HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BEST DIO GUITARIST
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  

best Dio guitarist?
Vivian Campbell
65%
 65%  [ 13 ]
Craig Goldie
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Rowan Robertson
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Tracy G
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Doug Aldrich
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 20

The Glorious Gallant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: BEST DIO GUITARIST Reply with quote

A guitarist in an Dio album is a very important factor in measuring its quality.
Although Dio had a constantly changing line-up , almost all its guitarists were talented.But the question is: WHO IS THE MOST TALENTED ONE OF THEM?

Vivian Campbell (Holy Diver, The Last in Line, Sacred Heart)

Craig Goldie (Dream Evil, Magica, Master of the Moon)

Rowan Robertson (Lock Up the Wolves)

Tracy G (Strange Highways, Angry Machines)

Doug Aldrich (Killing The Dragon)
Jake

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say Doug Alderich was the most talented, though Vivian Campbell wasn't bad for his time. i'm not really a Dio solo career fan; though he does have a few good songs. Campbell was pretty good on the first Dio album, but things weren't as good later on.
Jorge Castillo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that all of them are excellent guitar players, everyone with their unique style and approach to the music.
I've seen alive both Craig Goldie (DIO, Master of the Moon) and Doug Aldrich (Whitesnake).
Craig was a lot more calmed than Dough Aldridge, who was really being "The Last Guitar Hero" as one of my friends calls him. Aldridge was more passive, although he was smiling the whole night. He was pretty soft, but he got people's eyes instantly.
And Dough Aldriche sis the same in the other way around. SO, it is the same, but different.
For me, both are great guitar players. And the rest of the list, the same.
I can't tell who is "best".

They are all good, great players.

PS.- I read that Dough Aldrich returned to DIO.
DEFFY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ritchie Blackmore IMO.

But hey! I think you are just referring to the Dio solo career...so here it goes...from what I have read so far and from what Dio himself has admitted, he is know to have a huge ego and getting things his way when it comes to music.
I remember back in the 80 when Dio and Campbell parted ways, it was not pretty and there where the usual comments from both sides claiming to have "creative differences."
I think after Campbell all guitar players compromissed with Dio in the creative process, meaning they probably had to let go of some ideas or play something that did not fit their style. I can not say for certain, but probably for the guitar palyers' benefit, they were allowed let it rip only during their solo take. (there is a huge difference between collaboration and telling someone how and what to play)
I just think that Dio's first, was best, tight yet at same time it just sort of fell into place musically. All others sound too processed, forced - don't get me wrong, I love all of them, just the first one was great.
Over all, I think Dio certainly underands that it's a tough business and has to get the best talent available and certainly has not had bad company weather it is in other bands or his solo career.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dieselbank

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivian cambell rules. so does aldrich
vinyltim

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Favorite Dio Guitarist Reply with quote

Viv Campbell was the best......with Doug Aldrich a close second....Let's face it,HolyDiver and Last in Line are both classic albums and Viv was a big reason for this.I saw both tours and Viv was an animal onstage.I never was a big Goldy fan and Tracy G. just flat out sucked.I never understood why Ronnie stuck with him as long as he did.I had the misfortune of seeing him play on the Angry Machines tour and it was the worst.His guitar sounded like a badly out-of-tune chainsaw on most songs.The jury,I guess, is still out on Rowan Robertson.This 18 year old kid definitely had the chops when Ronnie hired him for the Lock Up the Wolves tour.This album was kind of a departure for Dio...a little darker...a little bluesier than his previous efforts,but a decent album,nonetheless.Evil on Queen Street is still one of my favorite Dio songs.Yet most people panned this album and Ronnie went in another direction after this.Come to think of it,I haven't heard anything about Rowan Robertson since this lp came out,so I guess the report card on him is incomplete.Aldrich is back in the fold now and he's another monster.I'd still prefer the original band and would love to see a reunion one day but I doubt Viv would ever agree to that as he doesn't hold Ronnie in the highest regards.
Der Itzehoer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Have to agree, that all are very good guitar players. Otherwise Ronnie would not have them on play on his solo albums. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
TheMetalChick

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Jake"]I'd say Doug Alderich was the most talented, though Vivian Campbell wasn't bad for his time. i'm not really a Dio solo career fan; though he does have a few good songs. Campbell was pretty good on the first Dio album, but things weren't as good later on.[/quote]

[color=yellow]Wow, I cant believe that only two people voted for Doug- me and (presumably) you. Vivian may have played on everyone's favorite Dio albums, but that doesnt make him technically better than Doug! Everyone who hasnt heard this guy play the classics, you need to check it out. Damn he's good![/color]
ddmetalhed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the poll wasn't most talented, so viv wins cuz his creative output with dio still holds up to this day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: