HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

U.S. Pilots and Guns, a bad idea.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Free For All Forum
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mijarra

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 10:35 pm    Post subject: U.S. Pilots and Guns, a bad idea. Reply with quote

Here's another take on profiling that maybe people here can relate a little better to. At one time I had pretty long hair looked like a typical metalhead hooligan. When I was out late, walking around town, I noticed that the cops payed a little extra attention when myself and my friends, or anyone looking like us, walked past. I also noticed that people liked to move to the other side of the sidewalk when I went by them. Was I being "profiled"? Was I being harassed? Was I being unjustly labeled as something I wasn't? Were people afraid of me for no reason? Hell yeah...BUT...justifiably so. Many people looking like I did and being out at the time of night I was were up to no good. The average cop had no way of knowing the difference between myself, a mild mannered citizen and downright wonderful guy [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] , and the average thug who was selling drugs or robbing people. So, how can we expect them to tell the difference between good guy Arabs and ones that will kill 3000 people and knock down one of our greatest national treasures? Seems like a pretty high risk to take just to avoid hurting peoples feelings.

We need to stop worrying about stepping on peoples toes, and that goes for everything from national security to the average cop on the street. I don't know if anyone caught that chase in LA the other day. After the video thing last week, the cops making the arrest treated the kid like he was a newborn baby. That makes me sick. I don't care what color a person is, if they endanger the life of a police officer, if they endanger MY life or YOUR life, or the lives of our families because of their own sheer stupidity and selfishness then they deserve to have the tar beaten out of them by a cop at the end of the chase. If people would just freakin act normal they woudn't have so many problems to begin with.

They say God watches over drunks and fools. Well that must be true because the fools seem to have more civil rights than those of us trying to do the right thing everyday.
iwarrior

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 12:41 am    Post subject: U.S. Pilots and Guns, a bad idea. Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by nuclear_x:
Here is another take on profiling,Is it profiling in south central L.A. when the whites are the minority in some areas of this county and when a cop pulls over 20 cars in one night and 16 were driven by a black?this cant be profiling in the same sense the media and the ACLU are trying to force down our throats,now what profiling is to me is you are a cop in a mostly white hood and you pull over 20 cars in a night and 16 were driven by blacks,can you see the difference?Like I said it is a known fact that terrorists are from a certain area of this world it happens to be by people with dark complexsions and reside in IRAQ,IRAN,SAUDI ARABIA,JORDAN,SYRIA,LIBYA all you have to do is look back at every terrorist bombing in the past 25 years and 99 out of a 100 WILL HAVE COME FROM THESE COUNTRIES.so there is obviously a pattern here right?well tell us how you would stop a terrorist in otherways than by a Arabic sounding name or from the list of terrorist backed countries.which the people from these countries do look a certain way,now do they? Its nice to always live in a pollyanna society and make excuses not to do the right thing,in protecting yourself this includes the anti-gun nuts, who are they to tell me I cant choose the type of gun to defend my life or another with? It is your right not to deal with guns ,not like guns I dont really care but try to see it in another light,than what the media tells us how guns are evil. whats evil is not being able to save your life with one because you may live in a state like new york or hawaii,that doesnt allow law abiding citizens to carry them,but fact is the criminals dont obey laws do they? They carry guns,use guns on helpless citizens who cant use their given right by our constitution no less,of pursueing life,liberty and happiness you cant be when a crook has you in his sights now do you?

Terrorists and criminals come in all colors and ethnicities.
iwarrior

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 1:00 am    Post subject: U.S. Pilots and Guns, a bad idea. Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mijarra:
Here's another take on profiling that maybe people here can relate a little better to. At one time I had pretty long hair looked like a typical metalhead hooligan. When I was out late, walking around town, I noticed that the cops payed a little extra attention when myself and my friends, or anyone looking like us, walked past. I also noticed that people liked to move to the other side of the sidewalk when I went by them. Was I being "profiled"? Was I being harassed? Was I being unjustly labeled as something I wasn't? Were people afraid of me for no reason? Hell yeah...BUT...justifiably so. Many people looking like I did and being out at the time of night I was were up to no good. The average cop had no way of knowing the difference between myself, a mild mannered citizen and downright wonderful guy [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] , and the average thug who was selling drugs or robbing people. So, how can we expect them to tell the difference between good guy Arabs and ones that will kill 3000 people and knock down one of our greatest national treasures? Seems like a pretty high risk to take just to avoid hurting peoples feelings.

We need to stop worrying about stepping on peoples toes, and that goes for everything from national security to the average cop on the street. I don't know if anyone caught that chase in LA the other day. After the video thing last week, the cops making the arrest treated the kid like he was a newborn baby. That makes me sick. I don't care what color a person is, if they endanger the life of a police officer, if they endanger MY life or YOUR life, or the lives of our families because of their own sheer stupidity and selfishness then they deserve to have the tar beaten out of them by a cop at the end of the chase. If people would just freakin act normal they woudn't have so many problems to begin with.

They say God watches over drunks and fools. Well that must be true because the fools seem to have more civil rights than those of us trying to do the right thing everyday.

I can remember back in the 80's when the profile for a Satanic cult member was considered a young white male with long hair.Yes,that cop was profiling you too by what you look like,and that was wrong also. Did he prevent any crime from being committed? Were sinister thoughts running through your head before you spotted that cop? Most likely,there weren't. While he was watching you,the real bad guys were getting away with murder. If that cop would have focused on your behavior(which is what he should have done),then he would not have bothered you.

The profile for a child molester is a white male. Will locking up all white males eliminate that? No. Racial profiling is sloppy,ineffective police work. All it does is create tension between law inforcement groups and the ethnic communities that are being profiled in addition to allowing criminals to slip through justice's fingers via turning a blind eye towards suspicious behavior. It also renders the Constitution meaningless. Hey,if you guys want a police state,then fine. Be careful what you wish for. Just don't complain when you get pulled over.

Oh BTW,I didn't see the cop chase in LA,but I did see the one in Englewood,CA. Was that cop justified in slamming the young man's body onto the hood of the car and getting in a left hook? Cops are supposed to apprehend criminals not beat them up.
Mijarra

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 2:23 pm    Post subject: U.S. Pilots and Guns, a bad idea. Reply with quote

Look, profiling isn't an attempt to quash anyones civil rights. It is all statistic driven. You said the average child molester is a white male. Should we lock up all white males? Of course not. But, should we be suspicious of the 40 year old white male who hangs out at the playground where the little kids are? Um...yeah we should! How about comparing the 40 year old white male to the 70 year old black lady, both being extra nice to the kids in the park. Who would you worry about, the guy or the old lady? The 40 year old white guy, right. Profiling is simply a method of putting pieces of the puzzle together, whether it be by behavior, manner of dress, appearance, nationality, religion, or even race, to better help the authorities do their job. If some people's feeling get hurt in order to get a better grip on all the jerks in this country then I really don't care.

Did I have sinister thoughts going through my head when the police were giving me a hard time? Of course not, but how would they know that? If there were 10 guys who were dressed and looked like me walking around town on a given night, and 7 of them were up to no good, what way would the cops have of knowing I wasn't one of the bad guys? They wouldn't, but if the statistics show I had a 70% chance of being a bad guy, don't you think it's pretty good use of his time to keep an eye on me? I understood this back then and I had no problem with it. I kept me nose clean for the most part, so what is there to worry about? The only time I got pi$$ed was when I was thrown out of a liquor store once, and that was b/c I had to drive half way across the city to buy my vodka. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]
Templar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 2:34 pm    Post subject: U.S. Pilots and Guns, a bad idea. Reply with quote

quote:
The only time I got pi$$ed was when I was thrown out of a liquor store once, and that was b/c I had to drive half way across the city to buy my vodka. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I got thrown out a liquor store once, too. What is it about those places? You would think the hard-drinking metal crowd would be the LAST group they'd want to alienate.
Mijarra

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 3:57 pm    Post subject: U.S. Pilots and Guns, a bad idea. Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Templar:
I got thrown out a liquor store once, too. What is it about those places? You would think the hard-drinking metal crowd would be the LAST group they'd want to alienate.

Seriously! I used to give that place a lot of business! The thing was, the lady was making me fill out one of those cards where you give your information or whatever. I didn't mind. I was about 22 or 23, and I had to fill one out a few times before this. It's only supposed to take a minute or so, but this lady had me hung up for about 15 minutes. She kept asking for different forms of ID, asking me all these stupid questions, and then questioning the answers I gave her like I wasn't telling the truth. So, I'd had about enough. I had been in that store so many times and never had any problem before this. I told her what I thought of her procedure and her attitude, she told me she wasn't going to sell to me and I should leave, I said fine and called her some selected names with many adjectives in front of them and left the store.

The next Monday I called the manager and explained it all to him. He was very nice and apologetic and said they had problems with that lady before. Maybe she was sampling too much of the stock. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] So, it had a happy ending in that I was once again able to return to the store and happily purchase my 100 proof Absolut and Southern Comfort.
Desslar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 5:18 pm    Post subject: U.S. Pilots and Guns, a bad idea. Reply with quote

Heck, I though this thread was about the U.S. Air Force. In which case, I would agree that they're pretty dangerous with guns. You never know who they're going to shoot at.
iwarrior

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 9:20 am    Post subject: U.S. Pilots and Guns, a bad idea. Reply with quote

quote:
Look, profiling isn't an attempt to quash anyones civil rights. It is all statistic driven. You said the average child molester is a white male. Should we lock up all white males? Of course not. But, should we be suspicious of the 40 year old white male who hangs out at the playground where the little kids are? Um...yeah we should! How about comparing the 40 year old white male to the 70 year old black lady, both being extra nice to the kids in the park. Who would you worry about, the guy or the old lady? The 40 year old white guy, right. Profiling is simply a method of putting pieces of the puzzle together, whether it be by behavior, manner of dress, appearance, nationality, religion, or even race, to better help the authorities do their job. If some people's feeling get hurt in order to get a better grip on all the jerks in this country then I really don't care.

Did I have sinister thoughts going through my head when the police were giving me a hard time? Of course not, but how would they know that? If there were 10 guys who were dressed and looked like me walking around town on a given night, and 7 of them were up to no good, what way would the cops have of knowing I wasn't one of the bad guys? They wouldn't, but if the statistics show I had a 70% chance of being a bad guy, don't you think it's pretty good use of his time to keep an eye on me? I understood this back then and I had no problem with it. I kept me nose clean for the most part, so what is there to worry about? The only time I got pi$$ed was when I was thrown out of a liquor store once, and that was b/c I had to drive half way across the city to buy my vodka. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

We just had a case here in Pittsburgh where a guy was hanging around playgrounds blaring the Barney theme song. That guy should have definitely been profiled,not because of how he looked but because of his behavior. If you and your buddies are wandering around a strange neighborhood aimlessly,disturbing residents and being obnoxious or acting sneaky and checking out homes,then yes you should be stopped by an officer. My problem is profiling solely on race. To pull over a black guy for simply driving at night is wrong.Now if that black guy is driving erratically or very slow and looking around,then he should be pulled over. If ANYONE is doing that,they should be pulled over. If ANY adult is hanging around an elementary school staring at kids,then they should by all means be questioned.If ANYONE is acting suspicious on an airplane,then they should be questioned and searched.

Should Arabs be banned from flying? Would that end terrorism? That's where we are headed,and it's a little scary.
Icarus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 7:01 am    Post subject: U.S. Pilots and Guns, a bad idea. Reply with quote

quote:

Dude, you hit the nail on the head. I think people see/ hear what the news outlets have to offer and draw conclusions based on the sensationalism portrayed by the reporter/ news person, etc. I think people for the most part think that racial profiling is cops looking into the window of a car as it drives by and then turning on the sirens and lights when he see's that he is a black man driving. While there may be a few bad seeds (cops) who practice this, that is not what racial profiling is all about.

quote:
Originally posted by iwarrior:
We just had a case here in Pittsburgh where a guy was hanging around playgrounds blaring the Barney theme song.

The Barney theme song is bad enough, nevermind what the dude is thinking in his head.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Free For All Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: