HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need opinions on these box set!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iwarrior

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject: Need opinions on these box set!!! Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul G:
quote:
Originally posted by iwarrior:
quote:
#3 = Iron Maiden/Eddie's Archive
Well I have basically all of Maiden's stuff except for this, so I don't need any info regarding how well this represents Iron Maiden's catalog. Originally I was going to pass simply because of the principle...Steve Harris' soaking the Maiden die-hards irritates me at times. But now I might consider it. Anyway...if you have any comments on the discs or the packaging I would love to hear it.

I got this for X-Mas in 2002,and was pretty happy with it. However,the b-sides portion of the set is not exhaustive and only includes highlights. However,all of the Blaze-era b-sides appear to be there. The packaging is gorgeous. If you're a big Maiden fan,it's worth getting.
the only studio track b-side that's missing is their cover of Thin Lizzy's Massacre, everything else is there to my knowledge except the live b-sides.
"Total Eclipse" isn't on there(grave omission,the best non-album track Maiden ever did,and it's an original). Another non-album track missing is "Women In Uniform". Then there's "Mission From 'Arry"(not really a song though).
live4metal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Need opinions on these box set!!! Reply with quote

Total Eclipse is included on the remaster of Number Of The Beast.
JosephC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Need opinions on these box set!!! Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jake:
My advice on Motorhead is to skip the box set and just buy the four biggest albums with Fast Eddie Clark[which is when the band was at it's best]- Overkill, Bomber, Ace of Spades[third best album ever in my opinion], and Iron Fist. After listening to these albums you'll probably want more and you can look on from there. Plus you only have to pay like 6O dollars for all four of these, so you aren't paying much more for the full versions of these quality albums.

Same deal with Thin Lizzy. Skip the box set and get the four Brian Robertson albums- Fighting[9th best album ever], Jailbreak, Johnny the Fox, and Bad Reputation. All four of these are absolutely killer and represent the best of the Thin Lizzy catalog. Although Thin Lizzy never released a bad album, these are the creme of the crop.

That's my advice.

Thanks for the advice, it's something I'll probably do. The more I thought about the box sets (especially the Motorhead one), I more I thought it might be a bad idea to start my collection with one. Like the Motorhead set, 20 or so demos/live tracks which might be cool to a "seasoned fan of the band," but for new ears it might come off sounding more like "filler." So I am probably going to take your advice and start off with some studio CDs instead.
JosephC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: Need opinions on these box set!!! Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor X:
quote:
Originally posted by Jake:
My advice on Motorhead is to skip the box set and just buy the four biggest albums with Fast Eddie Clark[which is when the band was at it's best]- Overkill, Bomber, Ace of Spades[third best album ever in my opinion], and Iron Fist. After listening to these albums you'll probably want more and you can look on from there. Plus you only have to pay like 6O dollars for all four of these, so you aren't paying much more for the full versions of these quality albums.

If you are looking for these 4 albums check this out:
[url=http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=3397926&cart=177196 631&style=music]http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=3397926& cart=177196631&style=music[/url]

All four for $35, you can't beat that.

Thanks for pointing that out. That would actually be the most ideal route to go in terms of picking up 4 Motorhead CDs. The only problem is that it look like that set is packaged in the mini-LP cardboard sleeves, and I hate buying CDs in those types of packages. But thanks for pointing that set out, if that set came in jewel cases I would have already ordered it.
JosephC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Need opinions on these box set!!! Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor X:
The Maiden box is good if you can get it for a decent price. It is essentially 3 double cds. It is nice to have most of their b-sides in one place instead of on a bunch of separate discs or singles. THere are some other songs that should have been included with it (and there is time for a couple) but it is still good. The Beast over Hammersmith show is great. My biggest complaint is the BBC archive set. The stuff with Dianno is good, but the Bruce part just duplicates the Beast show and has a few songs from the 7th Son Donington show. Overall, the live stuf is too repetitive. How many versions of Iron Maiden and Number of the Beast can they put in one collection? Bottom line is if you can get it cheap, go for it.

I picked up this set mainly because a local record store had it and they had it fairly cheap ($75 so I think I paid $80.16 once the state tax was added in). I haven't listened to it yet but when I do I will post a review.

I had all the Maiden b-side material up through The X-Factor (and kind of stopped after that because studio b-sides from the band seemed to disappear after that). Other folks have already mentioned some omissions, there are only 4 studio omissions that I can find in the time period from the first album through The X-Factor:
1. Women In Uniform
2. Total Eclipse
3. Massacre
4. I Live My Way (An X-Factor B-side)
JosephC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Need opinions on these box set!!! Reply with quote

As far as the Motley Crue set, I've decided to wait until volumes 2 and 3 see the light of day. After more thought I'm really only interested in picking these up if they end up covering the band's entire career until now. I don't want to pick up volume 1, and then never have the next set of volumes never see the light of day (which wouldn't surprise me since volume 1 would be the one with the most commercial appeal).

And these Motley sets would be worth my while because I didn't pick up any of those re-issues that were released, but have always been interested in them because of the bonus material. So the Motley box set(s) make sense for me.
Paul G

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Need opinions on these box set!!! Reply with quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Paul G:
quote:
quote:
#3 = Iron Maiden/Eddie's Archive
Well I have basically all of Maiden's stuff except for this, so I don't need any info regarding how well this represents Iron Maiden's catalog. Originally I was going to pass simply because of the principle...Steve Harris' soaking the Maiden die-hards irritates me at times. But now I might consider it. Anyway...if you have any comments on the discs or the packaging I would love to hear it.

I got this for X-Mas in 2002,and was pretty happy with it. However,the b-sides portion of the set is not exhaustive and only includes highlights. However,all of the Blaze-era b-sides appear to be there. The packaging is gorgeous. If you're a big Maiden fan,it's worth getting.
the only studio track b-side that's missing is their cover of Thin Lizzy's Massacre, everything else is there to my knowledge except the live b-sides.
"Total Eclipse" isn't on there(grave omission,the best non-album track Maiden ever did,and it's an original). Another non-album track missing is "Women In Uniform". Then there's "Mission From 'Arry"(not really a song though).
Total Eclipse is on the Number of the Beast remaster, Women wasn't a b-side but an a-side single cover song which Harris despises, maybe they couldn't get the rights for it at a reasonable price or Harris vetoed its inclusion, mission from arry is a pure spinal tap moment.
iwarrior

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Need opinions on these box set!!! Reply with quote

Forgot about "I Live My Way". Is that an original or a cover?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: