HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ONE NATION - UNDER ????
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Free For All Forum
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mijarra

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 7:05 pm    Post subject: ONE NATION - UNDER ???? Reply with quote

"Well, so much for tolerance. I guess the poor and weary can just get the heck out now, huh?"

I am not known for tolerance and never claimed to be. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] I believe that the popular desire to have "tolerence" in our country has completely changed the meaning of the word.

"So obviously the majority is not always correct and needs to be corrected on occasion."

Of course the majority isn't always correct, but democracy doesn't gaurentee the right answer all the time...it only guarentees that the majority opinion will be the dominant one. We will alwasy be searching to improve things, but we must remain within the rules we have set for ourselves or else risk our entire system crumbling.

"Er, no, they come to try to make a buck mostly."

I disagree. I'm sure that was part of the reason, but I think it goes beyond that.

"Actually it did, just the colonists didn't have direct representation "

You got me on that one. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] My "jolly old England" sentence was a little vaugue. Should have worded it differently.
Mijarra

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 7:06 pm    Post subject: ONE NATION - UNDER ???? Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rockangel:
Mijarra... if I wanted to have a god at all you'd get my vote. LOL!

But seriously, great posts throughout.

Thanks, Rockangel! When I finally take my throne as dictator of the universe your name will be on the list of those to be spared. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]
Icarus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 6:53 am    Post subject: ONE NATION - UNDER ???? Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Templar:
One of these days, some lawyer is going to make a lot of money sueing to get the government to stop recognizing religious holidays: Christmas, Hannukah, Thanksgiving, Halloween, and Easter. And of course, since honoring certain political figures against whom one might be opposed (like George Washington, Abe Lincoln and Martin Luther King, Jr.) . . .

Interesting point. I could see this happening except for the fact that most if not all (unless your the poor soul working at the gas station or donut shop), regardless of their religion gets certain days off like Chirstmas & Thanksgiving. Because of this, I don't see anyone pushing the issue too much. What I could see happening is an attempt at changing the actual name of the holiday. For example, some jackass could propose that the Chirstmas day (December 25th) could be moved a few days earlier to the 21st or 22nd and be called Winter day or some crap like that to represent the first day of Winter.
Micaria

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 12:40 pm    Post subject: ONE NATION - UNDER ???? Reply with quote

One nation under god is not necessarily a church statement... God, it isn't like they're instituting prayer time before school anymore. And in most places you're given the choice that if you don't want to say the pledge of allegiance, you can just sit there quietly until it is over. The whole under god thing is simply standing for a united nation... And after the shit that went down on September 11th, I think that something as little as the Pledge of Allegiance is only to show our respect for this nation and the people that have died to protect it and our rights... So all of you who feel that it is bs... take a look around you. Do you like the freedoms that you have? Do you like living in a country with pride and honor? Well people fought and died for us to have all of this and the least we can do is honor their memory... and teach our children to have the same respect... I don't think that it is too much to ask...

And as for what religion I am... I am not baptized under any faith... I have looked at being Pagan.... I do believe that there is a higher power... and I am probably going to become Christian... so... I hope that gives you some insight... Also... Here is a forward someone sent me... I think it fits quite well...

As a schoolboy, one of Red Skelton's teachers explained the words and meaning of the Pledge of Allegiance to his class. Skelton later wrote down, and eventually recorded, his recollection of this lecture. It is followed by an observation of his own.

I remember this one teacher. To me, he was the greatest teacher, a real sage of my time. He had such wisdom. We were all reciting the Pledge of Allegiance, and he walked over. Mr. Lasswell was his name . . . He said: "I've been listening to you boys and girls recite the Pledge of Allegiance all semester and it seems as though it is becoming monotonous to you. If I may, may I recite it and try to explain the meaning of each word:

--------------------------------------------------

I - - Me; an individual; a committee of one.

Pledge - - Dedicate all of my worldly goods to give without self-pity.

Allegiance - - My love and my devotion.

To the Flag - - Our standard; Old Glory; a symbol of Freedom; wherever she waves there is respect, because your loyalty has given her a dignity that shouts, Freedom is everybody's job.

United - - That means that we have all come together.

States - - Individual communities that have united into forty-eight great states. Forty-eight individual communities with pride and dignity and purpose. All divided with imaginary boundaries, yet united to a common purpose, and that is love for country.

And to the Republic - - Republic - a state in which sovereign power is invested in representatives chosen by the people to govern. And government is the people; and it's from the people to the leaders, not from the leaders to the people.

For which it stands

One Nation - - One Nation - meaning, so blessed by God.

Indivisible - - Incapable of being divided.

With Liberty - - Which is Freedom; the right of power to live one's own life, without threats, fear, or some sort of retaliation.

And Justice - - The principle, or qualities, of dealing fairly with others.

For All - - For All - which means, boys and girls, it's as much your country as it is mine.

--------------------------------------------------
And now, boys and girls, let me hear you recite the Pledge of Allegiance:

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic, for which it stands; one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
-----------------------------------------------
Since I was a small boy, two states have been added to our country, and two words have been added to the Pledge of Allegiance: Under God. Wouldn't it be a pity if someone said that is a prayer, and that would be eliminated from schools, too?
------------------------------------------------
Back to my posting now... I hope that this forward helped in some way... I know it gave the Pledge of Allegiance a whole new meaning for me... I think it 's a shame that once you get out of school... like high school, that the pledge isn't said anymore. I like living in this country, I like the freedoms that I have, and I owe a lot to the people who have died so that I can have all of this... If the pledge is one easy way to say thank you to them, then by God I think we should do it... (note my use of God as a word and not necessarily involving the entity his or herself...) Just think about it people, that is all that I ask... And please keep an open mind... because there are so few open minds left and if we close our minds... it will truly be a travesty...for everyone.
Mijarra

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 7:36 pm    Post subject: ONE NATION - UNDER ???? Reply with quote

Micaria...Great post!!!!
scarlettara

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 5:58 am    Post subject: ONE NATION - UNDER ???? Reply with quote

The guy who started this thing is clearly doing it just to get a little attention. He even said in his interview that he thought it was "cool" that he could get this kind of thing going and that everyone should "try it". That sounds like something a twelve year old would say. If the kids were attacking his daughter for not saying the Pledge I would understand a little more, but they aren't. She is not being forced to say anything she doesn't want to say. This is all part of a sad trend we have been seeing in this country for many years now. Some Americans seem to believe that just because they live hear they have a right to never see or hear anything that is offensive to them(this is why we no longer have man holes. Instead, now they are called person holes). They are wrong. I see things that offend me all the time(this being one of them)but I am not going to go sue someone over it.

"The whole world sucks, but America sucks a lot less."

[url=http://www.scarlettara.com]www.scarlettara.com[/url]
iwarrior

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 6:32 pm    Post subject: ONE NATION - UNDER ???? Reply with quote

The more I think about it,the more I think they should just let people say it the way they want to. There's really no need to change it. There already is an alternate version of the Pledge. Again,I'm not too concerned with it. There are more important things to get angry about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Free For All Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: