HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kirk Hammett Makes Idiotic Remark
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iwarrior

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:36 am    Post subject: Kirk Hammett Makes Idiotic Remark Reply with quote

[i]METALLICA Guitarist Insults Metal Elite [Hot Flashes - 04.03.26 16:15:59]

Out-of-touch METALLICA guitarist Kirk Hammett spoke to the DenverPost.com recently about their former peers. Hammett commented: "You look at DEF LEPPARD, BON JOVI, JUDAS PRIEST and IRON MAIDEN, and it's a trip to see bands that were big influences on us and not relevant anymore."

And all those bands influenced Metallica?

"Well ... all of them except for Bon Jovi."

(Thanks Maidenfans.com) [/i]
PaulEMoz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Kirk Hammett Makes Idiotic Remark Reply with quote

Metallica are 'relevant'?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TageRyche

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Kirk Hammett Makes Idiotic Remark Reply with quote

I don't see how any of the bands Hammet mentioned can say those bands are not relevant.

At least they didn't turn out St. Anger.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:55 am    Post subject: Kirk Hammett Makes Idiotic Remark Reply with quote

Bon Jovi did influence Metallica. First, Bon Jovi decided to be a completely media-driven sell-out act. Then Metallica did the exact same thing. First, Bon Jovi had Bob Rock produce a crappy pop-oriented marketing dominated record for them, then Metallica had him do the same thing.

It's cool of Hammett to admit all of this. Never expected he would.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Kirk Hammett Makes Idiotic Remark Reply with quote

Metallica and used toilet paper have the same relevance, only used toilet paper doesn't stink as bad.
Jake

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Kirk Hammett Makes Idiotic Remark Reply with quote

I don't think any of those bands are relevant today, including Metallica. Scorpions aren't relevant either [and they'd really have to come out with a stellar album this year to change that around].

Nevermore, Opeth, CoF, Dimmu Borgir, and various Gothenburg Death metal bands [especially In Flames and Soilwork], plus the numetal leaders like System of A Down and unfortunately Limp Biskit are all relevant. The mainstream numetal bands are relevant because the mainstream rock movement will follow them, and Nevermore and the others are relevant because the underground will try to follow them or at least inspire people to play good metal music.

Funny Kirk Hammett making those choices though. Though he stole a lot of his likcs from Adrian's playing on Number of the Beast, James and Lars have always claimed that Metallica was founded on the too 'heads- DiamondHead and Motorhead. Two bands which are also fairly irrelevant today except for the fact that Motorhead proves that you can still rock when you are 58 [which will not be the case for Metallica].
JesseR72

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Kirk Hammett Makes Idiotic Remark Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by iwarrior:
[i]METALLICA Guitarist Insults Metal Elite [Hot Flashes - 04.03.26 16:15:59]

Out-of-touch METALLICA guitarist Kirk Hammett spoke to the DenverPost.com recently about their former peers. Hammett commented: "You look at DEF LEPPARD, BON JOVI, JUDAS PRIEST and IRON MAIDEN, and it's a trip to see bands that were big influences on us and not relevant anymore."

And all those bands influenced Metallica?

"Well ... all of them except for Bon Jovi."

(Thanks Maidenfans.com) [/i]

...nah...I was gonna comment, but this one is WAY too easy! [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
WastedRockRanger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Kirk Hammett Makes Idiotic Remark Reply with quote

Personally, I think the whole band has turned from free-spirited rebellious rockers to being self-righteous pricks and money whores. Cheers to Jason Newsted for seeing the light and getting the hell out of Dodge. As far as the rest, f 'em and their opinions.
Dillinger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Kirk Hammett Makes Idiotic Remark Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by WastedRockRanger:
Personally, I think the whole band has turned from free-spirited rebellious rockers to being self-righteous pricks and money whores. Cheers to Jason Newsted for seeing the light and getting the hell out of Dodge. As far as the rest, f 'em and their opinions.

I think they were always pricks. I met these guys at the Omni on Oakland in what you call their "free spirited" period. They (Kirk and James) were hella rude, drunk and abusive (Lars, busy at the bar talking to fans, excluded). They were already on an anti-autographing crusade at the time. I don't see what the point of that is. They were never a truly great band with the personal qualities of the top stars as far as I am concerned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: