HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recently Turned to the Dark Side
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Free For All Forum
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Micaria

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 2:17 am    Post subject: Recently Turned to the Dark Side Reply with quote

I have recently been shown the grandeur of metal... The door has been opened and I am slowly walking through. Does anyone out there have any suggestions for where a new metal chick should start her journey? Yes, I was once a pop princess *snickers flow from the shadows.* Damn am I glad someone got me out of that... i can't believe I ever listened to pop music... *shudders* I blame my parents and the preppy backwater town I grew up in... *is ashamed of her past* So please help me!!!!!
LEV1ATHAN

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 6:13 am    Post subject: Recently Turned to the Dark Side Reply with quote

Hi Micaria! Welcome to the Hardboard, and welcome to METAL!

"Where you should start" really depends on how heavy or how recent you like your metal to be. If you liked at all, the hard rock (metal) of the 80's, check out bands like Testament (heavy), Dokken (lighter). These 2 bands, by the way, started in the early 80's, and are still going at present.

If you like more recent music... Iced Earth is quite popular among the commoners here. Come to think of it, the best thing you can do to discover new metal (or old metal you never heard) is to just keep reading the Hardboard. I learn about new metal here all the time. A recent "find" for me was Jorn Lande... check out the post titled "dam, this Jorn album is AWESOME".

Well, time for me to goto work. Again, welcome to the Hardboard and welcome to Metal music.
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 9:10 am    Post subject: Recently Turned to the Dark Side Reply with quote

Start with some classics like Heaven and Hell by Black Sabbath, Piece of Mind by Iron Maiden and Sad Wings of Destiny by Judas Priest.

Remember European metal is far better than the American stuff (Hair & Thrash metal like Danger Danger and Slayer).
Micaria

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 11:40 am    Post subject: Recently Turned to the Dark Side Reply with quote

Well I like more melodic stuff in general... The lighter stuff.. but my boyfriend is really into bands like Coal Chamber, Fear Factory and Slayer. I want to learn about all of this realm of music and be able to listen to it and like most of it. I already like Type o Negative, Amorphis, Alice in Chains, Stabbing Westward, Nirvana, Orgy and some older Sabbath stuff... my boyfriend makes me cds so that I can have access to the stuff... I like more classic metal... I'm not into the hard stuff yet but then I haven't heard much of it... Thank you all for replying to my post... I need all the help I can get. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Urizen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 6:19 pm    Post subject: Recently Turned to the Dark Side Reply with quote

if u like melodic stuff get stuff like Iron Maiden, Dream Theater, Rhapsody (Symphony Metal)
Rockangel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 7:35 pm    Post subject: Recently Turned to the Dark Side Reply with quote

From one lady to another I say, Scorpions (I'm biased as they are my fav, World Wide Live and earlier though) Iron Maiden, Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, Dio and WASP. Just my favorites. But these guys on the HB know their stuff! I've always loved metal, but never heard Iced Earth or BG before coming here. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Micaria

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 7:51 pm    Post subject: Recently Turned to the Dark Side Reply with quote

I will most certainly check out all of your suggestions... thank you... One more question how do you get the rankings?
Mijarra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 10:55 pm    Post subject: Recently Turned to the Dark Side Reply with quote

Hey Micaria...cool name! Are we possibly related? [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Crusader

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 6:24 am    Post subject: Recently Turned to the Dark Side Reply with quote

Greetings Micaria!

I warmly recommend these to you:

Saxon: U.K. band from the early N.W.O.B.H.M. days (New Wave Of British Heavy Metal... late 70's to eraly 80's). They have loads of quality material. Start with their early albums, Wheels Of Steel, Strong Arm Of The Law, Denim And Leather, and continue on from there.

Savatage: U.S. band which started out as a hard metal band, then later on they have moved on to more symphonic metal. Sirens, Power Of The Night, Hall Of The Mountain King, and Edge Of Thorns are some of the albums of theirs that are really good.

Rainbow: This band's early years (75-77) with Ronnie James Dio handling vocals, makes for very worthwhile listening. Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow, Rising, On Stage, and Long Live Rock 'N' Roll are nothing short of great albums.

Iron Maiden: Give the first two albums, Iron Maiden, and Killers, more than one listening. On those two, Paul Di'Anno was singing, and to me that is the very best period of Iron Maiden.

220 Volt: Swedish metal band from the early 80's. The band was resurrected not long ago, so new material will hopefully come from this. Anyway, their early 80's material is very good. It's melodic hard metal. 220 Volt, Power Games, Mind Over Muscle are albums you should listen to. One of the best bands Sweden had to offer during the 80's.

Raven: Also a band hailing from the N.W.O.B.H.M. Their first three albums are must haves. Rock Until You Drop, Wiped Out, All For One. Killer stuff here.

Magnum: If you're into the more melodic side of hrard rock, because I'd be lying if I said Magnum was metal, I'd recommend you listen to their early albums, because they have a very original sound. A sound they lost along the way, sadly enough. These albums represent the true sound of Magnum, Kingdom Of Madness, II, Chase The Dragon, and The 11'th Hour.

I could go on recommending bands, but I'll leave you with these for now.

Rock on!

Crusader
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Free For All Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: