HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scorpion King: Good

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Free For All Forum
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 9:51 pm    Post subject: Scorpion King: Good Reply with quote

Title says all. The movie was an 80's style action flick with current special effects. Lots of references to Conan. Its not Amelie but it certainly was as enjoyable.
Templar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 6:40 pm    Post subject: Scorpion King: Good Reply with quote

How obtrusive is the soundtrack? I don't care how good/bad the individual songs are -- I just think that fantasy movies like this need a symphonic score, like [i]Conan the Barbarian[/i]. A contemporary music soundtrack can really date a film, in a bad way. So, are the songs way in the background, only over the opening & closing credits, or can I look forward (*shudder*) to Creed and Godsmack blasting forth every time the Rock flexes a muscle?
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 6:54 pm    Post subject: Scorpion King: Good Reply with quote

I dunno. There are parts in which you can hear guitar riffs but the Godsmack song starts with the end credits.
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 1:03 am    Post subject: Scorpion King: Good Reply with quote

I might catch this in the cheap theaters. I like sword-swingin' high adventure as much as the next guy, but I'd much rather it have a lot of blood and nudity. Extreme violence and extreme earthiness is, for me, the whole point of a movie like this.
Icarus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 10:22 am    Post subject: Scorpion King: Good Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Templar:
How obtrusive is the soundtrack? I don't care how good/bad the individual songs are -- I just think that fantasy movies like this need a symphonic score, like [i]Conan the Barbarian[/i]. A contemporary music soundtrack can really date a film, in a bad way. So, are the songs way in the background, only over the opening & closing credits, or can I look forward (*shudder*) to Creed and Godsmack blasting forth every time the Rock flexes a muscle?

I totaly agree with you. There's definitely a place for rock soundtracks. Especially when a movie is meant to have a specific date stamped on it where popular music of the era is a main focus ([b]Fast Times At Ridgemont High[/b] for example). Many times I find it very annoying to hear crunching guitars during a scene that would have been better with heart pounding symphonic score. I've always thought that soundtracks can make or break a film for me.
With some movies it's a tough call. For example could [b]The Matrix[/b] have been done without the high octane techno score that will sound dated in about 10 or so years? Could a score have been written a movie with that much intensity? Personally I think with the right conductor it could have been done.
Templar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 6:43 pm    Post subject: Scorpion King: Good Reply with quote

You know, before this thread was even started I was talking over this Scorpion King movie and its soundtrack with someone at work, and I said that contemporary music soundtracks definitely had a place in some types of movies, and [b]Fast Times at Ridgemont High[/b] was the example I used. Great film, and the music added a lot to it then and still does because it captures that era so well.
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 12:54 am    Post subject: Scorpion King: Good Reply with quote

Of the numerous problems I had with _The Matrix_, I have to say that in ten years, the worst of them is probably going to be the soundtrack/look of it which is, I'llbetchaanything, gonna age very, very poorly. People in 2012 will look at it and laaaaaaaugh like we do a big-ass plaid butterfly collars.

No, wait, it was the ending. Yes. Ending sucked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Free For All Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: