HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In Flames Soundtrack Revisited, + New Evergrey
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
General Zod

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I NEVER buy anything from Amazon.com. Aside from the fact that The End is cheaper and faster, they are a Heavy Metal vendor. It is what they do, it is who they are. It is important that we support the merchants who support the scene, and not nameless, faceless, publicly held corporate entities who don't give a flying f**k about us or our genre. If I have a problem with The End, I get an e-mail back from the owner in a matter of hours. They are always extremely helpful and willing to go the extra mile for their customers.

As for them not having CDs in stock, I find that to be the exception more than the rule. And when they don't have it in stock, I wait. I will never buy a CD from a non-Metal vendor again.

By the way, The End has both those CDs in stock. The CDs are two dollars cheaper each, no tax and free shipping.

GZ
Mijarra

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my point of view, which I'm sure I'll again take a beating for, is that buying metal from mainstream sources also does a lot to support metal. If a company like Amazon sees high sales for metal bands, they will keep them in stock and push them. Most local music stores don't stock much metal, so I don't go there, but there in one that does and I don't hesitate to buy CDs from them even though they are a big corporate entity. If everyone in the area who is into metal buys CDs from this store, they will see that it's worth keeping in stock, and they will continue to sell metal CDs. How can that not be good for metal? So why shouldn't I buy metal from Amazon? It may be an extra $2 a CD, but the shipping is still free, it's easy to find what I want, and a site like that will give metal bands a lot more exposure than semi-underground sites that deal only in metal.

I have given up on fighting "the man". It's the same with musical instruments. I used to loathe companies like Musicians Friend, but I'm coming to realize that ethics in business are imaginary. Whether it's a big company or a small one, it all comes down to the fact that I am just a consumer to either of them. Instead of shaking my fist and declaring values that they couldn't care less if I have, I make the decision that's best for me.
General Zod

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Mijarra"]Well, my point of view, which I'm sure I'll again take a beating for, is that buying metal from mainstream sources also does a lot to support metal. If a company like Amazon sees high sales for metal bands, they will keep them in stock and push them.[/quote]

Amazon.com doesn't care which genre sells. And I'm fairly sure they don't do anything, nor will they ever, to further the genre.

[quote="Mijarra"]So why shouldn't I buy metal from Amazon? It may be an extra $2 a CD, but the shipping is still free, it's easy to find what I want, and a site like that will give metal bands a lot more exposure than semi-underground sites that deal only in metal.[/quote]

Well, for starters, I'm not sure why you want to pay $2 extra per CD. I'm also not sure why you would want to wait longer to receive your CDs. As for easier to find; you go to The End, you type in the name of the artist or the name of the CD that you want, and press "search". I'm not sure what could be easier. And once again, I'm not sure what "exposure" Amazon gives any artist.

[quote="Mijarra"]Whether it's a big company or a small one, it all comes down to the fact that I am just a consumer to either of them. Instead of shaking my fist and declaring values that they couldn't care less if I have, I make the decision that's best for me.[/quote]

I think you get different levels of service from different merchant. I've always received a high quality, personal level of service from The End.

GZ
Mijarra

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying Amazon cares about metal for the sake of metal, I am saying they care what sells. If metal sells, they will care about metal. If Amazon, or any big company, cares about metal...even if it's just because they can make money on it... then that is good for metal. A lot more people look for CDs on Amazon then they do at The End.

Why do I come here? I make one friendly little post about some CDs and somehow I end up defending my decision on where I bought them. Everyone forget I ever mentioned freakin Amazon. The CD's fell out of the sky and I found them in the front yard.
bringer

Location: somewehere in between the specs of pictures burnt beyond

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as for the new In Flames, before I thought I liked it, now I do not so much. The most frustrating part about it for me is there are some really good songs on it (see Evil In A Closet, A Quiet Place), and then some really not so good, (In Search For 1 Mudvayne riff) so it's really quite disappointing. From what I've heard off RTR I like it, from what I've heard off Clayman I have the same feeling as STYE, for me their peak will always be Colony.

As for Evergrey it seems that they have finally gotten it right what they want to get across, and that is to merge power metal, with traditional with prog and make it dark for a new kind of metal. I think that Ambassador is the best thing that they have put to tape.
General Zod

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Mijarra"]Why do I come here? I make one friendly little post about some CDs and somehow I end up defending my decision on where I bought them. Everyone forget I ever mentioned freakin Amazon. The CD's fell out of the sky and I found them in the front yard.[/quote]

LOL. I'm just trying to promote a site I feel deserves promotion. To me it just seems logical to want to support a Metal site, run by good people, over some faceless corporation. And when you add in that The End is cheaper and they get you your CDs faster, it seems like a no brainer. But if shopping Amazon makes you happy, knock yourself out.

GZ
JosephC

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one thing that I do not like about TheEnd, the fact that they won't "backorder" a CD and then ship it to you when they get it back in stock.

Recently I had ordered the latest In Flames CD, and when they fulfilled my order the disc was not included because they were out of stock. I e-mailed them asking if I could just order it, and they could just ship it to me when they receive it because they already have my credit card number. Unfortunately they would not do it, even though they indicated at the time they would have the CD back in stock within the next week. So I ended up having to go back to their site every day to see if it was back in stock, and then having to take the time and re-order it when they already knew I wanted the disc, have all my background information and my payment information.

If they were to change anything with their service, I think the customer should be able to type "backorder" in the comments section for each purchase when they place an order, which would indicate to The End to ship it to the customer when they get it back in stock.
General Zod

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never run into that. But then again, I visit their site at least two or three times a day, so it's not a huge hassle for me. Have you asked Tomoer about possibly offering that as a service?

GZ
JosephC

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="General Zod"]I've never run into that. But then again, I visit their site at least two or three times a day, so it's not a huge hassle for me. Have you asked Tomoer about possibly offering that as a service?

GZ[/quote]

Tomer was who I talked to about the In Flames CD. When I got my initial order without the disc, I e-mailed him and asked if I could just "back-order" it and if they would then ship it to me when they received more copies. He said it wasn't their policy to do that, and to check back later in the week when they would have more copies in stock and to resubmit my order at that time.

Generally it is not a big deal for me because generally I check their site everyday as well. However, there are times where I'll get stuck at work late for two or three nights straight and when I'm real busy I'll forget about checking their site, etc.

I'd like to add that is my only complaint regarding The End. And I would consider it a minor one at that. I pretty much do 80% of my CD buying through them, probably 15% of my CD buying through a local CD shop, and the other 5% through other online sites (which is mainly ebay for rare stuff I cannot find anywhere else). I am very happy overall with The End, as evidenced by the amount of buying I do through them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: