HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Top 10 CDs of 2003

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JosephC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Top 10 CDs of 2003 Reply with quote

Here we go. I've finally fully digested all the 2003 releases I have (so far), so it's time for the various lists:

[b]Best CDs of 2003:[/b]

1. Apocalyptica/Reflections Revised
...or just the regular version of Reflections. Either one would have been my top pick of 2003. Quite simply, this group of cello players just gets better and better and better. Now they are doing all original compositions, and they are fantastic.

2. Lullacry/Crucify My Heart
Crucify My Heart is probably the best pop-metal I have heard in over 10 years. Hooks after hooks after hooks.

3. Iron Maiden/Dance of Death
Stripped down production but I really like the majority of the songs (minus the first track) present here. Lots of Powerslave-era sounding stuff and "Journeyman" keeps things fresh and unique.

4. Dream Theater/Train of Thought
If all the songs on this were as good as the first two, it could have been the best CD released in the last 5 years. As it stands, it will have to settle for the #4 release in 2003. Much more solid effort than the "Six Degrees" CD which was all over the board.

5. Opeth/Damnation
It's Opeth, nothing more needs to be said.

6. Cradle of Filth/Damnation and a Day
It may not be Dusk...And Her Embrace, but it's much better than Midian was.

7. Green Carnation/A Blessing In Disguise
Has a 70's vibe with gothic/doom elements. Green Carnation are a great and very under-rated band.

8. Draconian/Where Lovers Mourn
Woah, imagine early Candlemass with a mixture of male and female vocals. Gothic/doom metal at it's finest.

9. The Duskfall/Source
33 minutes of some of the most melodic riffing you will ever hear.

10. Skyfire/Mind Revolution
Just makes the list. If these guys ever got a real budget to record a CD....

[b]Worst CDs (that I bought) of 2003:[/b]

1. Deftones/Deftones
Clearly the brillance of "Around the Fur" has completely slipped away from this band.

2. The Crown/Possessed 13
They broke up shortly after the release of this. After hearing this, I can understand why. Talk about your run-of-the-mill death metal. I listened to this about 4 times, and I can't remember one song title or one riff off of the whole CD.

3. Dream Evil/Evilized
Not even Bon Jovi could come up with something as "sugar" as "Children of the Night." Some of the riffs on this (Invisible) are downright pitiful.

4. Staind/14 Shades of Grey
Should have been called 14 Shades of Boredom. The Layne Staley track was just horrible.

5. Dimmu Borgir/Death Cult Armageddon
See the next list...

[b]Biggest disappointments of 2003:[/b]

1. Dimmu Borgir/Death Cult Armageddon
I really thought this CD would launch Dimmu Borgir straight past Cradle of Filth on the "pseudo-black metal" list. I'll give Dimmu Borgir credit, Death Cult Armageddon is one slick sounding CD, but the songs and the performances are just nowhere near that of Puritanical... And now that Nick Barker is out of the band...I fear that Dimmu's peak may now be behind us.

2. A Perfect Circle/Thirteenth Step
The first recording that Maynard James Keenan appears on that I do not like.

[b]Best EP of 2003:[/b]

John Arch/A Twist of Fate
Needless to say this one was over-due. I thought long and hard about putting it on my top 10 list but then thought I'd make special mention of it here. Too bad there isn't more tracks, but "Relentless" is special enough to make the whole thing worth-while.

[b]Best live release of 2003:[/b]

Led Zeppelin/How the West Was Won
Just listen to that version of "The Immigrant Song." Wow!

[b]Best songs of 2003:[/b]

This list could change daily, but right now I would give the nod to these 10 tracks as being the best of the year:

1. Relentless/John Arch
Not quite worth a 17-year wait, but close.

2. This Dying Soul/Dream Theater
May be the best song they've ever done.

3. Hope Leaves/Opeth
Just a beautiful song with some really emotional lyrics. It's hard not to be moved when listening to this track.

4. Epilogue (Relief)/Apocalyptica
Once again, just a beautiful composition.

5. Heathen Machine/Balance of Power
"Enter kindred where have you been?"

6. Mannequin/Cradle of Filth
Great melodic female vocal, one of the more commercial cuts Cradle of Filth has ever done and I think it works well. They should have released this cut as the first single instead of the relatively poor "Babylon AD" song.

7. The Cry of Silence/Draconian
Epic 12 minute cut that builds into one heck of a climax. Some great melodic leads in this song.

8. Heroes to Us/Kalmah
Great thrash-fest with just some crazy swedish-esque death riffs. Too bad the rest of the CD doesn't measure up to this track.

9. When You're Ready/O.S.I.
Strange song that really appeals to me for some reason. This CD had some goofy random lyrics but some of the music on it is really good.

10. Recreation Day/Evergrey
Cool song that kind of has that prodding Zeppelin Kashmir feel to it.
FALCON

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Top 10 CDs of 2003 Reply with quote

Finally, took a while, but good thoughts...I match only one disc of your top 10, while I really like a bunch of the discs you list (only got Lullacry and The duskfall recently, both are very strong and unique). I really agree with the disappointments, for sure Deftones, they had been the few of the nu-metal flag bands I really liked (along with System of the Down), and I recently add Mushroomhead and Chimara...

Funny thing for me 2003 was just a flat year, I could probably do my best of here in a few months and have some real replaceable slots. '04 is already surpassed last year in vintage releases anyhow...
iwarrior

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:53 am    Post subject: Top 10 CDs of 2003 Reply with quote

Crucify My Heart made my year-end list also. I liked Train of Thought and Blessing In Disguise also. I didn't hear ToT until this year though. BID didn't make my albums list but "Crushed To Dust" made my top songs list for 2003. Same with IM's "Paschendale". Have to disagree with DCA and Possessed 13 though.
live4metal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Top 10 CDs of 2003 Reply with quote

Wow Joe C.Your picks and ratings always amuse me.Apocalyptica is #1 ? Cradle of Crap is better than Dimmu Borgir ? No fukking way man.
Death Cult Armagedon was voted #1 by BW&BK magazine.And it smokes COF.
Lullacry? Come on people,what are U smoking? That CD sucks horribly! Tons of hooks? Maybe the singer is a hooker,but that's about it.
The only things I can agree with is the mention of Balance of Power and Evergrey.
How can you leave out Agent Steel:Order of the Illuminati or Brainstorm:Soul Temptation? Two true heads up traditional metal releases.
Falcon,I agree.2003 was not the best year for metal.I've already heard a handful of albums in '04 that would've made my list last year.
Hey Joe C,have you heard Tad Morose:Modus Vivendi? That's gotta rate a minus 1 on your rating scale.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: