HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Rant On Music Videos-Are They Really An Artistic Necessity
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iwarrior

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 5:02 pm    Post subject: A Rant On Music Videos-Are They Really An Artistic Necessity Reply with quote

I caught the tail end of MTV's Ultrasound special on the late,lamented Saturday night program "Headbanger's Ball" early this afternoon. At one point they were showing fans at Ozzfest demanding that the show be brought back and were talking about how many people want to see it return. Methinks if it were brought back it would become "The Weekly Nu-Metal Review". I wasn't all that crazy about the show. I used to watch it after SNL was over and between commercials(if I was even home),but didn't think it was the best program in the world. It was better for a while when Ricky Rachtman took it over(remember when Adam Curry hosted it?Wasn't he a joke?!),but eventually lost its focus. I found it often redundant,as they would show videos that were already in heavy rotation during the rest of the week.

As I get older,I'm finding that music videos are dumb. All of 'em. I think they take away from the music. They ruin the mental images you already have about songs when you listen to the lyrics. They force musicians to be actors and to mug endlessly. However,many people want "'da Ball" to return. Here's what I'd like to see:

Forget about MTV bringing it back. They would only drop the ball(no pun intended,seriously)if they did.I'd like some other cable network come up with a metal show of their own. Instead of showing videos,they could have bands drop by,and play live. "Soul Train" showcases urban music(rap,r&b,etc.),"Hee-Haw" showcased country music,why not have a show for heavy metal?

I would hire some edgy stand-up comic to host the show(preferably one who likes metal). You could have skits here and there(hire the best comedy writers), and have non-metal celebs make guest appearances(to get "civilians" to watch and perhaps "seduce" them with power chords if you catch my drift).I've read that Cameron Diaz is a metal fan. It would be interesting to hear her talk about her favorite bands.I guess I'm thinking of a hybrid of Top Of The Pops(with bands playing live of course),SNL,and The Ed Sullivan Show with a heavy metal focus.

Would anyone like to see this happen? Who would you like to see host "my show"? What would you call it? When would you have it air? What station besides MTV would you like to see it on? Does anyone else agree that the music video "art form" should die? Am I nuts?
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 5:05 pm    Post subject: A Rant On Music Videos-Are They Really An Artistic Necessity Reply with quote

Videos, for better or for worse, reflect how the crowd the music is aimed towards at can be effectively marketed to. This is why they mostly suck.

However, I don't think they're inherently bad. Videos have actually often have a positive effect on my appreciation of some music. I never much got into _Rust In Peace_ until I saw the video for "Holy Wars...The Punishment Due" for example, and now RIP is in my top five albums of all time.
Horace

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 5:19 pm    Post subject: A Rant On Music Videos-Are They Really An Artistic Necessity Reply with quote

With DVD available now, the future is concert DVD's with historical footage, or things like the Classic Albums series. The traditional "video" to me is a waste of time - some of the greatest bands of all time made some of the STUPIDEST videos of all time (Judas Priest - breaking the law). Some of the vintage ones were good - but has anyone seen a recent one that they liked?
iwarrior

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 5:27 pm    Post subject: A Rant On Music Videos-Are They Really An Artistic Necessity Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Horace:
With DVD available now, the future is concert DVD's with historical footage, or things like the Classic Albums series. The traditional "video" to me is a waste of time - some of the greatest bands of all time made some of the STUPIDEST videos of all time (Judas Priest - breaking the law). Some of the vintage ones were good - but has anyone seen a recent one that they liked?

You know,another idea I've had for a while is a music channel that only shows concerts(old and new "live" ones).Of course,you could open it up to include all kinds of music.
MUTANT

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 5:34 pm    Post subject: A Rant On Music Videos-Are They Really An Artistic Necessity Reply with quote

If they ever bring back HEADBANGER'S BALL it probably won't be the same.

I have some old VCRs of Headbangers Ball. One of the great things about it was that there were som many small indy labels that were producing videos back then. Groups like Nuclear Assault, King Diamond, Hellion, Fem Fatale, etc. all got air-play if they were pplar enough. I am sure if HEAD BANGERS BALL ever came back you'd end up with mall metal on major labels only.

That is just my opinion.
LEV1ATHAN

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 7:54 pm    Post subject: A Rant On Music Videos-Are They Really An Artistic Necessity Reply with quote

iwarrior - you're onto something here. A Heavy Metal show, once per week, for 2 to 3 hours per showing. Concert footage would rule. No videos, just interviews, commentary, some humor might be fun too! With a weekly concert footage special showcasing a new band each week. Man, I would be tuned in for that.
iwarrior

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 8:00 pm    Post subject: A Rant On Music Videos-Are They Really An Artistic Necessity Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by LEV1ATHAN:
iwarrior - you're onto something here. A Heavy Metal show, once per week, for 2 to 3 hours per showing. Concert footage would rule. No videos, just interviews, commentary, some humor might be fun too! With a weekly concert footage special showcasing a new band each week. Man, I would be tuned in for that.

I was thinking of a 2 to 3 hour length for the show myself! One hour wouldn't be enough.
iwarrior

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 8:02 pm    Post subject: A Rant On Music Videos-Are They Really An Artistic Necessity Reply with quote

I was thinking that TNN would be a good network for it. That way they could forever distance themselves from their "Nashville Network" days.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 11:06 pm    Post subject: A Rant On Music Videos-Are They Really An Artistic Necessity Reply with quote

Years ago I did enjoyed MTV's "Headbanger Ball" (and yes it was during the Rikki Ratchman time), then I enjoyed in MTV LatinAmerica, a lot of death, grind, thrash passed thru in those days. But let's get real is [b]MTV[/b] the chances of all metal, including power, progressive, thrash, death, black, etc, to get equal representation in the program, as well as equal representation from bands of USA, Europe, South America, etc, is less than zero. I remember when MTV just started (still in highschool those days), everything was in the hourly rotation from Michael Jackson to Iron Maiden, maybe not our cup of tea but it was democratic. I can't believe today bands like Nightwish, Sinergy, Sonata Arctica will have the same conditions as the typical Ozzfest act.
[img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: