HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Metal Genre and its Facets
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Free For All Forum
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bralalalala

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 6:14 am    Post subject: The Metal Genre and its Facets Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rockangel:
"I insist that one does not have to be homosexual to appreciate THE NECESSARY FLOW this music is founded on. After all, must I be a heterosexual to hear a band of heteros playing music. Must I fear their presence so greatly so as to demand them to the exit way? The road of brutality which much new metal relies on, is a precarious one to follow. I am concerned you will not live beyond a cave man style with your attitude. "

I kinda agree. However answer me this? Why do you not call Metal bands that have strait members "Heterosexual Metal?" Why catagorize a music by the sexual oreintation of those playing it? It makes no sense. It's not based on music. It's based on sexuallity. It's not even based on a spicific culture. As gay come in all cultures and backgrounds. You wouldn't claim a band is considered "heterosexual metal" because the music has nothing technically to do with that. Or perhaps they are all strait but the drummer (no offence to any drummers! [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] ) what would you all them then?

Sorry but the whole concept of "Gay Metal" is rediculious. Who a person sleeps with has nothing to do with a guitar chord.

The fact is that when something is new to people, maybe offensive for all I know, they tend to give it a term to identify it. Heterosexuality is too broad a factor that you would have too many bands under the category. The fact is that people here are explicitly frustrated with openly gay metal themes, to the point that they have announced it is worth discarding as music, the guitar chord, as you say, altoghether. So, the label, " gay metal " is good as a warning sticker for those potentially interested. I thank Exlusively Metal for creating it. I had never heard the term used before, certainly not in a serious manner. I think it is not a problem doing this, because it accepts the conflict as real. There is no heterosexual conflict per se. I don't see a lot of people posting here threatening to beat their sons for wearing pants, saying they won't listen if they wear pants. Try if you do, but it just isn't happening. We got to work with people here if we expect to make this gay metal movement really happen publicly. This puts the problem in the open, which allows genuine discussion to occur. I give you an example. I was once long long ago in a glaxy..well you know in a record store that only did metal here in northern California when such places used to exist. I never heard of "Stryper" before. So I asked the guy behind the counter. What is it like. He said, "christian metal crap. You don't want it." I was, although not Christian necessarily, very upset by the narrow minded manner this fellow presented the music. In my view, he never gave it a chance only because it was Christian. Well, I hate to say, I didn't really like the cd, but the tag was a way of telling me there was no way to know what it sounded like without hearing it myself first, becasue it was obvious this guy wasn't honest. Of course you and I are too smart for words. We don't want gay metal tags, but that is for the small minds, not for us. We need not expect to be on the same level as they do we? I think it is proper to respect their views when we talk with them.
As for whether Priest and Queen were gay metal, Priest was not confronting the subject. I don't recall if Queen admitted anything about being gay. So, right off, we know there was an illusion of heterosexuality that would deter any such tag as gay metal, even though to a degree they really were by virtue of gay singers.
Exlusively Metal is also right about wanting to know what people look like in real life in the sense that meeting people or bands in real life is just plain better than on television. One must be brave to see such people in real life, in that way you know. Wink
Lars37

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 7:18 am    Post subject: The Metal Genre and its Facets Reply with quote

Come on, people, I think we've missed the point here. The real point is that Falalalalala considers that review "earth-shattering"! To recap, here are some highlights from that "earth-shattering" review:

"Incredibly stupid name"

"I feel pretty fashion statement"

"digestible form of metal" - is THAT a compliment?

"vocals are the weakest link"

"I can't see myself listening to this often"

And THAT's a great review???
Way to AIM LOW, Braless! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Bralalalala

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 8:01 am    Post subject: The Metal Genre and its Facets Reply with quote

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lars37:
Come on, people, I think we've missed the point here. The real point is that Falalalalala considers that review "earth-shattering"! To recap, here are some highlights from that "earth-shattering" review:

"Incredibly stupid name"

"I feel pretty fashion statement"

"digestible form of metal" - is THAT a compliment?

"vocals are the weakest link"

"I can't see myself listening to this often"

And THAT's a great review???
Way to AIM LOW, Braless! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE

Naturally, I was earth shattered by his disgust for my clothing, that he felt the need to publicly crucify me. Tears came. However, the review was good in response to the new magazine label tour agency dining hall etc that exclusively metal is involved with. I was talking with him when I presented it. It was clear, the gayness would not be a problem for him whatsoever. That is important to note. See, I figured there was someone in that review, even disgusted by the alleged gayness of it all, still enjoyed the music! Imagine what, if they had no concern for the cd cover whatsoever and only played the cd part of the album?! INCREDIBLE STUFF! What more, he already said hooky, unusual, since pantera, working vocals etc as it were!! I guess you are wrong saying we could have done better.
Exclusively Metal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 8:59 am    Post subject: The Metal Genre and its Facets Reply with quote

My only wish was that people would at least check out some of the bands in this genre. Yes, it is an existing genre of Metal and an amazing one at that. Luke Skywalker never understood the power of the dark side of the force. Well, straight men do not understand the extreme pleasure of homosexuality. Listening to some of these bands in gay metal may give straight men the opportunity to travel down the path of gayness and enjoy its experiences. It will bring a smile to my face to enjoy it with them.
Bralalalala

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 9:23 am    Post subject: The Metal Genre and its Facets Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Exclusively Metal:
My only wish was that people would at least check out some of the bands in this genre. Yes, it is an existing genre of Metal and an amazing one at that. Luke Skywalker never understood the power of the dark side of the force. Well, straight men do not understand the extreme pleasure of homosexuality. Listening to some of these bands in gay metal may give straight men the opportunity to travel down the path of gayness and enjoy its experiences. It will bring a smile to my face to enjoy it with them.

Wrong bud. Like no way dude! Luke Skywalker, as a higher being had to learn the powers of the dark side to defeat them at their own game! That which is good encompasses the evil, but is good because it is greater knowing than the evil. Good is just plain better. It is not fooled! The evil is the weak, the greed, the fear. This is why it is called good. It does not lie. It tells the truth that the guitar note supercepdes all in guitar work. It is purity. It is goodness. It is real. It is genuine. It is the answer to all imperfections, insincerities, frauds, fronts, fakes, posers and the like. Your version of heterosexuality which you describe is nothing but a case engulfed in evil. The same goes for your version of homosexuality! It is all image, no guitar note with you. If it were genuine, it would be unfufilled in discussing irrelevant matters as cd covers when reviewing cd albums, in the first line, as though tantamount. The priority is the problem. Note first, perception next. Not vice versa. Get it straight or pay the price you have brought onto yourself!
THRASHCRAZED

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 9:26 am    Post subject: The Metal Genre and its Facets Reply with quote

What the f**k? I mean come on!!! Gay Metal? Where the hell did this guy come from? I'm working on getting you a huge book deal for all this rhetoric your blabbering about!
Bralalalala

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 9:38 am    Post subject: The Metal Genre and its Facets Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by THRASHCRAZED:
What the f**k? I mean come on!!! Gay Metal? Where the hell did this guy come from? I'm working on getting you a huge book deal for all this rhetoric your blabbering about!

Huh? Fascinating, but please, we must contain exclusively. I do believe he is terribly excited to the point he could be quickly perceived as a bigot if not careful. I really had to protect him on that last one!
LEV1ATHAN

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 9:52 am    Post subject: The Metal Genre and its Facets Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bralalalala:
Wrong bud. Like no way dude! Luke Skywalker, as a higher being had to learn the powers of the dark side to defeat them at their own game! That which is good encompasses the evil, but is good because it is greater knowing than the evil. Good is just plain better. It is not fooled! The evil is the weak, the greed, the fear. This is why it is called good. It does not lie. It tells the truth that the guitar note supercepdes all in guitar work. It is purity. It is goodness. It is real. It is genuine. It is the answer to all imperfections, insincerities, frauds, fronts, fakes, posers and the like. Your version of heterosexuality which you describe is nothing but a case engulfed in evil. The same goes for your version of homosexuality! It is all image, no guitar note with you. If it were genuine, it would be unfufilled in discussing irrelevant matters as cd covers when reviewing cd albums, in the first line, as though tantamount. The priority is the problem. Note first, perception next. Not vice versa. Get it straight or pay the price you have brought onto yourself!

Thats the first intelligent thing you have said in this entire thread. Let me add... If I heard some "gay metal" music, and it sounded absolutely AWESOME, but the lyrics contained filth about gay this or that, I would pass on it. HOWEVER, if it were GAY PEOPLE singing about NORMAL things, and playing good MUSIC, I would listen... Even though so many jokes came out about Judas Priest's song title's and lyrics before Rob Halford came "out of the closet", I still listen to it. Understand what I am saying? "Cock Army" and "The Apocalypse of Penetration" are by nature disgusting just by the names. No, GAY PEOPLE may not think of it that way, but straight people do! And let me also add that the GAY population tend to flaunt this disgust in your face rather than trying to live among us normally. Show me gay metal that does not contain crap like what Exclusively Metal was talking about, and I may check it out.

Bralalalala: In all fairness to you and your band... I listened and I liked the "music" a little, and did not like the vocals. If you're the singer, I am sorry if I offended you, but you asked for opinions. I gave my honest opinion, no more, no less... and I did not "dog" your band or it's music in my "review" of it. Furthermore, I will also go so far as to apologize for my harsh words in this thread aimed at you.

Exclusively Metal: In all fairness to YOU... gay metal is fine, as long as they are singing about normal things and not "gay sex" oriented things. What you bring to us to "check out" is disgusting and distastful AT BEST. Bring us normal metal performed by gay people and we may be a bit more obliged to give it a listen. And if you find someone here you like, exchange email addresses and move on... don't post it here, afterall, this is not The Gay Love Connection, it's the Hardboard... and it's about Hard Music, not Hard "anything ELSE"!!!!!!!!!
Bralalalala

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 10:12 am    Post subject: The Metal Genre and its Facets Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by LEV1ATHAN:
quote:
Originally posted by Bralalalala:

Thats the first intelligent thing you have said in this entire thread. Let me add... If I heard some "gay metal" music, and it sounded absolutely AWESOME, but the lyrics contained filth about gay this or that, I would pass on it. HOWEVER, if it were GAY PEOPLE singing about NORMAL things, and playing good MUSIC, I would listen... Even though so many jokes came out about Judas Priest's song title's and lyrics before Rob Halford came "out of the closet", I still listen to it. Understand what I am saying? "Cock Army" and "The Apocalypse of Penetration" are by nature disgusting just by the names. No, GAY PEOPLE may not think of it that way, but straight people do! And let me also add that the GAY population tend to flaunt this disgust in your face rather than trying to live among us normally. Show me gay metal that does not contain crap like what Exclusively Metal was talking about, and I may check it out.

Bralalalala: In all fairness to you and your band... I listened and I liked the "music" a little, and did not like the vocals. If you're the singer, I am sorry if I offended you, but you asked for opinions. I gave my honest opinion, no more, no less... and I did not "dog" your band or it's music in my "review" of it. Furthermore, I will also go so far as to apologize for my harsh words in this thread aimed at you.

Exclusively Metal: In all fairness to YOU... gay metal is fine, as long as they are singing about normal things and not "gay sex" oriented things. What you bring to us to "check out" is disgusting and distastful AT BEST. Bring us normal metal performed by gay people and we may be a bit more obliged to give it a listen. And if you find someone here you like, exchange email addresses and move on... don't post it here, afterall, this is not The Gay Love Connection, it's the Hardboard... and it's about Hard Music, not Hard "anything ELSE"!!!!!!!!!

cool. this concern is very gentle of you. as far as lyrics are concerned or being normal, i dont know what that normal thing is you are referring to. metal always changes. i have heard some extremely disgusting gore come from the lyrics of bands. when i sing, i use melody, not word as a foundation. the word is to suit the melody. i hope it will be appreciated that way by those who listen. i must find the sun. i shall return to review additional obstructions later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Free For All Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: