religions.

The way I see it, if it is their thing so be it. I don't base whether or not I will like a band on their religious preferences. A band cannot change my belief systems- despite what orgs like the old PMRC and others like it would have you believe.
Ug

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:43 am    Post subject: What Bands Truly Worship The Devil? Reply with quote

I think only a few of these are actually "serious Satanist". Singing about Satan or acting like a believer is just their way of going against the establised beliefs(in this case religious). At the end of the day (after they have washed the corpse paint) they're just normal church going people like Alice Cooper.

Heavy Metal has always thrived in going against whatever is considered right whether its politics, relations or religion. So praising the "Red Guy" is just their way of giving the Church the finger.
iwarrior

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject: What Bands Truly Worship The Devil? Reply with quote

I don't think ANY metal bands truly practice Satanism,including King Diamond. He's too theatric and vaudevillian about it and seems like a comic book villian come to life to me.

I remember back in high school when I subbed to Rolling Stone(I was trying to be 'grown up' and 'hip' at the time). They had a series of interviews with religious leaders,and their final interview was with Anton LaVey. He was actually a scary [i]looking[/i] dude,but in the interview,he just came off as a harmless,wealthy eccentric.Even Anton LaVey himself said that heavy metal can't be Satanic because it's too popular. Weirdly enough he claimed that the most Satanic music was music that was once really popular,but had since been long forgotten(he used "Yes We Have No Bananas" as an example) Towards the end of the interview,the interviewer mentioned that he just seemed like a harmless oddball,and LaVey became enraged and threw him out of his house saying something to the effect that the greatest insult that a Satanist could recieve was that he/she was "harmless".

Satanism to me,is just a hustle. It was invented just to make LaVey rich. He lived off of the Satanic Bible for most of his adult life. I even seem to remember him saying that he once worked for a circus. Sammy Davis Jr. claimed he was a Satanist fer chrissakes! What's that tell you? [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

In terms of people who claim they practice it,I think they just say they do in order to seem tough and powerful. Inmates sometimes will claim they are Satanists so that other prisoners won't mess with them. People that murder will claim they are Satanists in an attempt to get off easy.

It's really,more than anything,a philosophy,and excuse to "look out for number one" and to be vindictive. No surprise also that most people that "practice" it are upper-middle class white folks either,but I'm not going there.

Interesting link about Satanism...

[url=http://www.religioustolerance.org/satanism.htm]http://www.religio ustolerance.org/satanism.htm[/url]
Jim McCormick

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: What Bands Truly Worship The Devil? Reply with quote

I'm agnostic. All organised religion is a bunch of hocus pocus created by man out of his fear & ignorance of death. Satanisum is no different.

Ian Hunter said it best, "May Santa Clause be your death."
Jake

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: What Bands Truly Worship The Devil? Reply with quote

I've always thought bands mention the devil in their lyrics for the following reasons:

1.He's a symbol of rebellion. He rebelled against the established order that was keeping him down.

2.Being crazy and into things people don't understand makes you "interesting". Good way to sell your product. It probably used to be you'd talk about girls and rock'n'roll in most of your songs, then a band comes along and starts talking about interesting topics like killing people and devouring souls. And at one point that was different from the others. Then it became a trend that metal bands like to follow.

3.As someone said before- being crazy, irrational, or confrontation adds to shock value and makes you look tough. People don't want to come across as wimps- so they do what they can to look tough. To some it's more important than others- which is why some bands will stick with the introspective lyrics and chick songs. But others are always trying to be more tough, or as the black metallers say it- "true".

Those are the reasons I see for Satanism being popular in music. Since metal is often(image wise} about being tough, shocking, groundbreaking, and rebellious the devil is the perfect mascot.

I still don't think most bands really worship Satan or the devil even if they say they do in their lyrics.
thekeys

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: What Bands Truly Worship The Devil? Reply with quote

I think it goes with the whole mindset that a lot of metal bands want to be heavier and tougher than the next band. What's more hardcore than murder and mayhem? And probably the most shocking thing you can say to the Christian public is something sick or shocking about Jesus or their faith. I think sometimes bands get too absorbed in the whole thing, and at some point, most of what they're doing is for shock and not really what in their hearts they really want to say anymore. There are however, the bands that have this image and take it very seriously, I'm sure. That's fine if it works for them.

Steve
[url=http://www.funender.com/music/bands/40]http://www.funender.com/mu sic/bands/40[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Free For All Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: